Darshit P's question at Yahoo Answers regarding conservation of energy

In summary, the question asks for the minimum speed needed for a 200g puck to make it to the top of a 3.7m long, 26 degree frictionless ramp. The solution involves equating the initial kinetic energy of the puck to its final gravitational potential energy, and using the sine function to determine the height of the ramp. The minimum speed is calculated to be approximately 5.64 m/s. The person responding also invites others to post similar problems in a forum for further assistance.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

I need help in physics!?

What minimum speed does a 200g puck need to make it to the top of a 3.7m -long, 26 degrees frictionless ramp?

Here is a link to the question:

I need help in physics!? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Darshit P,

Initially the puck has kinetic energy, and finally it has gravitational potential energy, and since only conservative forces are at work, we may equate the two:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2=mgh\)

Multiply through by \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{m}\):

\(\displaystyle v_i^2=2gh\)

Take the positive root since we are asked for speed:

\(\displaystyle v_i=\sqrt{2gh}\)

Now, we need to know the height $h$ of the ramp. Let $L$ be the length of the ramp and $\theta$ be the angle of inclination. From the definition of the sine function, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{h}{L}\,\therefore\,h=L \sin(\theta)\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle v_i=\sqrt{2gL\sin(\theta)}\)

Now, plugging in the given and known data, we find:

\(\displaystyle v_i=\sqrt{2\left(9.8\,\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}^2} \right)(3.7\text{ m})\sin\left(26^{\circ} \right)}\approx5.64\,\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\)

To Darshit P and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other algebra based physics problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f22/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

FAQ: Darshit P's question at Yahoo Answers regarding conservation of energy

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

Conservation of energy applies to everyday life in many ways, such as the energy we use to power our homes, cars, and electronic devices. It also applies to the food we eat, as it contains energy that our bodies use for various functions.

3. What are some examples of conservation of energy in action?

Some examples of conservation of energy in action include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a ball rolling down a hill, and a car's engine converting chemical energy into mechanical energy to move the car.

4. How does conservation of energy relate to the environment?

Conservation of energy is closely related to the environment as it helps us understand the impact of energy usage on our planet. By conserving energy, we can reduce our carbon footprint and lessen the negative effects of energy production on the environment.

5. What are the consequences of not conserving energy?

The consequences of not conserving energy can include depletion of natural resources, increased pollution, and negative impacts on the environment, such as climate change. It can also lead to higher energy costs and strain on energy infrastructure.

Back