Dampening the travelling wave a wave

• Thread starter DannyCov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics of a guitar string and the desire to replicate the finger plucking effect. It is mentioned that violinists use vibrating fingers to change the sound, and the person asking the question is specifically looking to model the frictional causes of plucking a string with fingers instead of a plectrum.
DannyCov
Hi everyone,

Regarding the physics of a guitar sting-

I don’t know if this is possible! But does anyone have any idea how I could cause a string to be dampened,
and then gradually fade off?

- I want to replicate the finger plucking effect of a guitar string.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dont violinists vibrate their fingers on the string to change the sound up near the neck.

I'm guessing you play guitar =P

I'm in my schools orchestra and cyrus is right about the thing with the vibrating fingers, they sort of wiggle their hands up and down to give their notes more color and less of that unwanted screechy tone but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

when you do this are you going to be doing it on your guitar or are you trying to replicate it with something else?

Yeah its a guitar string model I’m after, in particular i want to model the frictional causes somebody plucking a string with their fingers opposed to a 'clean' strike with a plectrum.

FAQ: Dampening the travelling wave a wave

1. What is "dampening the travelling wave"?

"Dampening the travelling wave" refers to the process of reducing the amplitude or energy of a wave as it travels through a medium. This is commonly done to prevent the wave from becoming too strong and causing damage.

2. How is a travelling wave dampened?

A travelling wave can be dampened in several ways, depending on the specific type of wave and medium it is travelling through. Some common methods include absorption, where the energy of the wave is converted into another form, and scattering, where the wave is redirected in different directions.

3. What are the benefits of dampening a travelling wave?

Dampening a travelling wave can have several benefits, such as reducing the potential for damage or destruction, improving the efficiency of the wave's transmission, and minimizing interference with other waves in the same medium.

4. Are there any drawbacks to dampening a travelling wave?

Yes, there can be some drawbacks to dampening a travelling wave. In some cases, the dampening process can also reduce the strength or intensity of the desired signal, leading to a loss of information. Additionally, the equipment and methods used for dampening can be expensive and complex.

5. How is dampening a travelling wave relevant in scientific research?

Dampening travelling waves is a crucial aspect of many scientific fields, such as acoustics, optics, and seismology. It allows researchers to control and manipulate waves for various purposes, such as studying their properties, transmitting information, and designing new technologies.