DeBroglie wavelength in infinite potential well

In summary, the question is asking for the allowed deBroglie wavelengths for an electron in an infinite potential well of width L when n=4. The formula used is wavelength = 2L/n and the possible combinations for n=4 are 4-3, 4-2, 4-1, 3-2, 3-1, and 2-1. The answer is 3L, as 2L/n must always be an integer and 3L does not fulfill this requirement.
lowcard2
nvm i figured it out. it was not in reference to n=4. equation used would be wavelength = 2L/n

Homework Statement

An electron is in an infinite potential well of width L. Which is not an allowed deBroglie wavelength for the electron to have when n=4?
wavelength(k) = 3L, 2L, L/2, or L/3

Homework Equations

k=h/p
would states in an infinite square well be useful too?

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I was given is 3L which is throwing me off because I thought it would be L/3. there at 2 wavelengths at n=4. 3L= 6 wavelengths which is still integer. I was thinking L/3 because 2/3 is not a valid wavelength. Was the answer i was given wrong or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lowcard2 said:
nvm i figured it out. it was not in reference to n=4. equation used would be wavelength = 2L/n

Homework Statement

An electron is in an infinite potential well of width L. Which is not an allowed deBroglie wavelength for the electron to have when n=4?
wavelength(k) = 3L, 2L, L/2, or L/3

Homework Equations

k=h/p
would states in an infinite square well be useful too?

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I was given is 3L which is throwing me off because I thought it would be L/3. there at 2 wavelengths at n=4. 3L= 6 wavelengths which is still integer. I was thinking L/3 because 2/3 is not a valid wavelength. Was the answer i was given wrong or am I doing something wrong?

Question is asking that "Which is not an allowed deBroglie wavelength for the electron to have when n=4?"

As you know that de-broglie wavelength is an integral multiple of h/mv.

Here you use formula ,
λ = 2L/n

If electron is excited , then there are infinite number of wavelengths.

If it is de-excited , then there will be only 6 combination of wavelengths ,
4-3,4-2, 4-1, 3-2, 3-1, 2-1.

Now the answer you were given was correct.

Hint : Let h/mv = R

Then ,

λ = R2L/n

2L/n must always be an Integer. In which option it will not be an integer ?

Related to DeBroglie wavelength in infinite potential well

What is the DeBroglie wavelength in an infinite potential well?

The DeBroglie wavelength in an infinite potential well is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle confined in a potential well with infinite walls. It is given by the equation λ = 2L/n, where L is the length of the well and n is the quantum number.

What is the significance of the DeBroglie wavelength in an infinite potential well?

The DeBroglie wavelength in an infinite potential well is significant because it represents the smallest possible wavelength of a particle in the well. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles, and it helps to explain the quantization of energy levels in the well.

How does the DeBroglie wavelength change with the length of the potential well?

The DeBroglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the length of the potential well. This means that as the length of the well increases, the wavelength decreases. Conversely, as the length decreases, the wavelength increases. This relationship is an important aspect of the quantization of energy levels in the well.

What happens to the DeBroglie wavelength when a particle is in an infinite potential well?

When a particle is in an infinite potential well, its DeBroglie wavelength is confined to the length of the well. This means that the particle's wavelength is quantized and can only take on specific values determined by the length of the well and the quantum number. This confinement of the wavelength is a key aspect of the particle's behavior in the well.

How does the DeBroglie wavelength relate to the particle's momentum in an infinite potential well?

The DeBroglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the particle's momentum. This means that as the wavelength increases, the momentum decreases, and vice versa. In an infinite potential well, the particle's momentum is quantized, and the corresponding DeBroglie wavelength is an important factor in determining the particle's behavior and energy levels in the well.