(DC motor derive ω expression with respect time

In summary, the conversation revolves around trying to derive the expression of angular velocity (ω) with respect to time (t) in a given equation, but facing difficulty due to the unknown variables of armature current (Ia) and magnetic flux (ø). Suggestions are given to either find a way to solve for Ia or substitute it in the equation, however, the armature resistance being negligible is not taken into account in the derivation. The physical property represented by ø is magnetic flux. The conversation ends with a discussion on the steps of derivation and the possibility of the solution being correct.
tcuay

Homework Statement

I try to derive the expression of ω with respect to t,
but the problem is the armature current Ia or the flux is unknown. I don't know how to solve it.
Anyone could give me ideas? Thanks a lot

Homework Equations

τ=J(ω/t)
Vs=IaRa+Ea
T=KEøIa
Ea=KEøω

Attachments

• DC.png
    DC.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
Either (a) you are mistaken, and there is some way to find Ia, or (b) you can make a substitution for Ia so the term no longer appears in the equation - like you do with simultaneous equations.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Either (a) you are mistaken, and there is some way to find Ia, or (b) you can make a substitution for Ia so the term no longer appears in the equation - like you do with simultaneous equations.
Thanks for your reply.
I did in the following steps:
1.J(ω/t)=KøIa;
2. and then substitute Ia from Vs=IaRa+Ea into 1;
finally, i got:
ω=Vs/(Kø+JRa/Køt)

But it turns out the term ø cannot be eliminated and it is unknown.
Where am i wrong?

But it turns out the term ø cannot be eliminated and it is unknown.
Really?
What physical property does "ø" represent?

τ=J(ω/t)
... isn't that supposed to be: $$\tau=J\frac{d\omega}{dt}$$...??

ω=Vs/(Kø+JRa/Køt)
recheck your algebra there...
how did you get this from what went before?

The fact they give you a bunch of initial values suggests to me you should look for a DE.

Last edited:
ø is the magnetic flux.
i have double checked for it, the deriving process should be right.
and it seems reasonable if t approaches infinity
Vs=Køω quite similar to Ea=Køω

Derivation:
i have double checked for it, the deriving process should be right.
... So long as you are sure.

You don't appear to have used the fact that the armature resistance is "negligible".

What does that do to the derivation?

Related to (DC motor derive ω expression with respect time

1. What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is a type of electric motor that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a stator, which provides a stationary magnetic field, and a rotor, which carries the armature winding and rotates in response to the magnetic field.

2. How does a DC motor work?

When a DC voltage is applied to the armature winding, a magnetic field is generated, which interacts with the stator's magnetic field. This produces a torque that causes the rotor to rotate. As the rotor spins, the commutator and brushes switch the direction of current flow, maintaining the rotation in one direction.

3. What is the expression for angular velocity (ω) of a DC motor with respect to time?

The expression for angular velocity (ω) of a DC motor with respect to time is given by ω = (V - IaRa)/kφ, where V is the applied voltage, Ia is the armature current, Ra is the armature resistance, k is the motor's torque constant, and φ is the motor's flux.

4. How does the expression for angular velocity of a DC motor relate to its speed?

The expression for angular velocity of a DC motor is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the motor's speed also increases. Additionally, the speed of a DC motor can be controlled by changing the applied voltage or by varying the load on the motor.

5. What factors can affect the expression for angular velocity of a DC motor?

The expression for angular velocity of a DC motor can be affected by various factors, such as changes in the applied voltage, variation in the armature resistance, fluctuations in the motor's torque constant, and changes in the motor's flux. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, friction, and load on the motor can also impact the expression for angular velocity.