Debating transfer (gpa will be lower if i do)

• Thread starter osnarf
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has had a difficult academic journey, initially performing poorly at FSU and then transferring to Valencia CC where they obtained an AA degree and had grade forgiveness applied to three previous F grades. They are now attending UCF and would like to transfer to FSU for various reasons, including a stronger physics program and the opportunity to participate in undergraduate research. However, FSU does not have a grade forgiveness policy, which could potentially negatively impact their GPA. The individual is asking for advice on whether it is better to have a higher GPA with grade forgiveness or a lower GPA without it when applying to graduate school. The responder suggests that it may not make a difference in the admissions process, as the F grades will still be seen. They
osnarf
Hey everyone,

Originally I did terrible in undergrad (at FSU - I hadn't got serious yet. Still regretting it.), and transferred to Valencia CC, where I got an AA and had grade forgiveness applied to 3 courses (that were all F's). Now I'm at UCF, who honors the grade forgivenesses.

I would like to transfer to FSU, for several reasons - mainly the better physics program, and the magnetics lab that I would try to get involved in in some way/shape/form with u.g. research or whatever. I would also be nice to go back and finish what I started. The main issue is FSU doesn't have a grade forgiveness policy, so all 3 of those F's would count towards my GPA. Acceptance at FSU is guaranteed b/c I have an AA from a Florida CC.

So I guess what I'm asking really boils down to the difference of how grad school admissions will look at a higher gpa that has been grade-forgiven or a lower gpa that hasn't. Being realistic, they're going to see the F's either way, regardless of the GPA.

---edit---
Classes were 5,5,and 3 hours, so it's 13 extra attempted hours.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
osnarf said:
Hey everyone,

Originally I did terrible in undergrad (at FSU - I hadn't got serious yet. Still regretting it.), and transferred to Valencia CC, where I got an AA and had grade forgiveness applied to 3 courses (that were all F's). Now I'm at UCF, who honors the grade forgivenesses.

I would like to transfer to FSU, for several reasons - mainly the better physics program, and the magnetics lab that I would try to get involved in in some way/shape/form with u.g. research or whatever. I would also be nice to go back and finish what I started. The main issue is FSU doesn't have a grade forgiveness policy, so all 3 of those F's would count towards my GPA. Acceptance at FSU is guaranteed b/c I have an AA from a Florida CC.

So I guess what I'm asking really boils down to the difference of how grad school admissions will look at a higher gpa that has been grade-forgiven or a lower gpa that hasn't. Being realistic, they're going to see the F's either way, regardless of the GPA.

My understanding is that the specific way your school calculates your GPA doesn't matter. As you rightly mention, an admissions committee is going to see the Fs no matter what.

If you report a GPA to them of 4.0 because your current school ignores a few grades, and then they look at your transcripts and re-calculate your GPA to be a 2.0, would it have been worth it?

I don't know how good UCF is--the Florida university collection confuses me--but I agree that it would be better to be at FSU if you want to do physics.

If you do go to FSU, make sure you do a bang-up job, being proactive and keeping up your enthusiasm. Get help when you need it. That'll make a few mistakes old news.

FAQ: Debating transfer (gpa will be lower if i do)

What is "debating transfer"?

Debating transfer refers to the process of deciding whether or not to transfer to a different university or college. This decision often involves considering factors such as the potential impact on one's GPA.

How does transferring affect my GPA?

Transferring to a different university or college can potentially affect your GPA in two ways. First, if the new institution has different grading policies or standards, your GPA may be recalculated and could potentially be lower. Second, the transfer process itself can be challenging and may impact your ability to maintain a high GPA.

Will my GPA definitely be lower if I transfer?

Not necessarily. While transferring can sometimes result in a lower GPA, it ultimately depends on a variety of factors such as the new institution's grading policies, the difficulty of your courses, and your own academic performance. It is important to research and consider all of these factors before making a decision.

Can I transfer to a different university and still maintain a high GPA?

Yes, it is possible to transfer and maintain a high GPA. This requires careful planning and consideration of factors such as the new institution's grading policies, the difficulty of your courses, and your own academic abilities. It may also be helpful to seek advice and resources from academic advisors or transfer counselors.

What should I consider before deciding to transfer?

Before making a decision to transfer, it is important to consider factors such as the reputation and accreditation of the new institution, the cost and availability of financial aid, the potential impact on your academic progress and graduation timeline, and your personal reasons for wanting to transfer. It is also important to thoroughly research and understand the transfer process and requirements of the new institution.