Debunking New World Creationism 201 (Intermediate) -1

• Thread starter treat2
  • Start date
In summary: This is the way things are because it is the only way to understand the world. Now let's say that a group of people on this planet are taken with the inward view. They develop methods for exploring the unity of things. They discover that social and political systems can be based on a understanding of the convergence of things. They become the most financially successful, people in power...etc. This is the way things will be because it is the only way to understand the world. There is no right or wrong view, it's just which view is more prevalent on this planet. Originally posted by Royce
treat2
(Note: The existence of a deity is fundamental to a belief in
New World Creationism. This post is for New World Creationists, only!)

(A Note for Theistic Evolutionists:
I do not engage in debating Theistic Evolutionists about
the existence of any deity, unless an invitation is extended.
Below are a few reasons why I choose not to do this:
I’ve no beef with Theistic Evolutionists.
Theistic Evolutionists are not religious extremists.
In general, Theistic Evolutionists are not known
to me as typically being social or political fanatics,
they do not seek to ban Evolution, nor Science either.
I DO debate Theistic Evolutionists,
where their social and political view differ from my own.
For these and additional reasons,
this post is not targetted for a debate with Theistic Evolutionists.
Accept this “Note” as true, “on faith”, from an Athiest.)
----------------------------------------------------------
It is illogical to conclude that Atheism existed prior to Theism.

For that reason, two “conditions” apply to the Theist.
1) The Theist asserted the existence of "god(s)".
2) The Theist’s assertion was made prior to the existence of Atheism.

Logically, these conditions designate the BURDEN OF PROOF to the Theist. For that reason, it is not the responsibility of the Atheist to disprove the Theist’s assertion.

The Theist can not provide any empirical evidence to scientifically prove the existence of “god(s)”. For that reason, the result of the “Scientific Method” is the conclusion that the Theist’s assertion is baseless and false.

The Universe or life itself is not empirical evidence from which the existence of "god(s)" can be concluded, as these are only evidence of a tangible reality.

What I know exists, does not lead me to conclude what does not exist, does exist.

To the Creationist: Please provide empirical evidence of the existence of any deity (upon which creationism depends).

Physics news on Phys.org
How can empirical evidence be supplied about a non empirical but spiritual entity or subjective belief.
I ask you to provide empirical evidence that such and entity does not exist.
I don't try to use a sledge hammer to fine tune a swiss watch. You may; but, I don't. While your at it prove intelligence and consciousness exist using empirical evidence only.
What yard stick are you going to use to measure subjective reasoning and/or logic?.

Originally posted by Royce
How can empirical evidence be supplied about a non empirical but spiritual entity or subjective belief.
I ask you to provide empirical evidence that such and entity does not exist.
I don't try to use a sledge hammer to fine tune a swiss watch. You may; but, I don't. While your at it prove intelligence and consciousness exist using empirical evidence only.
What yard stick are you going to use to measure subjective reasoning and/or logic?.
Here we go again...

How can you claim the objective existence of something which only has a (purported)subjective reality?

Originally posted by Zero
Here we go again...

How can you claim the objective existence of something which only has a (purported)subjective reality?

Yeah, I know. My thoughts exactly. To answer you question, I can't; nor, can anyone else. Its the wrong tool. All that I can say is that there is more to reality than objective reality, but then, I have said that before, haven't I? Oh well its a beautiful day in Georgia and I have to be at work (for 4 hours at least). What else to pass the time?

Here we go again...

First of all, the only thing you are anyone else knows is subjective experience, so setting up this debate to be between subjective and objective is wrong. When it comes to human knowledge, it's all subjective. I say the real issue is whether or not the physical senses are the only avenue to legitimate experience.

I'll try an analogy. Imagine you exist in an infinite medium, say light, which extends both infinitely outward (or divergently) from your position, and infinitely inward ( convergently) from your position. Let's say you are yourself light housed in a human body. If you want to look outward from your position, you must rely on the senses. But if you wish to explore the convergent direction, you have to actually withdraw from the senses and turn inward.

With the outward view one sees everything that is aggregate, compound, and distinct from other things; with the inner view, one experiences the unity of things.

Now, let's say that on this planet, almost everyone is taken with the outward view. For thousands years outer view skills are developed, methods for studying aggregate stuff are perfected, social and political systems are based on outer view understanding, those who master outer view skills become the most financially successful, people in power champion the outer view, etc.

Meanwhile, there are those few who undertake developing inner view skills. Individuals who actually do it report information that is unavailable to the outer view. Now, what do you think all those outer view experts say about such reports? They say, show us outer proof that the inner world exists! And if someone experienced in the inner view says check out the real experts on this subject, rather than looking into it like scholars, they continue to demand that external proof be given for what can only be known from inner experience.

It is one thing to say one is not interested in exploring the inner experience, but it is entirely different to claim the reports of those who practice turning inward can't be right because it doesn't fit into one's world view, or to use one's own experiences as the absolute standard for evaluating that with which one is inexperienced.

Last edited:
Les, its good to see you back participating. I've missed you and your comments.
I think you analogy is one of the best that I have read on the subject. I almost want to say that it is not an analogy but truth.

