Dark matter and gravitational pull of energy

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about dark matter, including how its gravitational pull is calculated, its predicted shape around galaxies, and the effects of dark energy. The expert explains that the total energy of an object is included in its mass, and that dark matter is theorized to not interact with itself. They also clarify that dark energy is not a type of energy that gravitates, but rather a force causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate.
guss
I have been looking into dark matter recently, and I have three questions.

When calculating what the gravitational pull of an object should be, do they account only for the mass of that object, or do they account for the total energy of that object? For example, a star will have a lot of mass, but it will also have tons of gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy, and other energy. It seems to me like this energy, especially the gravitational potential energy, should be extremely large.

Another question I have is about the shape of the supposed cluster of dark matter that surrounds galaxies. Is it predicted to be a filled-in sphere of matter? Why would it exhibit that shape when it is attracted to matter, like stars - shouldn't it nearly model the visible galaxy's shape?

The last question (or idea) I have is concerning the gravitational effects of dark energy. Since this sort of energy is inherent everywhere, and energy is attracted to matter, shouldn't this energy be more dense within galaxies? I doubt this question is very answerable, but I am curious.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
guss said:
I have been looking into dark matter recently, and I have three questions.

When calculating what the gravitational pull of an object should be, do they account only for the mass of that object, or do they account for the total energy of that object? For example, a star will have a lot of mass, but it will also have tons of gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy, and other energy. It seems to me like this energy, especially the gravitational potential energy, should be extremely large.

The total energy of the object also adds to the mass, so when we measure the mass of a star the contribution from energy is already included. Although one must be careful when talking about energy, as a star has no gravitational potential energy or kinetic in regards to itself. (I mean the star as a whole, not the gas that composes it that releases it's potential energy through heat and fusion) So when defining what the potential gravitational energy or kinetic energy is you must define it in reference to another frame other than the star.

Another question I have is about the shape of the supposed cluster of dark matter that surrounds galaxies. Is it predicted to be a "solid" sphere of matter? Why would it exhibit that shape when it is attracted to matter, like stars - shouldn't it nearly model the visible galaxy's shape?

No, dark matter is theorized to not interact with itself other than through gravity. So it doesn't clump up as it falls into itself, it just passes through until gravity slows it and pulls it back in for another pass. Thus most of the dark matter in galaxies is in a "halo" around the galaxy, as it is moving the slowest at this point and spends most of it's time in the outer areas. (Similar to a highly elliptical orbit of an object around a star. The object spends most of its time far away from the star)

The last question (or idea) I have is concerning the gravitational effects of dark energy. Since this sort of energy is inherent everywhere, and energy is attracted to matter, shouldn't this energy be more dense within galaxies? I doubt this question is very answerable, but I am curious.

Thanks!

Don't think of dark energy as "normal" energy that gravitates. Instead dark energy is viewed as a force that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate.

Thanks!

FAQ: Dark matter and gravitational pull of energy

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not interact with light or other electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes. Its existence is inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How does dark matter affect the gravitational pull of energy?

Dark matter is thought to make up about 85% of the total mass of the universe, while visible matter only makes up about 15%. This means that dark matter has a much stronger gravitational pull than visible matter, and it affects the movements and interactions of energy through its gravitational force.

3. How do scientists study dark matter and its gravitational pull?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study dark matter, including observing the rotation of galaxies, measuring gravitational lensing, and studying the large-scale structure of the universe. These methods allow scientists to indirectly observe the effects of dark matter's gravitational pull on visible matter.

4. Is dark matter the same as dark energy?

No, dark matter and dark energy are two different things. While dark matter is a type of matter that has mass and exerts a gravitational pull, dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

5. What are some potential implications of dark matter and its gravitational pull?

The existence of dark matter and its strong gravitational pull have a significant impact on the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the overall structure of the universe. Understanding dark matter could also lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe.