De Moivre's Theorem: Expressing cos(3θ) and sin(3θ) using n = 3

• Thread starter toothpaste666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, pasmith attempted to solve a problem that was vague, and he did not know what the other side was.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

Use De Moivre's Theorem with n = 3 to express cos(3θ) and sin(3θ) in terms of cos(θ) and sin(θ)
cos(3θ) =
sin(3θ) =

The Attempt at a Solution

To me this seems like a very vague problem. I am not entirely sure what they are asking me to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

Use De Moivre's Theorem with n = 3 to express cos(3θ) and sin(3θ) in terms of cos(θ) and sin(θ)
cos(3θ) =
sin(3θ) =

The Attempt at a Solution

To me this seems like a very vague problem. I am not entirely sure what they are asking me to do here.

Your first step should probably be to write down De Moivre's Theorem for the case [itex]n = 3[/itex].

[itex] r^3(cos(3θ)+isin(3θ)) [/itex]

I can't figure out how to go about solving this because I am not really sure what they are asking me to find.

if
$$
\frac{\cos(3\theta)}{\cos(\theta)}=A\, \cos^2(\theta)+B\, \sin^2(\theta) \\
\frac{\sin(3\theta)}{\sin(\theta)}=C\, \cos^2(\theta)+D\, \sin^2(\theta) $$

What are A,B,C,and D?

Last edited:
toothpaste666 said:
[itex] r^3(cos(3θ)+isin(3θ)) [/itex]

I can't figure out how to go about solving this because I am not really sure what they are asking me to find.

That should be an equation, what is the other side?

the other side would be r(cosθ+isinθ) ?

^3

what does that tell you about how sin(3theta),cos(3theta),cos(theta), and sin(theta) are related?

cos(3θ) = cos(θ)^3

sin(3θ) = sin(θ)^3

was it really that simple?

^no

given

$$\cos(3\theta)+\imath \sin(3\theta)=[\cos(\theta)+\imath \sin(\theta)]^3$$
expand the right hand side using the distributive property
this will allow you to relate sin(3theta),cos(3theta),cos(theta), and sin(theta)

No. You are wrong.
Write down the full formula (De Moivre's).

You can use a calculator to check your answer numerically.
If cos(3x) = cos(x)^3, cos(3) - cos(1)^3 = 0.
While cos(3) - cos(1)^3 is approximately -1.1477211018514388810043820516307.

ok so far after expanding i have:

[itex] r^3(cos(3θ)+isin(3θ)) = r^3(cos^3(θ)+3cos^2(θ)isin(θ)-3cos(θ)sin^2(θ)-sin^3(θ)i) [/itex][itex] cos(3θ)+isin(3θ) = (cos^3(θ)+3cos^2(θ)isin(θ)-3cos(θ)sin^2(θ)-sin^3(θ)i) [/itex]

[itex] cos(3θ)+isin^3(θ) = (cos^3(θ)+3cos^2(θ)isin(θ)-3cos(θ)sin^2(θ)-sin^3(θ)i) [/itex]

[itex] cos(3θ)= (cos^3(θ)+3cos^2(θ)isin(θ)-3cos(θ)sin^2(θ)-2sin^3(θ)i) [/itex]

and then i would do the same thing for sin?

actually you have done both at once
equate the real and imaginary parts
$$\cos(3\theta)+\imath \sin(3\theta)=[\cos^2(\theta)-3 \sin^2(\theta)]\cos(\theta)+\imath[-\sin^2(\theta)+3 \cos^2(\theta)]\sin(\theta) $$

Likes 1 person
thanks!

The original problem said "Use DeMoivre's theorem" and, in the first response, pasmith asked you to write out what DeMoivre's theorem is. You still have not done that. Do you not know what "DeMoivre's theorem" is?

$$e^{\jmath3 \theta}= (e^{\jmath \theta})^3$$

Related to De Moivre's Theorem: Expressing cos(3θ) and sin(3θ) using n = 3

1. What is De Moivre's Theorem and how does it relate to trigonometry?

De Moivre's Theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to express complex numbers in terms of their magnitude and angle. In trigonometry, it is used to find the value of a trigonometric function for a multiple of a given angle.

2. How does De Moivre's Theorem help us express cos(3θ) and sin(3θ) using n = 3?

Using De Moivre's Theorem, we can express cos(3θ) and sin(3θ) using n = 3 by raising the complex number cos(θ) + i sin(θ) to the power of 3. This results in cos(3θ) + i sin(3θ), which can then be separated into its real and imaginary parts to give us the values of cos(3θ) and sin(3θ).

3. What is the significance of using n = 3 in De Moivre's Theorem?

Using n = 3 in De Moivre's Theorem allows us to find the values of cos(3θ) and sin(3θ) for a given angle θ. This is particularly useful in solving problems involving trigonometric equations and in finding solutions to complex equations.

4. Are there any limitations to De Moivre's Theorem when using n = 3?

One limitation of De Moivre's Theorem when using n = 3 is that it only applies to integer values of n. This means that we cannot use it to find the values of cos(3.5θ) or sin(3.5θ), for example. Additionally, it is only applicable to certain types of trigonometric equations and may not be useful in all situations.

5. How can De Moivre's Theorem be applied in real-world scenarios?

De Moivre's Theorem has various applications in real-world scenarios, particularly in engineering and physics. It can be used to simplify complex calculations involving trigonometric functions and to find solutions to equations involving complex numbers. It also has applications in signal processing, electronics, and quantum mechanics.