DC Circuit Analysis & Thevenin Problem

In summary, the student attempted to solve a Thevenin equivalent for a circuit attached to a voltage source, but got incorrect results. He then realized that he had forgotten to include the Thevenin resistance of the first Thevenin "slice" in the calculations of the next one, and resolved the issue by working from left to right.
elecstudent1

Homework Statement

Need to establish a Thevenin equivalent for the circuit attached.

Homework Equations

None given. Need to use Kirchhoff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the following:
I said that R3 and R4 are in series as there is no current splitting because 0A flows into the open-circuit.

Then I said that R2 is // to (R3+R4) and modeled that as a new resistor R6 with a value of 2.25 k-ohms. I then said that R1 is in series with this R6 and got a new R7 of 3.25 k-ohms. I then worked out the current is 3.7 mA.

I then wrote that the Vth (Thevenin Voltage) is equal to the p.d. over R4 relative to ground which was 3.7 mA * 5 k-ohm which ends up around 18 V so it's clearly wrong.

Any advice please?

Attachments

• Circuit1.png
    Circuit1.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
elecstudent1 said:

Homework Statement

Need to establish a Thevenin equivalent for the circuit attached.

Homework Equations

None given. Need to use Kirchhoff.

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out the following:
I said that R3 and R4 are in series as there is no current splitting because 0A flows into the open-circuit.

Then I said that R2 is // to (R3+R4) and modeled that as a new resistor R6 with a value of 2.25 k-ohms. I then said that R1 is in series with this R6 and got a new R7 of 3.25 k-ohms. I then worked out the current is 3.7 mA.

I then wrote that the Vth (Thevenin Voltage) is equal to the p.d. over R4 relative to ground which was 3.7 mA * 5 k-ohm which ends up around 18 V so it's clearly wrong.

Any advice please?

Work from left to right (from the voltage source towards the load) rather than the other way as you've done. Since the load is connected across R4 it shouldn't be a series element of the Thevenin resistance...

One way to approach it is to work from left to right making intermediate Thevenin equivalents as you "swallow up" successive components.

Ok thanks. I tried that and I got a p.d. across R2 of 9V which I used as a "new" power source for the 2nd loop.

After doing the 2nd loop, I ended up with 5V as my Thevenin voltage. Is that right?

elecstudent1 said:
Ok thanks. I tried that and I got a p.d. across R2 of 9V which I used as a "new" power source for the 2nd loop.

After doing the 2nd loop, I ended up with 5V as my Thevenin voltage. Is that right?

Not quite. I think you've forgotten to include the Thevenin resistance of the first Thevenin "slice" in the calculations of the next one; remember that a Thevenin model consists of both a voltage source and a series resistance...

Sorry for the late reply but just letting you know I figured it out. It's actually very straightforward and I was just overcomplicating it for myself (as usual). Thanks for your help!

Related to DC Circuit Analysis & Thevenin Problem

1. What is DC Circuit Analysis?

DC Circuit Analysis is the process of analyzing and understanding the behavior of an electrical circuit that operates with direct current (DC) as opposed to alternating current (AC). This involves calculating the current, voltage, and power at various points in the circuit using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws.

2. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem states that a complex electrical network can be simplified into an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor, known as the Thevenin equivalent. This allows for easier analysis of the circuit and can be used to determine the voltage and current at any point in the original network.

3. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To find the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you must first remove the load resistor from the original circuit and calculate the open-circuit voltage (Voc) at the load terminals. Next, calculate the short-circuit current (Isc) at the load terminals. The Thevenin voltage (Vth) is equal to Voc, and the Thevenin resistance (Rth) is equal to Voc / Isc. These values can then be used to construct the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

4. What is the purpose of Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is used to simplify complex electrical circuits into a more manageable equivalent circuit. This makes it easier to analyze the circuit and determine the behavior of the circuit under different conditions. It is also useful for circuit design and troubleshooting.

5. What are some real-world applications of DC Circuit Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem?

DC Circuit Analysis and Thevenin's Theorem are used in a wide range of applications, including electronic circuit design, power distribution systems, and telecommunications. They are also used in renewable energy systems such as solar panels and batteries, as well as in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones.