De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem

In summary, the wavelength of an Ewok with a mass of 50kg and a velocity of 0.5m/s on the planet Edor, where the value of Planck's constant is 1000Js, would be 40m. The implications of the Ewok running would be a shorter de Broglie wavelength, which could cause interference if the Ewok is not running at a constant velocity. However, with a velocity of 0.5m/s, it is debatable whether the Ewok is actually running at all.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A) Find the wavelength of an Ewok that has a mass of 50kg and is Running on Edor where 'h' id 1000Js at a velocity of 0.5m/s

Yes the value of h to be used is 1000.

B) What would the implications of him running be?

Homework Equations

[itex]\lambda=\frac{h}{p}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A: [itex]\lambda=\frac{h}{p} \\
\lambda=\frac{1000}{50 \times 0.5}=40m[/itex]

For part B: I wasn't quite sure to be honest, but surely with such a large wavelength and running, he would be "interfering" with himself quite badly ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where you got the value for Planck's constant but it is not correct. The accepted value is 6.62606957 × 10−34 joule∙second. Use 6.626x10-34 and your calculated DeB λ will be much smaller.

daqddyo1 said:
I don't know where you got the value for Planck's constant but it is not correct. The accepted value is 6.62606957 × 10−34 joule∙second. Use 6.626x10-34 and your calculated DeB λ will be much smaller.

This was a thought experiment, the value to be be used for the question is 1000Js. Its an imaginary scenario. A made up example by our lecturer to get us to think what would the implications be.

FaraDazed said:
For part B: I wasn't quite sure to be honest, but surely with such a large wavelength and running, he would be "interfering" with himself quite badly ?
Does anything happen to the de Broglie wavelength when he starts running?

DrClaude said:
Does anything happen to the de Broglie wavelength when he starts running?

Ah, yeah. The perticular bit of coursework which had this question on has already been handed in but wanted to know if I got it correct or not, plus its interesting to think about.

I assumed they meant constant velocity, but now thinking about it for part B it probably makes sense to assume he is not running at a constant velocity. But yes, if he speeds up then v will get bigger and the wavelength would therefore get shorter and the other way around if he slowed down.

FaraDazed said:
I assumed they meant constant velocity
I wouldn't consider 0.5 m/s running, even for an Ewok :wink:

DrClaude said:
I wouldn't consider 0.5 m/s running, even for an Ewok :wink:

True, I didn't think of that. They are much smaller though :p

Related to De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem

1. What is the De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem?

The De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem is a thought experiment proposed by physicist Louis de Broglie in 1923. It explores the wave-particle duality of matter, suggesting that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. How does the De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem relate to quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It demonstrates that particles, such as electrons, have a wavelength associated with them, which is determined by their momentum. This concept is essential in understanding the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

3. Can the De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem be observed in real life?

Yes, the De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem has been observed in various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment. This experiment showed that electrons can exhibit wave-like behavior by interfering with each other, similar to how waves interfere with each other.

4. How is the De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem significant in modern science?

The De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem has had a significant impact on modern science, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It has led to the development of the theory of wave-particle duality, which has revolutionized our understanding of the behavior of particles on a subatomic level. It also has practical applications in technologies such as electron microscopes and particle accelerators.

5. Are there any criticisms or limitations of the De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem?

While the De Broglie Wavelength Thought Problem has been widely accepted in the scientific community, there are some criticisms and limitations. One main criticism is that it is a thought experiment and cannot be directly observed. Additionally, the concept of wave-particle duality can be difficult to understand and has been the subject of ongoing debates and discussions in the scientific community.