LOL, you guys are funny!

Wrong, deeply wrong, but humorous nonetheless. When you look inside yourself, all you can comment on is yourself. The rest of the universe appears to be outside of yourself.

I'll try an analogy. Imagine you exist in an infinite medium, say light, which extends both infinitely outward (or divergently) from your position, and infinitely inward ( convergently) from your position. Let's say you are yourself light housed in a human body. If you want to look outward from your position, you must rely on the senses. But if you wish to explore the convergent direction, you have to actually withdraw from the senses and turn inward.
But as far as materialism is concerned, looking inward and outward both involve senses. If the light converges infinitely, then it must be parallel, which means that the unity of all things is untrue. I do not believe that the body is a barrier - I think most materialists here agree that there is no difference between inwards, and outwards. To materialists, looking inwards means either disguising looking outwards - or not looking at all. Historically, the "outer view" people have not triumphed at all. Historically, almost no one has looked.

What information has been gleaned from this inner view, without leaving at least the possibility of being simply a transformation of instinct, or "outer" experience?

In my view, materialist view only one part of reality, the objective physical part which is the effect not the cause of reality. Spiritual or inner reality is the cause of and reason for being of the rest of reality which is simply different aspects of the One reality. I realize that this is nonsense to a materialist, but to believe in only the material is nonsense to those who have experience both the material and non material reality.

LOL, you guys are funny!

Wrong, deeply wrong, but humorous nonetheless. When you look inside yourself, all you can comment on is yourself. The rest of the universe appears to be outside of yourself.

You are pretty funny too Zero. You make the same mistake every single time when you try to evaluate something you know nothing about. What exactly do you know about looking inside the way I am talking about?

Originally posted by FZ+
But as far as materialism is concerned, looking inward and outward both involve senses. If the light converges infinitely, then it must be parallel, which means that the unity of all things is untrue. I do not believe that the body is a barrier - I think most materialists here agree that there is no difference between inwards, and outwards. To materialists, looking inwards means either disguising looking outwards - or not looking at all. Historically, the "outer view" people have not triumphed at all. Historically, almost no one has looked.

I find it pointless to debate someone who is determined to argue an intellectual position. I say that because if your first priority is to maintain your position, then you are obligated to do everything in your power to discredit any information which might undermine, in this case, materialism. When you do that I know from the outset you are not going to objectively look at what I say, so why bother? If my goal is to trade ideas hoping to learn or teach something true, then there isn't the slightest motivation for me to participate in such a debate.

Originally posted by FZ+
What information has been gleaned from this inner view, without leaving at least the possibility of being simply a transformation of instinct, or "outer" experience?

How do you come to know things FZ? To you try to figure it out cloistered in your room? Or do you actually try to acquire experience with that you want to know and understand?

You are not required to understand the inner experience to live your life. My objection is that you and others speculate about it without feeling the slightest need to seriously look into it. I find it amazing that there exists a 3000 year history of people living for decades in every situation from caves in the deserts to monasteries just so they could develop turning inward skills, and yet someone thinks they are going to understand about that from information they casually pick up skipping through life. Ha, some scholarship and, consequently, the crappy opinions derived from it.

My objection is that you and others speculate about it without feeling the slightest need to seriously look into it.
Please, please, don't say that, because it is simply not true. You don't know anything about me, and you have no justification to throw such stereotypes around. I know you are reasonable, but I find your attitude patronising and perhaps offensive.

I was an atheist. Then I was a christian. Then I was a buddhist. Now I am an atheist. I do know what you are talking about. I even - and you may be surprised - meditate. I did not skip my way through life, I did not fail to understand. You have no right, as another human being to presume I do not. I simply perceived that it is senseless to maintain the belief that one "knowledge" has to be obtained at the expense of the other. I simply perceived that it is senseless to maintain a difference between my internal self-examination, and the experiences around me, for I am made by these experiences.

What did 3000 years of self denial acheive? Nothing, but the imposition of dogma on others. They were made with the whip of authority behind them, fed untruths and untruths extracted. They saw only what they expected, because there was nothing new. To draw on an anecdote, it was only when the buddha walked out of his little compound that he could start to see, see how we are part of the world, and we can understand ourselves only by understanding the world. We have only recently become aware of those 3000 years. I see no reason to excuse them, or to make their same mistakes again.

Originally posted by LW Sleeth
You are pretty funny too Zero. You make the same mistake every single time when you try to evaluate something you know nothing about. What exactly do you know about looking inside the way I am talking about?
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and never found anything magical about it. I know LOTS about it, I just don't come to the same conclusions that you do.

Originally posted by FZ+
Please, please, don't say that, because it is simply not true. You don't know anything about me, and you have no justification to throw such stereotypes around. I know you are reasonable, but I find your attitude patronising and perhaps offensive.

I apologize.

Originally posted by FZ+
I simply perceived that it is senseless to maintain the belief that one "knowledge" has to be obtained at the expense of the other.

Why would you think 'one "knowledge' has to be obtained at the expense of the other"? I don't have the slightest problem understanding the difference between external and internal knowledge.

