Dealing with Domain Problems in Plotting: A Mathematician's Dilemma

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with plotting a function involving the arcsin and cube root functions. The function is defined in the interval -1 < x < 1, but when evaluated outside of this interval, it gives imaginary numbers. There is confusion about the correct domain of the function, with some suggesting it is only defined in the interval 0 ≤ x ≤ 1. The conversation also mentions using calculators and software like Maple and Mathematica to evaluate the function.
DivGradCurl
I'm having a bit of difficulty plotting

[tex]y=\left( \frac{3}{2} \right) ^{1/3} \arcsin ^{2/3} x \qquad -1 < x < 1[/tex]

I don't know how to work around the problem associated with the domain of [tex]\arcsin x[/tex]. Is there any way to do it?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I was thinking arctan.

The arcsin function's domain fits in that domain doesn't it?

For x<0, y gives imaginary nos. That seems to be the problem. Is there any mathematical trick to work around it (probably no, I think... )?

Why?It's perfectly reasonable to extract root of 3-rd order from any real number.In your case,y>=0 and is very real...

Daniel.

Well, so the problem must be with me!

I've evaluated this with my TI-89 and Mathematica 5. I get imaginary nos. for x < 0. I double-checked my syntax, but it looks fine. Then, I must be doing something else wrong. I just don't have a clue. :cry:

That's why you shouldn't trust your calculator. If I ask Maple what [itex](-2)^{1/3}[/itex] is, it gives me a complex answer, because it's not perfect either. Of course, the answer it gives me is a cube coot of [itex]-2[/itex], but I want the real one. It doesn't know that.

Maybe this'll help:

[tex](-x)^{\frac{1}{3}} = -x^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

Do you just need to sketch this, or plot it in detail?

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but squaring arcsin would result in a set of positive values, for which a cuberoot would always be positive, no?

indeed, you can apply the square or the cube root first with no difference, as long as you're agreed that you want the real cube root.

thiago_j said:
For x<0, y gives imaginary nos. That seems to be the problem. Is there any mathematical trick to work around it (probably no, I think... )?
Although there's no "actual" problem here with obtaining the (2/3) or even the Real (1/3) power of the negative argument for "arcsin()" in {-π ≤ arcsin() ≤ π}, if you still need to avoid it for some reason, the trick is to restrict the "arcsin()" range to {0 ≤ arcsin() ≤ 2*π} by adding "2*π" to your "arcsin()" function prior to evaluating the power:
(arcsin() + 2*π)^(2/3)

~~

Last edited:
Enjoy.It has no negative values,because of the square.

Daniel.

Attachments

• arcsin.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 219
Enjoy.It has no negative values,because of the square.

I get the same picture here (attached). I agree with you that [tex]y\geq 0[/tex]. The problem is that my textbook says [tex]y[/tex] is defined in the interval [tex]-1 < x < 1[/tex], while we both get [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]. That's what puzzles me.

About the imaginary numbers, I only get them when I evaluate a negative no. in my calculator. As Data said, I just shouldn't trust it. Unfortunately, they don't become real if I add "2*π" to my "arcsin()" function prior to evaluating the power. It's the nature of the beast!

Anyway, chances are my book has a mistake and the function is defined just in the interval [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]. Thus, everything else (imaginary nos.) could be disregarded. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input

Attachments

• plot.jpg
    plot.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
thiago_j said:
I get the same picture here (attached). I agree with you that [tex]y\geq 0[/tex]. The problem is that my textbook says [tex]y[/tex] is defined on the interval [tex]-1 < x < 1[/tex], while we both get [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]. That's what puzzles me.

About the imaginary numbers, I only get them when I evaluate a negative no. in my calculator. As Data said, I just shouldn't trust it. Unfortunately, they don't become real if I add "2*π" to my "arcsin()" function prior to evaluating the power. It's the nature of the beast!

