DCM+Methanol+10% Pd on Carbon generates HCl?

In summary: So the acid form of the amine should be more soluble in water than the phenol form of the amine.In summary, the methanol was used to dissolve the intermediates generated during the standard hydrogenation of the phenol and the CBZ protecting group. The deprotection of the two groups worked fine, but after working up the reaction, the material is a salt. The acidity of the phenol's acid has never given me a problem with similar analogs before, so it is unlikely that the salt is an HCl salt. The only other possibility is that the CO2 that is produced from the CBZ deprotection is forming carbonic acid and the molecule is salting with that.
gravenewworld
I've been trying to remove a benzyl protecting group of a phenol and also remove a CBZ protecting group on a secondary amine by standard hydrogenation of the material with 10% Pd on Carbon. My protected molecule is very lipophilic and soluble in DCM. The reason I added methanol was because the intermediates generated (the intermediate where the benzyl is removed but the CBZ still present and vice versa) are generally not soluble in DCM, but soluble in methanol. Deprotection of the two groups worked fine, but to my surprise, after working up the reaction, my material is a salt. I definitely know it is a salt because of the broadening of the NMR signals. I'm just not sure where the acid is coming from or even what acid it is.

I know a good way to dehalogenate material is by hydrogenation with Pd on carbon. Am I dehalogenating the DCM ,and with the presence of methanol as well, generating HCl which is reacting with the amine moities to generate a HCl salt?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
So you simultaneously deprotected a phenol and an amine, eh?

Do you see it yet? (you are going to kick yourself)

BTW, I'm sure that you know that common impurities in methanol include formic acid and that DCM in contact with oxygen and light produces HCL and phosgene provided there is no inhibitor, like methanol, in the DCM reagent. These acids are usually present in only trace amounts.

Last edited:
chemisttree said:
So you simultaneously deprotected a phenol and an amine, eh?

Yup. The phenol's acidity has never given me a problem with similar analogs before.

Do you see it yet? (you are going to kick yourself)

Yup, via NMR, LC/MS, and TLC. 99% pure by HPLC and the mass spec is spot on. You only know that it is a salt because it is obvious in the NMR.

BTW, I'm sure that you know that common impurities in methanol include formic acid and that DCM in contact with oxygen and light produces HCL and phosgene provided there is no inhibitor, like methanol, in the DCM reagent. These acids are usually present in only trace amounts.

I don't think that is the problem because there are 1-2 equivalents of acid that are forming salts with my compound. It would take much more acid than trace amounts to form a salt with my compound. The only other thing that I can think of is that the CO2 that is produced from the CBZ deprotection is forming carbonic acid and the molecule is salting with that.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty certain that it can't be an HCl salt. Most compounds that have 2 HCl equivalents are incredibly hydroscopic. The salt of my compound doesn't seem to soak up a lot of water from the atmosphere at all if you leave it out.

pKa of phenol is 9.6. pKa of the acid form of methyl amine (ammonium) is 10.6. Secondary amines are stronger bases than primary ones.

Related to DCM+Methanol+10% Pd on Carbon generates HCl?

1. What is DCM+Methanol+10% Pd on Carbon?

DCM+Methanol+10% Pd on Carbon is a chemical reaction that involves the use of dichloromethane (DCM) and methanol, along with a catalyst of 10% palladium (Pd) on carbon. This reaction is commonly used in organic synthesis to generate hydrogen chloride (HCl) gas.

2. How does DCM+Methanol+10% Pd on Carbon generate HCl?

The reaction between DCM and methanol, in the presence of the Pd catalyst, results in the formation of an intermediate compound. This compound then reacts further to produce HCl gas, which can be collected and used in various chemical reactions.

3. What is the purpose of using Pd on carbon in this reaction?

Palladium on carbon acts as a catalyst in this reaction, meaning it speeds up the rate of the reaction without being consumed. This allows for a more efficient production of HCl gas.

4. What are the hazards associated with working with DCM+Methanol+10% Pd on Carbon?

DCM is a volatile and flammable liquid, and methanol is toxic if ingested. Pd on carbon can also be hazardous if inhaled or ingested. It is important to handle these chemicals with caution and follow proper safety protocols.

5. What are the applications of HCl gas generated from DCM+Methanol+10% Pd on Carbon?

HCl gas can be used in a variety of chemical reactions, such as in the production of plastics, dyes, and pharmaceuticals. It can also be used as a reagent in organic synthesis. Additionally, HCl gas is commonly used in the production of hydrochloric acid, which has various industrial uses.

Back