Damped oscillator- graphical interpretation

In summary, the conversation discusses the damped oscillator equation and how to measure its angular frequency using a graph. The equation includes a term for angular frequency, but it is not directly visible on the graph. However, by considering the time between peaks in the graph, it is possible to calculate the angular frequency of the damped oscillator. The conversation also includes a clarification that the angular frequency is ω and not w0.
rsaad
Hi!
The damped oscillator equation is as follows:
x(t)= A exp(γt/2) cos(ωt)

where ω= √( (w0)^2 + (γ^2)/4 )

I have attached a graph of a damped oscillator.
The question is if I use graph to measure angular frequency, will it be w0 or ω?

It should be w0 because if I put γ=0, I should be getting the normal undamped system. The enveloped curve would disappear since exp(γt/2) is 1. BUT then where is ω on the graph!

Attachments

• damped.png
    damped.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
How can u expect ω in an x-t graph? You will have to calculate.

of course I know that. Let m rephrase. The time T between successive maxima is constant. So I consider the complete oscillations, k, for a given time, t. To get angular frequency, W= k* 2pi/t
The question is, what is this this W? is it w0 or is it the angular frequency ω of the damped oscillator

it is the angular frequency of damped oscillator.

The answer to your question is ω. Peaks in the damped sinusoid [itex]e^{-kx} cos(\omega t)[/itex]occur a little before the peaks in the pure sinusoid [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex], but by the same amount each time, so the time between peaks is the same as that between the peaks in [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex].

Philip Wood;4113337Peaks in the damped sinusoid [itex said:
e^{-kx} cos(\omega t)[/itex]occur a little before the peaks in the pure sinusoid [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex], but by the same amount each time, so the time between peaks is the same as that between the peaks in [itex]cos(\omega t)[/itex].

An easier way to see the anwer is ##\omega## is to think about the times when x(t) = 0. They are the roots of ##\cos \omega t = 0##.

AlephZero. Agree, but thought rsaad (in post 3) was worried about maxima.

Related to Damped oscillator- graphical interpretation

What is a damped oscillator?

A damped oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior, but with decreasing amplitude over time due to the presence of damping forces.

How is a damped oscillator graphically represented?

A damped oscillator is usually represented graphically with a plot of displacement or velocity versus time. The graph will typically show a decaying sinusoidal curve.

What is the significance of the damping coefficient in a damped oscillator?

The damping coefficient in a damped oscillator represents the strength of the damping force and determines how quickly the amplitude of the oscillations decreases.

What happens to a damped oscillator over time?

Over time, a damped oscillator will gradually lose energy and come to rest at its equilibrium position due to the dissipative effects of damping.

How does the damping coefficient affect the frequency of a damped oscillator?

The damping coefficient has a direct relationship with the frequency of a damped oscillator. A higher damping coefficient will result in a lower frequency and longer period of oscillation.