Anyway, chances are my book has a mistake and the function is defined just in the interval [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]. Thus, everything else (imaginary nos.) could be disregarded. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input

Something is very strange. The value {arcsin(x) + 2*π} should never be negative for {-1 ≤ x ≤ 1} with most implementations of "arcsin()".
ALSO -----> Make sure your calculator is set to RADIANS (not Degrees). Otherwise, if you still want to use Degrees, change method to {arcsin(x) + 360}

~~

Last edited:
Hey xanthym,

I've never said I got negative values as a result of the evaluation of the function. In fact, I said that whenever I evaluate anything out of the interval [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex] (i.e. x < 0 and x > 1) I get an imaginary result. Furthermore, I did not say the method you suggest is wrong.

This question came up as I looked up the answer of a differential equation (initial-value problem) in my textbook. I got the solution right, but the domain in which the solution is defined is said to be [tex]-1 < x < 1[/tex]. I got in touch with you guys so that I know what is going on there.

In other words, it is possible that my book has a mistake. As far as I can see, the domain of

[tex]y=\left( \frac{3}{2} \right) ^{1/3} \arcsin ^{2/3} x[/tex]

is defined for the real set of numbers only in the interval [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]. Thus, everything else (imaginary nos.) could be disregarded. However, I just can't say that what I've got here is correct. I need some feedback.

Thanks

I don't know whether it helps or not, but here is the problem exactly as I have here in the textbook:

"20. [tex]y^2 \left( 1 - x^2 \right) ^{1/2} \: dy = \arcsin x \: dx, \qquad y(0) = 0[/tex]

(a) Find the solution of the given initial value problem in the explicit form.
(b) Plot the graph of the solution.
(c) Determine (at least approximately) the interval in which the solution is defined."

Just in case you're wondering...

Regards

Last edited:
I know my Maple was a bonehead,but this is ridiculous...

Daniel.

Attachments

• arcsin2.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 199
Since the solution is

[tex] y(x)=\left(\frac{3}{2}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}} \left(\arcsin^{2} x\right)^{\frac{1}{3}} [/tex]

,i'd say the domain is [-1,+1],as if it were only [itex] \arcsin [/itex].

Daniel.

I've just found out what I was doing wrong. Both Mathematica and my TI-89 interpret

[tex]y=\left( \frac{3}{2} \right) ^{1/3} \arcsin ^{2/3} x \qquad (1)[/tex]

and

[tex]y=\left( \frac{3}{2} \right) ^{1/3} \left[ \left( \arcsin x \right) ^2 \right] ^{1/3} \qquad (2)[/tex]

differently. Only (2) displays both branches and has the correct domain [tex][-1,1][/tex].

Compared to [tex][0,1][/tex], it is not a subtle difference. That was my point all along, and I think it was worth taking the time to find out.

Thank you

Like I said, the solution is to not trust your calculator. It will lie to you whenever possible (last week, I had to explain to my sister why sometimes it would give her the wrong answer when she took arcsines! hahah).

Thiago,it happened to my Maple,too.It's definitely something weird.That's why i posted both graphs to show that mathematical software is not 100% reliable

Daniel.

Related to Dealing with Domain Problems in Plotting: A Mathematician's Dilemma

What is plotting and why is it important in scientific research?

Plotting is the process of visualizing data on a graph or chart. It is important in scientific research because it allows researchers to identify patterns and trends in their data, which can help them make meaningful conclusions and communicate their findings effectively.

What is a domain problem in plotting and how can it be addressed?

A domain problem in plotting refers to the range of values that are included on the x-axis of a graph. This can be a problem if the data being plotted falls outside of the specified domain. To address this issue, researchers can adjust the domain to include all relevant data points or choose a different type of graph that better represents the data.

What are some common types of plots used in scientific research?

Some common types of plots used in scientific research include line graphs, bar graphs, scatter plots, and histograms. Each type of plot is best suited for visualizing different types of data, such as continuous data, categorical data, or trends over time.

How can outliers affect the interpretation of a plot?

Outliers are data points that fall significantly outside of the expected range of values. They can affect the interpretation of a plot by skewing the data and making it difficult to identify patterns or trends. It is important for researchers to identify and address outliers in their data to ensure accurate and meaningful conclusions.

What are some best practices for creating effective plots in scientific research?

Some best practices for creating effective plots in scientific research include choosing the appropriate type of plot for the data, using clear and concise labels, avoiding cluttered or distorted scales, and providing a clear and concise legend to explain any symbols or colors used in the plot.

Back