Originally posted by FZ+
I simply perceived that it is senseless to maintain a difference between my internal self-examination, and the experiences around me, for I am made by these experiences

When a baby is born he or she can experience joy immediately. Exactly what "experiences around" made him/her that way? That potential for joy is already in there.

Originally posted by FZ+
What did 3000 years of self denial acheive? Nothing, but the imposition of dogma on others. They were made with the whip of authority behind them, fed untruths and untruths extracted. They saw only what they expected, because there was nothing new.

You are talking about religion, not the inner experience. This is exactly what I mean by not being informed. You may have been a Christian and a Buddhist, but if you accepted the religion that developed around Jesus and the Buddha then you also accepted the millenia of interpretation by others that is stuck in between you and Jesus or the Buddha.

In my opinion, you will never understand the experience Jesus and the Buddha were having through religion. In fact, I think the whole purpose of religion is to be a sort of metaphorical substitute for the inner experience. That's the problem with these discussions . . . people judging the inner experience using religion as the standard.

If you had been alive when Jesus was teaching, exactly what religion would you have heard him teach? I say it wouldn't have been some way of behaving, believing or thinking that you'd have gotten from him, but rather a way of feeling and being conscious. In other words, his message was experiential. You find religion the instant you start reading what others have to say about him; then you can clearly see they are translating the experience Jesus was having into a way of thinking.

Originally posted by FZ+
To draw on an anecdote, it was only when the buddha walked out of his little compound that he could start to see, see how we are part of the world, and we can understand ourselves only by understanding the world. We have only recently become aware of those 3000 years. I see no reason to excuse them, or to make their same mistakes again.

Nonesense. Using only the Buddha's words, I challenge you to show me him teaching that "we can understand ourselves only by understanding the world." In fact, that is exactly opposite of what he taught, which was the "self" is an illusion. The self, he said, is a mere aggregate of traits acquired from our biology and conditioning. Our true nature lies within, beyond all apparent attributes, including that which we know as "self."

It seems you, like the majority of people (Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike), assume that what the Buddha attained was some kind of mental understanding. But if one undertakes a careful study of the experience of enlightement, one finds that view is thoroughly contradicted by the 3000 year history of enlightenment on our planet, and not just in India.

What the Buddha attained occurred after many years of work that culminated under the Bodhi tree sitting in uninterrupted meditation for a few days. To characterize his achievment as intellectual insight represents the constant watering down of religious interpretation done for the masses, it is the translation of seriously practicing samadhi meditation (or "union" by inner practitioners who followed Jesus) into some philosophical outlook. I say it was the power of the "enlightenment" experience that attracted people to the Buddha (and Jesus), not his ideas.

And why can't people figure this out so easily today? I believe it is because we lack the living example of enlightenment that masters like Jesus and the Buddha provided for followers.

I find it pointless to debate someone who is determined to argue an intellectual position. I say that because if your first priority is to maintain your position, then you are obligated to do everything in your power to discredit any information which might undermine, in this case, materialism. When you do that I know from the outset you are not going to objectively look at what I say, so why bother? If my goal is to trade ideas hoping to learn or teach something true, then there isn't the slightest motivation for me to participate in such a debate.

How do you come to know things FZ? To you try to figure it out cloistered in your room? Or do you actually try to acquire experience with that you want to know and understand?

You are not required to understand the inner experience to live your life. My objection is that you and others speculate about it without feeling the slightest need to seriously look into it. I find it amazing that there exists a 3000 year history of people living for decades in every situation from caves in the deserts to monasteries just so they could develop turning inward skills, and yet someone thinks they are going to understand about that from information they casually pick up skipping through life. Ha, some scholarship and, consequently, the crappy opinions derived from it.

Why does this argument remind me of when I was pre-school and I was embroiled in a "intellectual argument" responding to "Your dumb" with the ever classic "Your dumber".

I find this post and many of your others reminiscent of these times of blissful ignorance. I don't know wether or not I should even attempt to respond to your posts, or just admire your ability to stay in happy land...

Ok, I guess its just in my nature to argue.

Your statement of:
I find it pointless to debate someone who is determined to argue an intellectual position. I say that because if your first priority is to maintain your position, then you are obligated to do everything in your power to discredit any information which might undermine, in this case, materialism.

is utter garbage.

Let me back this claim up with both your logic and my logic, first with yours..

(your logic)Obviously, you have not the capability of comprehending what actually is, so it is a waste of my and your time to even attempt to explain it to you.

(my logic) The whole point of the scientific method is to reduce the amount of influence one's personal beliefs has on the conclusions one makes. By definition intellectual people(people that use the scientific method as a problem solving tool) are more objective than somebody that believes whatever they feel must be actual truth.

You know, in the history of humanity, I'm sure there has been one or two people that have been wrong. It would be hard to know if your wrong if you don't bother to go through a process in which you separate your feelings from ideas and objectively evaluate them.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and never found anything magical about it. I know LOTS about it, I just don't come to the same conclusions that you do.

Who said anything about it being magical? Got the T-shirt, eh? Sounds like religion to me.

