Data analysis with fortran/c or simulink

In summary: Do you want to take the average of all the numbers in the two columns?In summary, the conversation is about trying to write an algorithm to process data from .txt files containing two columns of measurements. The purpose of the algorithm is unclear as it involves reading and cutting data from the second column and taking averages, but the specifics of what data to use and how to take the averages are not mentioned. The person requesting help is not familiar with the programming language needed and is hoping for assistance.
jameshowlett
Hello,

Lately i had my XPS measurements from my collegue. data files are .txt files and contains two column and thousends of rows of consequent measurements of same region. i mean

81.510 aa.bbb
91.870 cc.ddd
81.510 ee.fff
91.870 gg.hhh

the reason of consequent measurements is to increase statistics. the algorithm which i want to write; reads/follows the first column till 81.510 to 91.970, cuts the data from second column, and creates a txt file, then scans the whole data again, finds the second interval, cuts the data from second column, add to the first file which it wrote and takes the avarage of first and second data. as a result i want to take all consequent measurement results and take to avarages of all.

Because i did not used fortran since i graduated. that's why i don't know how to start. but i still remember basics...

I will be so glad if you can help and thanks in advance

Technology news on Phys.org
jameshowlett said:
Hello,

Lately i had my XPS measurements from my collegue. data files are .txt files and contains two column and thousends of rows of consequent measurements of same region. i mean

81.510 aa.bbb
91.870 cc.ddd
81.510 ee.fff
91.870 gg.hhh

the reason of consequent measurements is to increase statistics. the algorithm which i want to write; reads/follows the first column till 81.510 to 91.970, cuts the data from second column, and creates a txt file, then scans the whole data again, finds the second interval, cuts the data from second column, add to the first file which it wrote and takes the avarage of first and second data. as a result i want to take all consequent measurement results and take to avarages of all.

Because i did not used fortran since i graduated. that's why i don't know how to start. but i still remember basics...

I will be so glad if you can help and thanks in advance
Your description is pretty vague. Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do? There are several things you said that are unclear to me.
1) "reads/follows the first column till 81.510 to 91.970" - does this mean read the first group of numbers in the first column?
2) "cuts the data from second column" - does this mean ignore the values in the second column?
3) "takes the avarage of first and second data" - I don't see the purpose in this. You can have two sets of completely different numbers for which the averages of the two sets are equal. For example {1, 3, 5, 7} and {2, 2, 2, 2}. The average (mean) of each set is 2, but that doesn't tell you a whole lot about the two sets.
4) "and take to avarages of all" - what does this mean?

FAQ: Data analysis with fortran/c or simulink

1. What is the purpose of using Fortran/C or Simulink for data analysis?

Fortran/C and Simulink are popular programming languages and software tools used for data analysis. The purpose of using these tools is to process and analyze large amounts of data efficiently and accurately.

2. What are the advantages of using Fortran/C or Simulink for data analysis?

One of the main advantages of using Fortran/C or Simulink for data analysis is their speed and efficiency. These programming languages are optimized for numerical computations, making them well-suited for handling large datasets. They also have a wide range of built-in functions and libraries that make data analysis tasks easier to perform.

3. Can Fortran/C or Simulink handle different types of data?

Yes, Fortran/C and Simulink are versatile tools that can handle various types of data, including numerical, text, and graphical data. They also have the capability to read and write data from different file formats, making it easier to work with different types of data in the same analysis.

4. Is it difficult to learn Fortran/C or Simulink for data analysis?

Learning Fortran/C or Simulink for data analysis can be challenging for those who are new to programming. However, with practice and proper guidance, it is possible to become proficient in using these tools for data analysis. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started.

5. Can I visualize data using Fortran/C or Simulink?

Yes, Fortran/C and Simulink have powerful visualization capabilities that allow users to create graphs, charts, and other visual representations of their data. This makes it easier to interpret and present the results of data analysis in a meaningful way.