Data comparison and noise measurement

In summary, the author wants to measure the signal noise in a tv cable after introducing a splitter and compare it with the original signal. A DSO is needed for a "good test", and depending on the frequency range the author is interested in, the cost of the instrument could be quite high.
taupune
Hi,
I would like to measure the signal noise in a tv cable after introducing a splitter and compare it with the original signal.

Keeping in mind the bandwidth frequency of the tv cable signal transmission, what kind of instrument do I need? Oscilloscope perhaps? At what speed? I don't know yet the cable info, but I am searching for it and trying to make sense out of all that jargon.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
taupune,

Yes, a DSO (Digital Storage Oscilloscope) would be the right answer. For a "good test", you will need a two channel DSO. Depending on the frequency range you are interested in this may be a rather serious investment. A DSO capable of accurately analyzing noise in a 7mhz to 1Ghz signal is a fairly high-tech piece of equipment. Lecroy makes some nice scopes in the > 1Ghz frequency range, and they are everything except cheap. If you are only interested in the lower frequency channels, there are some very decent scopes available for orders of magnitude less money. You can find fairly decent DSO's with bandwidths < 100mhz for less than $1000usd. To get > 1Ghz scopes you are looking @ $20k+.

While I think a DSO is an essential part of a good hobbyist's tool kit, looking @ analog or digital cable signals is pretty mind-numbing unless you have some specific purpose in mind. It might be a good idea to simply state what you are attempting to do (If you want the SNR of a cable splitter, it should be plainly written on the package, or available from the MFG, so I am assuming this is NOT what you are truly after.)

Fish

I want to put an amplifier right after the cable splitter and see what will I get. Will I get better signal compared to the datasheet or no.
I checked on digikey and they had opamp in the commercial amplifiers for only a few bucks.

So yeah, I want the SNR but of my own homemade device.
I will see if I can find ony digital storage oscilloscope laying around my basement ( I meant school labs :) )

This is the type of measurement that can be as difficult or as "easy" as you want. You can't use a DSO to "properly" measure noise, for that one usually uses a spectrum analyser. You also have to decide what "kind" of noise you want to measure (phase noise? Or are you looking for the SNR)), another important parameter is the distortion.

Noise measurements are very tricky, and in order to do it properly you need the right tools and quite a bit of knowledge.

You also have to decide what "kind" of noise you want to measure (phase noise? Or are you looking for the SNR)), another important parameter is the distortion.

What type of noise is created by adding two cables together with a splicer?
I think I need SNR, don't I?
I have been reading a book about cables but its really deep and thick one. it can be probably used for graduate studies. There is too much info in it.

If i put an amplifier would it create any phase distortion?

Thank you f95toli.

Related to Data comparison and noise measurement

1. What is data comparison and why is it important?

Data comparison is the process of evaluating and analyzing data from multiple sources to identify similarities, differences, and patterns. It is important because it allows scientists to draw meaningful conclusions and make informed decisions based on the data collected.

2. How do you compare data from different sources?

Data comparison can be done through various methods such as visual inspection, statistical analysis, and data mining techniques. The method used will depend on the type of data and the research question being investigated.

3. What is noise and how does it affect data measurement?

Noise refers to any unwanted or random variation in data. It can be caused by factors such as equipment limitations, environmental conditions, or human error. Noise can affect data measurement by making it difficult to accurately distinguish between signal and background noise, leading to inaccurate or unreliable results.

4. How do you measure and reduce noise in data?

Noise can be measured by calculating the standard deviation or signal-to-noise ratio of the data. To reduce noise, scientists can use techniques such as data filtering, averaging, or increasing the sample size. Proper experimental design and careful data collection can also help minimize noise in data.

5. What are some common sources of noise in data measurement?

Some common sources of noise in data measurement include electrical interference, thermal noise, measurement error, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Human factors such as fatigue or inconsistent measurement techniques can also contribute to noise in data.