The monk Joshu practiced samadhi for forty years. Now about him I might say he knew "LOTS."

Part of the problem in discussing this here is you don't know what I am referring to, and I don't know what you tried that taught you "LOTS." I know from previous statements you (and FZ) have made, it doesn't appear you know anything at all about what I am talking about. If what you tried didn't work out, it might have been because there wasn't anything real there to work out.

Just like there is real science and pseudoscience, there is also real inner practice, and tons of pop pseudo-stuff to try out these days. If you were to undertake a serious study of the history of successes with enlightenment, you would find certain charactieristics common to all the efforts. So far, I've not heard you or anyone else here who talks against the inner experience who also seems to know anything about this. It all sounds like pop culture/religion knowledge to me, not the understanding that comes from conscientious scholarship.

Now, if you don't care to do that kind of research, that is fine with me. As I have said many times, what I object to is all the truly shallow representation of what is inner by people who don't care enough about it to either seriously research or practice it.

Originally posted by Deeviant
Why does this argument remind me of when I was pre-school and I was embroiled in a "intellectual argument" responding to "Your dumb" with the ever classic "Your dumber".

Well, it could be that your interpreting skills need some work, but let’s find out.

Originally posted by Deeviant Your statement . . . is utter garbage.

But first, let me commend you on the above excellent example of how stop that “your dumber” thing.

Originally posted by Deeviant Let me back this claim up with both your logic and my logic, first with yours... (your logic)Obviously, you have not the capability of comprehending what actually is, so it is a waste of my and your time to even attempt to explain it to you.

This must be some new-fangled logic because all I see is your assertion that I lack comprehension of actuality, not evidence and logic used together to make a valid point. In fact, it again sounds remarkably like “your dumber” to me, but then if I am really dumber and lack comprehension, then I probably just don’t understand the new genius on the block. Let me read on and see if I can get your meaning.

Originally posted by Deeviant (my logic) The whole point of the scientific method is to reduce the amount of influence one's personal beliefs has on the conclusions one makes. By definition intellectual people(people that use the scientific method as a problem solving tool) are more objective than somebody that believes whatever they feel must be actual truth.

True, one of the objectives of the scientific method is to reduce. Being in a liberal mood to day, I might grant you that intellectual people think more scientifically than non-intellectual people, and even your conclusion they are more likely to be objective. But what does any of that have to do with my point to FZ?

Here is what I said: “I find it pointless to debate someone who is determined to argue an intellectual position. I say that because if your first priority is to maintain your position, then you are obligated to do everything in your power to discredit any information which might undermine, in this case, materialism. When you do that I know from the outset you are not going to objectively look at what I say, so why bother? If my goal is to trade ideas hoping to learn or teach something true, then there isn't the slightest motivation for me to participate in such a debate.”

I said that in response to FZ’s statement that he was going to argue as a materialist (I'll grant you that I could have been more clear that this is what I was talking about; this is an old debate between FZ and myself, so I didn't elaborate much). When I enter a discussion, I enter it to get at the truth. I couldn’t care less what the truth turns out to be. It is what it is. If reality is purely physical, that is fine with me. If consciousness has had something to do with forming our universe, that is fine with me too.

But how can one be objective if one enters a discussion prioritizing some point over discovering the truth? It those who are attached to reality being a certain way who cannot bring themselves to consider evidence objectively or comprehensively. If you think empirical thinkers are immune to such attachment, you have a lot to learn.

Originally posted by Deeviant You know, in the history of humanity, I'm sure there has been one or two people that have been wrong. It would be hard to know if your wrong if you don't bother to go through a process in which you separate your feelings from ideas and objectively evaluate them. . . . I find this post and many of your others reminiscent of these times of blissful ignorance. I don't know whether or not I should even attempt to respond to your posts, or just admire your ability to stay in happy land...

I hardly need a lecture from you about the history of humanity, about distinguishing feeling and ideas, or about objectivity. As for my ignorance compared to your apparent infatuation with your own abilities and opinions, I think we need to observe you in debate for awhile to judge just how much you really know and how well you reason.

Last edited:
I find this post and many of your others reminiscent of these times of blissful ignorance. I don't know wether or not I should even attempt to respond to your posts, or just admire your ability to stay in happy land...

Your statement of:

is utter garbage.

Deeviant,

I happen to know that a lot of the attitude that you see in this post is based on many past discussions and resulting attitudes with the same people. Many times, when people engage in discussion with one another in different threads the tone/attitude continues throughout. So to make opinions the way you have is taking a lot out of context. You might want to remember that before you eagerly start to argue again.

Ok, I guess its just in my nature to argue.
It is in my nature to learn. I have learned a lot from particpating in this forum. This means, at some point I've had to stop arguing and start acknowleding that someone knows more than I do about some things and start asking questions. Hope you find what you're after.

Last edited:
Flip, if you care to analyse my post a little more you will see it as a satire copying sleeth's tone. And for your information I am not completely new to debating with sleeth as he has been a active and vocal opponent in one of other threads.

As far as the statement of my like of arguing, it was used more as a transition then a statement. I have no problem admitting that someone else has more knowledge than me on a subject and if you saw my other post's in the hard science portions of PF you would see this.

