De Moivre's Theorem: Find Expansion of cos 5θ

• Thread starter jammed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expansion of cos 5θ in terms of cos θ using De Moivre's Theorem and then using this to find the exact value of cos(pi/10) x cos(3pi/10). Two different methods are suggested, one using a quartic equation and the other using a quadratic equation. Both methods ultimately lead to the same result.
jammed

Homework Statement

Using De Moivre's Theorem, find the expansion of cos 5θ in terms of cos θ.
Hence find the exact value of
cos(pi/10) x cos(3pi/10)

Homework Equations

Well i used the equation (cosθ + isinθ)^5 and then equated the real parts to get cos5θ in terms of cosθ.

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded the equation above using binomial expansion and then equated the real parts to get cos5θ in terms of cosθ

c= cosθ, s = sinθ
(cosθ+isinθ)^5 = c^5 + 5c^4is-10c^3s^2-10c^2is^3+5cs^4- 1is^5
After equating the real parts I got
cos5θ = 16c^5 - 20c^3 + 5c (1)

For the second part

I used (1) to make cosθ the subject and then substituted θ = pi/10 and θ = 3pi/10 respectively but I am unable to to get the exact value and most importantly without calculator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been taught how to do this in class? Because there is probably a more elegant way than I'm about to show you.

Given that [tex]cos(5\theta) = 16cos^5(\theta) - 20cos^3(\theta) + 5cos(\theta)[/tex]

and we need to find the value of [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex]

Substituting [tex]\theta=\frac{\pi}{10}[/tex] into the equation gives us

[tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{2})=16cos^5(\frac{\pi}{10})-20cos^3(\frac{\pi}{10})+5cos(\frac{\pi}{10})[/tex]

Now the left side, [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{2})=0[/tex]

So now we need to solve for [tex]16cos^5(\frac{\pi}{10})-20cos^3(\frac{\pi}{10})+5cos(\frac{\pi}{10})=0[/tex]

Since [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})\neq 0[/tex] then we can divide through by that, leaving us a quadratic in [tex]cos^2(\frac{\pi}{10})[/tex]

After you do this, solve for [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})[/tex] and notice that you'll have a plus or minus from the quadratic, and obviously it can't be equal to both, it must be just one of them. Well, if you don't have a calculator handy then do the same process for [tex]cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex], you'll find you get the same answer. Since [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})\neq cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex] then obviously in the plus or minus, one of them is the answer to the first and the other is the answer to the second. You can quickly give a short explanation as to why the + would be for the [itex]\pi/10[/itex] since [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})>cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex]

Now just multiply both values together to find [tex]cos(\frac{\pi}{10})cos(\frac{3\pi}{10})[/tex] as needed.

No I wasnt taught in school. It just came in the exam. After I posted this thread I tried to substitute
x = cos[tex]\theta[/tex] in the equation

Then used the product of the roots 16x^4 - 20x^2 + 5 to find the result. What do you say about this way of solving

Oh yes of course that's much better :smile:

You might want to let [tex]x=cos^2\theta[/tex] such that you end up with a quadratic so then you only have two roots. With the quartic you have, you would need to argue that since there are 4 roots in the quartic equation, two of them are equal roots.

Thanx for your idea!

Related to De Moivre's Theorem: Find Expansion of cos 5θ

What is De Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem is a mathematical formula that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that (cosθ + i sinθ)^n = cos(nθ) + i sin(nθ), where i is the imaginary unit and θ is an angle in radians.

How is De Moivre's Theorem used to expand cos 5θ?

To expand cos 5θ using De Moivre's Theorem, we can use the binomial expansion formula (a+b)^n = Σ(nCk)(a^k)(b^(n-k)). In this case, a = cosθ and b = i sinθ. Substituting these values into the formula and simplifying, we get cos 5θ = cos^5θ - 10 cos^3θ sin^2θ + 5 cosθ sin^4θ.

Why is De Moivre's Theorem important?

De Moivre's Theorem is important because it allows us to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations. It is also used in many fields of science and engineering, such as in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering.

Can De Moivre's Theorem be used for other trigonometric functions?

Yes, De Moivre's Theorem can be used for other trigonometric functions such as sine and tangent. For example, (cosθ + i sinθ)^n = cos(nθ) + i sin(nθ) can be rewritten as (sinθ + i cosθ)^n = sin(nθ) + i cos(nθ) to compute the expansion of sin 5θ.

Are there any limitations to De Moivre's Theorem?

While De Moivre's Theorem is a powerful tool in solving trigonometric equations, it is limited to specific types of equations involving complex numbers. It cannot be used for all types of equations and may not always give accurate results due to the complexity of certain equations. Additionally, it is important to note that De Moivre's Theorem only applies to angles in radians.