DC Motor: Solving for Load Speed w/ Torque Relation

In summary, the problem involves using a machine with an armature resistance of 0.16 ohms and a proportional constant, A, to drive a load that requires a torque proportional to its speed. One point on the torque-speed relation is given as 16 Nm at 400 r/min. To find the steady-state speed at which the load will be driven, the torque-speed relation is used with the known values. The only missing value is the load torque, which can be calculated using the proportional constant A and converting the given speed from rev/min to rad/s.
theone

Homework Statement

A machine, with an armature resistance of 0.16 ohms and K##\phi## is to drive a load that requires a torque that is proportional to its speed. One point on the mechanical torque-speed relation is 16 Nm at 400 r/min. If the armature terminal voltage is 50 V, at what steady-state speed will the load be driven?

Homework Equations

[/B]
##T=K\phi i_a##, for a constant machine speed

The torque speed relation is
##w = \frac{V_t}{K\phi} - \frac{R_a}{(K\phi)^2}T##

The Attempt at a Solution

the only thing missing for me to use the torque speed relation is the load torque, but I don't understand what they did here to get it. I don't know what A is.

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem states that the torque, T, is proportional to the speed, ω.
A is the proportional constant which they calculate as 0.382 Ns.
This is similar to a y=mx relation and they are calculating m from one point on the graph:
m = y/x or in this case A=T
All that needs to be done is to convert the 400 rev/min to rad/s.

Related to DC Motor: Solving for Load Speed w/ Torque Relation

What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is an electric motor that converts direct current electrical energy into mechanical energy. It uses a stationary set of magnets in the stator and a rotating set of magnets in the rotor to generate motion.

How does a DC motor work?

A DC motor works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When a current is passed through the stator, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the rotor. This interaction causes the rotor to rotate, which in turn drives the motor's output shaft.

What is the torque-speed relationship in a DC motor?

The torque-speed relationship in a DC motor is an inverse relationship. As torque increases, speed decreases and vice versa. This means that when a load is applied to the motor, the speed of the motor will decrease as the torque required to overcome the load increases.

How do you calculate load speed in a DC motor?

To calculate load speed in a DC motor, you can use the formula: Load Speed (rpm) = (V - I*R)/K, where V is the applied voltage, I is the current, R is the resistance of the motor, and K is a constant determined by the motor's characteristics. This formula takes into account the torque-speed relationship and allows you to solve for the motor's speed at a given load.

How can you adjust the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be adjusted by changing the voltage or current supplied to the motor. This can be done through a motor controller or by using a gear reduction system. Some DC motors also have built-in speed control mechanisms, such as a variable resistor, that allow for easy adjustment of speed.