Dark Matter: 6-Quark Particle?

In summary, the idea presented in this article is that hexaquarks could be a dark matter candidate. However, the authors do not seem to have a strong case for this idea.
Physics news on Phys.org
We know the total amount of baryonic matter from big bang nucleosynthesis and the cosmic microwave background. I don't see how such an addition could have stayed undetected. The authors don't discuss this at all, which is a bad sign.

Likes Haelfix, vanhees71 and BWV
This requires that a particle that is only seen (and not very cleanly at that) in one experiment be real, and also to form a condensate that increases its lifetime by forty orders of magnitude. Furthermore, the authors don't even discuss the impact of this idea on BBN, the most powerful constraint on hadronic candidates.

Likes Haelfix, vanhees71 and BWV
I don't quite understand how this could be a dark matter candidate as it is made up of charged particles (quarks) thus should interact with light ... which, by definition, makes it matter not dark matter

Likes vanhees71
AndyG said:
I don't quite understand how this could be a dark matter candidate as it is made up of charged particles (quarks) thus should interact with light ... which, by definition, makes it matter not dark matter
Neutron has a magnetic dipole moment but no charge. Plenty of nuclei have no dipole moment.
If a nucleus were stable and had no charge, how much cross-section would it have to scatter photons elastically? To scatter other nuclei strongly?

Neutron has no charge but does consist of quarks and does interact with light (and other matter) ...

mfb said:
We know the total amount of baryonic matter from big bang nucleosynthesis and the cosmic microwave background. I don't see how such an addition could have stayed undetected. The authors don't discuss this at all, which is a bad sign.
I'm not defending the hypothesis, but I think the idea is that these Bose-Einstein condensates of hexaquarks condensed out before big bang nucleosynthesis. Then they would not impact the total amount of baryonic matter we see from BBN or the CMB.

I didn't get the impression that they would be bound enough to not matter during BBN.

But hexaquarks are still strongly interacting guys and thus everything else than "dark", or do I miss something in the argument?

FAQ: Dark Matter: 6-Quark Particle?

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It is thought to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe.

2. What is a 6-quark particle?

A 6-quark particle is a theoretical subatomic particle that is made up of six quarks. Quarks are elementary particles that make up protons and neutrons, which are the building blocks of atoms.

3. How is dark matter related to 6-quark particles?

Some theories propose that dark matter is made up of 6-quark particles, specifically a type called "axions." These particles are predicted by the theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD) and are thought to be extremely light and weakly interacting.

4. How does dark matter affect the universe?

Dark matter plays a crucial role in the universe by providing the gravitational force necessary to hold galaxies and galaxy clusters together. Without dark matter, these structures would not have enough mass to maintain their shape and would eventually break apart.

5. How is dark matter being studied?

Scientists are studying dark matter in a variety of ways, including through astronomical observations, particle accelerator experiments, and theoretical calculations. Some experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider, are specifically designed to search for 6-quark particles that could be a component of dark matter.