It is in everybodies nature to learn. It is only the decree of success that separates us in this respect.

Why would you think 'one "knowledge' has to be obtained at the expense of the other"? I don't have the slightest problem understanding the difference between external and internal knowledge.
Well, I do. When you talk of turning inwards or outwards, you imply that by looking "inwards", you must turn your back on the "outwards". I cannot remotely see why that must be true, or why that sort of dualism is right.

When a baby is born he or she can experience joy immediately. Exactly what "experiences around" made him/her that way? That potential for joy is already in there.
Instinct. The part of the external universe that makes up his brain. The experiences he has whilst copying his zygote, in his mother's womb.

In my opinion, you will never understand the experience Jesus and the Buddha were having through religion.
Au contraire. It was through looking through our millenias of gibberish that I came to understand, and came to a very different understanding from you.

What the Buddha attained occurred after many years of work that culminated under the Bodhi tree sitting in uninterrupted meditation for a few days.
Precisely. Many years of hard work. He could not have just sat down, and seen "the truth within". He worked, and absorbed the truth. That is the way it works. Jesus again - his Passion was at the end of a journey. He was probably not born enlightened, but enlightenment came to him through action, even temptation. Who said anything about intellectual understanding?

I say it was the power of the "enlightenment" experience that attracted people to the Buddha (and Jesus), not his ideas.
Yes, excuse my spurious examples. I do not think it was the power of the enlightenment experience that drew peace, but a simple and facile lure. Happiness, paradise, an end. That's why people deluded themselves with. They went there, because they thought it would be easy to copy someone who has already done it. And that is not true, is it?

it is the translation of seriously practicing samadhi meditation
Samadhi, yes, samadhi. Tell me, do you still close your eyes when you practice samadhi meditation? The point of samadhi is oneness, an awakening of one sort of consciousness. Maybe it's BS, maybe it isn't. But samadhi is not about closing down one avenue, about switching lanes. It is about realisation of the oneness of reality, of the oneness of the self with the universe. It is not about looking inwards, or outwards, or whatever, but seeing not two, or many, but one. That is my interpretation, at least.

I think the experience of samadhi is more prevalent that you think. Einstein's god is a manifestation of that, for example. He did not look inward. I don't think most of them cared. They simply looked.

Flip, if you care to analyse my post a little more you will see it as a satire copying sleeth's tone. And for your information I am not completely new to debating with sleeth as he has been a active and vocal opponent in one of other threads.

As far as the statement of my like of arguing, it was used more as a transition then a statement. I have no problem admitting that someone else has more knowledge than me on a subject and if you saw my other post's in the hard science portions of PF you would see this.

It is in everybodies nature to learn. It is only the decree of success that separates us in this respect.

Yes I understood the satire. Just didn't think it was fair in context. Perhaps your discussions with sleeth were after he felt he was casting his pearls before swine. Because there was a time when he was very patient and descriptive with this topic.

Originally posted by FZ+
When you talk of turning inwards or outwards, you imply that by looking "inwards", you must turn your back on the "outwards". I cannot remotely see why that must be true, or why that sort of dualism is right.

I feel deep pleasure when I listen to music, but I can also analyze the technical aspects of good music. The intellect is a great tool for analyzing, but quite inadequate for feeling deeply. So tell me, is there a duality there?

If you wanted to practice a musical instrument, and to eliminate all distractions you lock yourself in your room, is that turning your back on the rest of your potentials? Don't people who practice a skill normally focus on the skill they are trying to develop, and exclude other things while they do so?

So what are you talking about? Everything you say demonstrates how little you know about samadhi. Why speak authoritatively on a subject that is mostly theory on your part?

Originally posted by FZ+
Precisely. Many years of hard work. He could not have just sat down, and seen "the truth within". He worked, and absorbed the truth. That is the way it works.

Your statement that "He could not have just sat down, and seen the truth within" is exactly what the Buddha claimed he did, as well as a great many subsequent Buddhist masters. Why don't you know that, and why are you arguing with me if you don't knowt?

Originally posted by FZ+
Tell me, do you still close your eyes when you practice samadhi meditation? The point of samadhi is oneness, an awakening of one sort of consciousness. Maybe it's BS, maybe it isn't. But samadhi is not about closing down one avenue, about switching lanes. It is about realisation of the oneness of reality, of the oneness of the self with the universe. It is not about looking inwards, or outwards, or whatever, but seeing not two, or many, but one. That is my interpretation, at least.

Sometimes this site can be incredibly frustrating, with young know-it-alls lecturing about samadhi, for example, to someone who has practiced samadhi an hour or so a day for over 30 years. With life all figured out who needs humility, openness, or acknowledgment of the role of experience in actually knowing versus theorizing.[b(]

Last edited:
Originally posted by FZ+
Well, I do. When you talk of turning inwards or outwards, you imply that by looking "inwards", you must turn your back on the "outwards". I cannot remotely see why that must be true, or why that sort of dualism is right.

