Debunk Magnetic Therapy and water cluster experiment

In summary, at a magnetic therapy seminar, various demonstrations were shown to prove the "beneficial" effects of it. The first demonstration involved placing common table salt on a magnetic blanket, which was said to break down the salt and make it less salty. Results from a subjective taste test seemed to support this claim, but it is possible that the salt used on the blanket was different from the one used on the normal plate. The second demonstration involved placing cans of Coke on a magnetic blanket, with the result being that the one on the blanket tasted less sweet. However, this is again just a subjective test and could have been manipulated. The seminar also promoted a product called "Cal Ion Water" which supposedly has smaller water clusters and therefore gets absorbed into
Delzac
Recently when to a magnetic therapy seminar where they did experiment to proof the " beneficial" effects of it. These are some of the demonstration.

First demonstration, Salt test.

They place common table salt on a magnetic blanket and some on a normal plate. They say that the magnetic field will " break down" the salt and make the salt less salty. So I tasted it and indeed the one on the magnetic blanket taste less salty. I tried to get as equal an amount of salt as possible for the tasting. Couldn't explain how it happened.

Second demonstration, Coke test.

They open 2 can of coke. Place one on a magnetic blanket the other on nothing. And you know the results. The one the blanket taste less sweet. Couldn't explain this also.

The next crackpot product they were selling is some water that supposedly was smaller water cluster that our tap water. Never mind if water cluster don't exist in tap water.

The demonstration they did was the " Teabag Experiment"

They took tap water and their water, pour it into 2 glasses. Place a Teabag( The brand's Lipton) in each of the glasses. The one with smaller water cluster got colourised first, significantly faster than tap water. So they say that the smaller water cluster in their water is better as it will get absorbed into the body more easily. I couldn't explain how this works also.

Debunk please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Delzac said:
Recently when to a magnetic therapy seminar where they did experiment to proof the " beneficial" effects of it. These are some of the demonstration.

First demonstration, Salt test.

They place common table salt on a magnetic blanket and some on a normal plate. They say that the magnetic field will " break down" the salt and make the salt less salty. So I tasted it and indeed the one on the magnetic blanket taste less salty. I tried to get as equal an amount of salt as possible for the tasting. Couldn't explain how it happened.

A subjective taste test is not a valid test. Also, maybe they used something other than straight salt on the magnetic blanket.

Second demonstration, Coke test.

They open 2 can of coke. Place one on a magnetic blanket the other on nothing. And you know the results. The one the blanket taste less sweet. Couldn't explain this also.

Again, this is subjective. And again, could they have pulled a fast one and cheated?

The next crackpot product they were selling is some water that supposedly was smaller water cluster that our tap water. Never mind if water cluster don't exist in tap water.

The demonstration they did was the " Teabag Experiment"

They took tap water and their water, pour it into 2 glasses. Place a Teabag( The brand's Lipton) in each of the glasses. The one with smaller water cluster got colourised first, significantly faster than tap water. So they say that the smaller water cluster in their water is better as it will get absorbed into the body more easily. I couldn't explain how this works also.

They may have used something like a surfactant in "their" water.

These all seem like nothing more than cheesy tricks and perhaps a bit of the power of suggestion.

For the magnetic demonstration, all of the people tasted both the coke and salt and came to the same conclusion. The could have cheated for the salt, since i didn't witness them using the same salt for the blanket and the plate. But the coke don't seem to be cheat-able. Since it is opened from 2 sealed cans.

The water they are promoting is called " Cal Ion Water". It has a disgusting high level of ca2+ ions in it. 22mg for 600 ml if i remember correctly. The amount of sodium is also of similar concentration. Maybe this is where the problem lies?

I have no doubt that these are all just tricks, but for the sake of your own curiosity, they sound easy enough to duplicate and test with friends. Just be sure to do at least a blind taste test where only you know which ones were subjected to the magnet. Better yet, have a third party involved and do a double-blind test. I am sure that the mystery will evaporate.

Delzac said:
For the magnetic demonstration, all of the people tasted both the coke and salt and came to the same conclusion. The could have cheated for the salt, since i didn't witness them using the same salt for the blanket and the plate. But the coke don't seem to be cheat-able. Since it is opened from 2 sealed cans.

The water they are promoting is called " Cal Ion Water". It has a disgusting high level of ca2+ ions in it. 22mg for 600 ml if i remember correctly. The amount of sodium is also of similar concentration. Maybe this is where the problem lies?

It reminds me of penta-water. Bad science used to promote equally bad products. Pay no attention. And yes, the effects would come from the ions, not from the "smaller clusters". Want smaller clusters? Drink steam.

Try taking the "normal salt" and placing it on the magnetic blanket.

But how do the Ions in the water create such a effect? That is what puzzles me.

Which ones did he let you try first. Maybe it has something to do with your taste buds. If you taste the saltier one first then maybe if you tasted it again it wouldn't seem as salty if you tried it again. If you test it then try both ways, first taste the saltier and then taste the salty, then taste the salty and then the saltier one.

You have to doubt any taste test where you are told which product has a certain taste, you are planting the idea in their mind.

It would have to be a blind taste test and you could not tell the testers what it is they are looking for. Even then, taste varies so much from person to person, it's not conclusive. I'll bet given two random samples of salt, there would be no consensus of what, if anything, was different.

The test is about as fixed as you can get.

Last edited:
Probably another alternative therapy that can be explained by the placebo effect. If you can make someone believe that the therapy they are getting is highly benficial, the chances are it will be. Thats basically how homeopathy works.

However, i would be interested if they came up with a physical process to pin this down to. Like if they could show that magnets can effect the alignment of magnetite in our blood, and so cause some type of benefit. Now that would be interesting. But this area looks purely subjective at the moment.

Related to Debunk Magnetic Therapy and water cluster experiment

1. What is magnetic therapy and how does it work?

Magnetic therapy is a form of alternative medicine that involves using magnets to treat various health conditions. Advocates of magnetic therapy claim that the magnets can improve blood flow and oxygenation to the body, relieve pain, and promote healing. However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims. The magnetic field produced by these magnets is extremely weak and cannot penetrate deep into the body to have any significant effect.

2. Can magnetic therapy cure diseases?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim that magnetic therapy can cure diseases. While some studies have shown a potential for pain relief, these results are not consistent and are often attributed to a placebo effect. It is important to seek medical treatment from a licensed healthcare professional for any serious health conditions.

3. What is the water cluster experiment and what does it claim to prove?

The water cluster experiment is a pseudo-scientific experiment that claims to prove the effectiveness of magnetic therapy. The experiment involves placing a magnet next to a glass of water and then using a microscope to observe the changes in the structure of the water molecules. Advocates of this experiment claim that the changes in the water's structure are evidence of the healing effects of magnetic therapy. However, this experiment has been debunked by numerous scientific studies, which have shown that the changes observed in the water are simply a result of normal evaporation and condensation processes.

4. Are there any risks associated with using magnetic therapy?

While there are no serious risks associated with using magnetic therapy, there are some potential side effects that have been reported, including skin irritation and interference with medical devices such as pacemakers. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using any alternative treatments, especially if you have a pre-existing medical condition or are currently taking medication.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claims of magnetic therapy?

No, there is no credible scientific evidence to support the claims of magnetic therapy. Numerous studies have been conducted to test the effectiveness of magnetic therapy, and the results have consistently shown that there is no significant benefit to using magnets for health purposes. In fact, the National Institutes of Health has stated that there is no scientific basis for the use of magnets as a medical treatment.