DC Circuit: Single vs. Two Bulbs Connected

In summary, when two light bulbs are connected in series to the same battery, the battery outputs less current, as the total resistance is doubled. This results in the second circuit having less current and less power than the first circuit with a single bulb. Therefore, the first circuit produces the most light.
leoflc
First one light bulb is connected to a battery. Then two are connected in series to
the same battery.
Here's the picture:
http://home.comcast.net/~chou55/bulb.gif

A) When two are connected, the battery puts out
a) less current
b) more current
c) less voltage
d) the same current

B) Which arrangement puts out the most light?
a) The single bulb
b) The two bulbs
c) Both arrangements put out the same total amount of light
----------------------------------------------------------------
A)
I put (a) because [itex]V=IR_eq[/itex],
so[itex]I_1 = \frac {V}{R} [/itex]
and [itex]I_2 = \frac {V}{2R} [/itex]
Therefore, the second circuit has less current.
However, I heard because it's a serial circuit, so current should not change.
But I don't know how to prove that..

B)
I got (a)
because
From [itex]P = I^2 R [/itex]
I got [itex]P_1 = \frac {V^2}{R} [/itex]
and [itex]P_2 = \frac {V^2}{2R} [/itex]
so the first circuit it brighter.
But if the current is the same for both circuit, wouldn't the total light for the second circuit = the first circuit?
----------------------------------------------------------
I'm kind of confused now... :confused:
Could anyone help me out?
Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in both cases.

When you put two bulbs in series, you are doubling the total resistance as compared to a single bulb. This cuts the current in half (as Ohm's law indicates), and thus cuts the power in half also.

- Warren

I see..
Thanks!

Related to DC Circuit: Single vs. Two Bulbs Connected

1. How does connecting two bulbs in a DC circuit affect the brightness of each bulb?

Connecting two bulbs in a DC circuit will result in a decrease in brightness for both bulbs. This is because the voltage in the circuit is divided between the two bulbs, resulting in a lower voltage being supplied to each bulb.

2. What is the difference between connecting two bulbs in series and in parallel in a DC circuit?

In series, the two bulbs are connected end-to-end, resulting in a single path for the current to flow through. In parallel, the two bulbs are connected side-by-side, creating two separate paths for the current to flow through. This affects the overall resistance and brightness of the bulbs.

3. Can I use different wattage bulbs in a DC circuit without affecting the overall circuit?

Yes, you can use different wattage bulbs in a DC circuit without affecting the overall circuit. However, the bulb with the higher wattage will draw more current and will be brighter than the bulb with the lower wattage. This can result in an imbalance in the circuit and may cause the bulbs to burn out faster.

4. Will connecting more bulbs in parallel increase the overall brightness in a DC circuit?

Yes, connecting more bulbs in parallel will increase the overall brightness in a DC circuit. This is because each bulb will receive the full voltage of the circuit, resulting in a brighter output.

5. What happens if one bulb in a series circuit burns out?

If one bulb in a series circuit burns out, the circuit will be broken and all the bulbs will turn off. This is because the current can no longer flow through the broken circuit. In a parallel circuit, the other bulbs will continue to function as they are on a separate path from the broken bulb.