All that I can do is tell you of my personal experiences. When I do not understand something especially concerning cosmology and physics I look inward to find that understanding. I usually do find it and it is usually an 'Aha! Of course! Now I see!' type of experience. One does not turn their back on on external phenomena or experience when one looks inward but finds their place and their relationship with the universe, with reality in all of its aspects. One becomes one with the One. It is the marriage of inter and outer rather than the exclusion of one to look at the other.

Precisely. Many years of hard work. He could not have just sat down, and seen "the truth within". He worked, and absorbed the truth. That is the way it works. Jesus again - his Passion was at the end of a journey. He was probably not born enlightened, but enlightenment came to him through action, even temptation. Who said anything about intellectual understanding?

It is my understanding that the Buddha did not teach religion at all and that true Buddhism is a way of living and thinking not a religion at all. Buddha when asked about God and the the spiritual reality said to let the gods and heaven take care of themselves. We are concerned with living life here on this world. Jesus' teaching where much the same far more concerned with how we live our lives here on Earth rather than getting into heaven or being saved. This similarity is what drew me to Buddhism in the first place and then back to Christianity. I consider myself a Christian Zen Buddhist.

Yet I still study science, physics, cosmology, philosophy as well as meditate and study my inner self in relation with my outer reality. There is no conflict nor does one study exclude any other study.

I think the experience of samadhi is more prevalent that you think. Einstein's god is a manifestation of that, for example. He did not look inward. I don't think most of them cared. They simply looked.

I'm sure that your right, though I don't know that you are. The point is that they looked with an open, unbiased mind willing to see whatever they saw not determined only to see what they wanted to see or believed that they would see. If we can look that way it doesn't matter where we look for it is all one reality.

Sometimes this site can be incredibly frustrating, with young know-it-alls lecturing about samadhi, for example, to someone who has practiced samadhi a couple of hours a day for over 30 years. What a pain it is to have to continuously respond to relatively inexperienced people who talk like they have life all figured out. No humility, not much openness, no acknowledgment of the role of experience in actually knowing versus theorizing, but plenty of trying to stand on equal ground with people who have significantly more experience in the subject they are lecturing about. [b(]

Maybe my inexperience(or my intelligence?) is clouding my vision. Perhaps its is not just the intensified fear of oblivion the causes many older people to accept some sort of spirtuality, but for all my attempts, I can not see what you are referencing to when you talk about your intangible reality.

I am not closed minded, I am willing to accept evidence and examine other people's ideas. Can you show me anything from your self-proclaimed phenomenal experience.

Anything at all that I can relate to, to explain to me what your speak of with your inner self. Something that somebody outside yourself can grasp? I can't even tell what you are arguing for or about anymore, perhaps you could enlightening me.

Maybe my inexperience(or my intelligence?) is clouding my vision. Perhaps its is not just the intensified fear of oblivion the causes many older people to accept some sort of spirtuality, but for all my attempts, I can not see what you are referencing to when you talk about your intangible reality. I am not closed minded, I am willing to accept evidence and examine other people's ideas. Can you show me anything from your self-proclaimed phenomenal experience. Anything at all that I can relate to, to explain to me what your speak of with your inner self. Something that somebody outside yourself can grasp? I can't even tell what you are arguing for or about anymore, perhaps you could enlightening me.

A big part of the problem discussing this is that your mind (like most) is already full of concepts that are difficult to get around. For instance, in the statement “perhaps its is not just the intensified fear of oblivion that causes many older people to accept some sort of spirituality” are ideas I have to talk through when I attempt to explain myself to you. A great deal of the many layers of concepts about inner exploration have been built up from the popularization of inner stuff, from religious interpretation, from negative reactions to religious interpretation, and from just plain ignorance.

What does “spirituality” mean, for example? Does that include voodoo, crystal therapy, psychics, alchemy, ghost hunters, Subud, astrology . . . ? Personally I avoid that word like the plague just because it can mean so many things; but that doesn’t stop people from thinking all the things they believe or suspect about spirituality when I try to talk about an inner practice. That is why most conversations about an inner experience at this site end up never getting past skeptics’ myriad of concepts. Often those concepts are really just a way of saying, “my mind is closed.” On the other hand, it seems ironic to me that most people are atheists because of the beliefs of religion and spirituality, so where does that leave us?

Let’s try an analogy. What if science still hadn’t established itself as effective? Instead, after a few developments and discoveries, the people in power put a stop to real science and began promoting pseudoscience (although still calling it science). Now, centuries later, when reasonable people hear the word science they associate it with all the practices of pseudoscience, and consequently reject science as nonsense. Yet among the advocates of science are a few who have taken the time to understand what it was originally, and what it can become if done correctly. Still, the vast majority of people who are devotees of science (in this story) are really believing in pseudoscience, and it their beliefs which reasonable people react to, and it is because of the majority view that they also reject those who try to recommend the original meaning of science.

Getting back to inner practices, is there anything real there or is it all hocus pocus? I am in the minority when I say that there is something real there but it has nothing to do with religion/spirituality because now I have no allies either among the science devotees or the religion/spirituality devotees. I came to this conclusion after many years of study. What I found was that certain individuals appear to have attained a new level of consciousness through a specific sort of meditation called samadhi, a practice that the Buddha first proved could be perfected as “enlightenment.”

As I investigated it, I also discovered that this meditation was extensively practiced outside of India as well. In Christianity it took place primarily in Christian monasteries before the 18th century and was called union or prayer of the heart. It was also practiced in elements of Islam and early Hasidism, in China as Chan and in Japan as Zen. Back in India the practice was central to raja yoga, infiltrated certain Hindu lines, was the heart of what the originating Sikh masters taught, and is still taught today (though somewhat secretly). There are more examples too.

The word “samadhi” means union in English. In samadhi one learns to merge one’s mind with something inside. This “something” is quite still, absolutely still actually, so that in merging the mind attains a stillness unavailable to it before the merging. With practice the length of time the stillness lasts is for longer and longer periods, and endures through more and more difficult living situations. One also discovers that in union and over time, an awareness grows of something that is a complete contrast to what the compound, complex operations of the intellect reveal. It seems to rest silently behind the many manifestations of reality, and in fact seems to be that which all those manifestations emerge out of. The Buddha described it by saying, “There is, monks, that plane where there is neither extension nor motion. . . there is no coming or going or remaining or deceasing or uprising. . . . There is, monks, an unborn, not become, not made, uncompounded . . . [and] because [that exists] . . . an escape can be shown for what is born, has become, is made, is compounded.”

Now, for the sake of this discussion, let’s assume that undifferentiated background really does exist. If in order to perceive the undifferentiated background it takes many years of dedicated practice, as well as practicing the precise methods that lead to union, then exactly how is the person who experiences it going to convince the person who doesn’t that it exists? It is impossible!

Does that mean we are forever doomed to disagree? Well, we are if those who know nothing or very little about this consciousness potential insist on viewing it as the nonsensicalness of religion/spirituality, refuse to study the rich history of achievement through union practice, and continue to evaluate inner work and achievement using outer standards.

The truth is, the only way one can evaluate is to develop union skill. Therefore, I think the most any of us who have gone to the trouble to develop merging skill can recommend is “try it, see if you like it.” We cannot expect the non-experienced to accept as true what we say we experience. I do, however, think we should be able to expect the non-experienced to be open, to have done their homework when they speak about the inner thing, and to admit when they don’t know what they are talking about.

Last edited:
LWS:
Sometimes this site can be incredibly frustrating, with young know-it-alls lecturing about samadhi, for example, to someone who has practiced samadhi an hour or so a day for over 30 years. With life all figured out who needs humility, openness, or acknowledgment of the role of experience in actually knowing versus theorizing.
Again, the funny little age thing comes up. When did I say I had life all figured out? I say that you should not practice that superior attitude, and speak of your opinions as anything more than opinions.

Your statement that "He could not have just sat down, and seen the truth within" is exactly what the Buddha claimed he did, as well as a great many subsequent Buddhist masters. Why don't you know that, and why are you arguing with me if you don't knowt?
Because that is wrong, as you yourself have admitted. Why do we care about your 30 years at all, if it was not true that slow gaining of experience did not have an effect. The Buddha did not say that only the last step was necessary - it was simply the culmination of a journey, and in this journey, there are no shortcuts.

I feel deep pleasure when I listen to music, but I can also analyze the technical aspects of good music. The intellect is a great tool for analyzing, but quite inadequate for feeling deeply. So tell me, is there a duality there?
No, because you are doing both, and seeing with both, not that there are two things to see.

If you wanted to practice a musical instrument, and to eliminate all distractions you lock yourself in your room, is that turning your back on the rest of your potentials? Don't people who practice a skill normally focus on the skill they are trying to develop, and exclude other things while they do so?
When you practise an instrument, you still need the sheet music. You cannot do it in isolation.

So what are you talking about? Everything you say demonstrates how little you know about samadhi. Why speak authoritatively on a subject that is mostly theory on your part?
It is not mostly theory, and that is my realisation. Look at it from my side - what would you say in response to that statement?

Royce:
One does not turn their back on on external phenomena or experience when one looks inward but finds their place and their relationship with the universe, with reality in all of its aspects.
Thank you. That is precisely what I mean. It is not a matter of competition between inner and outer. It is a matter of turning the outer into the inner and vice versa, so there is really no difference between the two.

It is my understanding that the Buddha did not teach religion at all and that true Buddhism is a way of living and thinking not a religion at all.
Well, there is an inherent danger in talking about "true Buddhism", but I agree with you here. Hopefully it wouldn't be too over the top to say that I feel science is a combination of buddhism and taoism. Buddhist in recognising the value of knowledge, understanding and experience, and emphasising individual endeavor and skepticism, and taoist in emphasising balance and a belief in the fundamental logicalness of the universe. Or maybe that is going too far...

Originally posted by FZ+ Because that is wrong, as you yourself have admitted. Why do we care about your 30 years at all, if it was not true that slow gaining of experience did not have an effect. The Buddha did not say that only the last step was necessary - it was simply the culmination of a journey, and in this journey, there are no shortcuts.

You are not addressing the the issue as you originally said it. Of course I believe one needs experience to learn. But what you said was that the Buddha needed to go out into the world and acquire external life experience to attain enlightenment. You said he couldn't do it just sitting and practicing samadhi. It was with that that I emphatically disagreed. Life experience is one thing, the practice which leads to enlightenment is another.

Originally posted by FZ+
No, because you are doing both, and seeing with both, not that there are two things to see. When you practise an instrument, you still need the sheet music. You cannot do it in isolation.

? You might want to reread what I said, you've missed my point.

Originally posted by FZ+
Again, the funny little age thing comes up. When did I say I had life all figured out? I say that you should not practice that superior attitude, and speak of your opinions as anything more than opinions.

You say I act superior, I say I act more experienced. I cannot bring myself to listen much to someone who acts certain about things with which they are relatively inexperienced. Why? Well, because I have learned that except for the rare intuitive insight, the only people who know what they are doing are the experienced. I would also grant more credibility to a well-trained person with good instincts; but see, even then, although they might be personally inexperienced, they have been taught what others have learned through experience.

To be honest, I can't see how it will be fruitful for us to discuss things as long as we are so far apart on agreeing about the importance of being experienced before expressing certainty. I mean, that's okay, we can agree to disagree. But if you are determined to have that sort of certainty, I will continue to resist your opinions.

Last edited:
Originally posted by FZ+

Well, there is an inherent danger in talking about "true Buddhism", but I agree with you here. Hopefully it wouldn't be too over the top to say that I feel science is a combination of buddhism and taoism. Buddhist in recognising the value of knowledge, understanding and experience, and emphasising individual endeavor and skepticism, and taoist in emphasising balance and a belief in the fundamental logicalness of the universe. Or maybe that is going too far...
I may be wrong and I am sure there will be many who disagree with me; never the less, I think that the combination of Tao and Buddhism is Zen Buddhism. At least I see a number of simularities.

Looking inward is only a tool, a way to come in touch with our selves and our reality, a way to clear our minds and see what is, a way to quiten our mind so that we can hear what is constantly being told to us, a way to see both that which is within and that which is without and see that, as you said, that there is ultimately no difference. The reason that there is no dofference is that there is only one reality and is contains all that is, physical objective ,mental subjective and spiritual or if you have problems with that term that which is outside of spacetime, without physical form and is the source of all that is.
It is all one and all is one and it is all real. This is why I have referred to myself as a realist rather than a dualist. IMHO dualism is still only looking at part of reality just as materialism is.

Originally posted by b11ngoo
Ok. I being a creationist will answer your request.

- I postulate the big bang clock started iintelligence. This when viewed as A.I. is transferrable to a view of God.

- A.I. or Intelligence can exist digitally. The clock that began this was started with the big bang.

- I postulate this clock driven intelligence can create wisdom. It created wisdom with humanity, it's said. So wisdom can create itself under the conditions of digital intelligence that's processed by the big bang clock, if our processors, our mind, can have wisdom.

- So. How much intelligence. And how much of a processor. Is needed to create a powerful cosmic life called, powerful one(God).

If you still believe that kind of condition can't form intelligence. Huh ? What more imperical evidence do you need ?

hmm, imperical evidence...

I'm sorry, I normally don't attack spelling, but if you can not spell empirical, I doubt you have the ability to actually gather empirical evidence. Which would be strongly supported by the fact the you state hypotheses that, in the words of one of the pf mentors "sounds suspiciously like nonsense" and claim them to be "imperical" evidence.

To save you the time of looking up empirical, I will do it for you:

Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.

a.
Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.

Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.

Hmm, What experiment have you done or observations have you made that you base your statement: "the big bang clock started iintelligence."

Or more importantly, what is "the big bang clock started iintelligence" supposed to mean?

And is this supposed to be a comic relief from the tension between disillusioned and accomplished buddhists?

Just joking, no offence intended.

Last edited:

Originally posted by b11ngoo
And that post was bad manners. Did you look at my point's you quoted ? Or is this the grammer forum. (;(-

Like I said in my post, I normally don't attack spelling, but I made a special case in this instance. I've never seen somebody attack spelling in these forums, so I think it's safe to say this is not the grammer forum. It was funny because your misppelling simply added irony(Imperical evidence, hehe) to your post.

I did look at the points of that you pointed out, and I even spent enough time to look at your "theory of every". I politely decline to address any points of your "Theory of Everything" and I would not care to spend to time debunking it, as no doubt you, as am I, are firm in your beliefs.

Karma or Self Evaluation

I'm sorry, I normally don't attack spelling, but if you can not spell empirical, I doubt you have the ability to actually gather empirical evidence. . . .

Hmm, What experiment have you done. . .

Polly might say it's bad karma.

However, if you are correct, what should we conclude about your ability to experiment?

Last edited:

Polly might say it's bad karma.

However, if you are correct, what should we conclude about your ability to experiment?

Uhh I think the word is actually expirment LW. The ultimate in irony.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Fliption
Uhh I think the word is actually expirment LW. The ultimate in irony.

The act of expiring? :smile:

The act of expiring? :smile:

exactely so. As in his logic is quickly expiring