Deceleration, velocity, acceleration, distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of driving towards a traffic signal turning yellow. The driver's speed is 55 km/h and their best deceleration rate is 5.18 m/s^2. They also have a reaction time of 0.75 seconds. The question is whether they should brake to a stop or continue at 55 km/h to avoid entering the intersection after the light turns red, given the distance to the intersection and the duration of the yellow light. The conversation also briefly touches on using the formula x = x0 + v0t + 0.5at^2 and the possibility of needing a physics tutor for help.
munchy35

You are driving toward a traffic signal when it turns yellow. Your speed is the legal speed limit of v0=55 km/h.: your best deceleration rate has the magnitude a = 5.18 m/s^2. Your best reaction time to begin braking is T = .75S. To avoid having the front of your car enter the intersection after the light turns red, should you brake to a stop or continue to move at 55 km/h if the distance to the intersection and the duration of the yellow light are a) 40 m and 2.8 s, and b) 32 m and 1.8s? Give an answer of brake, continue, either (if either strategy works) or neither (if neither strategy works and the yellow duration is inappropriate).

x = x0 + v0 t + .5at^2

any derivatives needed...dx/dt? dv/dt?

well the first thing i tried was converting the 55 km/h to the correct units of m/s. so 55 km/h = roughly about 15.277778 m/s.

then i drew some pictures and realized i need to use a formula involving v0, time, distance, and acceleration. I'm just confused on how to use T=.75 s. I'm getting a physics tutor soon, but since i don't have one yet...i need a lot of help. i just don't even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you can use the reaction time to calculate the distance you travel before applying the brake. You should be able to find the answer if you just use the equation you have quoted I don't think derivatives are required.:biggrin:

1. To determine whether you should brake to a stop or continue at 55 km/h, we need to use the formula x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x is the distance, x0 is the initial distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration. We also need to consider the reaction time, T, which is the time it takes for you to start braking after seeing the yellow light.

For situation a) where the distance to the intersection is 40 m and the yellow light duration is 2.8 s, we can plug in the values into the formula: 40 = 0 + (15.277778)(2.8) + 1/2(5.18)(2.8)^2. This gives us a final distance of 40.092 m, which means you should continue at 55 km/h to safely pass through the intersection before the light turns red.

For situation b) where the distance to the intersection is 32 m and the yellow light duration is 1.8 s, we can plug in the values into the formula: 32 = 0 + (15.277778)(1.8) + 1/2(5.18)(1.8)^2. This gives us a final distance of 32.036 m, which means you should brake to a stop to avoid entering the intersection after the light turns red.

2. The derivatives needed for this problem are dx/dt and dv/dt, which represent the instantaneous velocity and acceleration, respectively. To find dx/dt, we simply take the derivative of the position equation: dx/dt = v0 + at. And to find dv/dt, we take the derivative of the velocity equation: dv/dt = a.

3. It's great that you have a physics tutor coming soon, as this problem involves some important concepts in physics such as acceleration, velocity, and distance. It's important to understand how to use the formulas and equations in order to solve problems like this one. In addition, understanding the concept of reaction time and how it affects your decision-making while driving is crucial for safe driving. Keep practicing and asking questions, and your understanding of this topic will improve.

Related to Deceleration, velocity, acceleration, distance

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity refers to the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction. It is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object. Acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the rate at which an object changes its velocity. It is also a vector quantity, but it only considers the change in speed, not direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is:
acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and deceleration?

Acceleration and deceleration are opposite processes. Acceleration refers to an increase in velocity, while deceleration refers to a decrease in velocity. Mathematically, acceleration and deceleration can be represented by positive and negative values, where positive values indicate an increase in velocity and negative values indicate a decrease in velocity.

4. How do you find the distance traveled with a given acceleration and time?

To find the distance traveled with a given acceleration and time, you can use the formula:
distance = initial velocity * time + 1/2 * acceleration * time^2
This formula assumes that the initial velocity is zero. If the initial velocity is not zero, you can modify the formula by adding the initial velocity * time to the equation.

5. How does the concept of acceleration relate to real-life scenarios?

Acceleration is a fundamental concept in physics that can be observed in many real-life scenarios. For example, when a car accelerates from a complete stop, it increases its velocity over time. Similarly, when a person jumps off a diving board, they experience a change in velocity due to the acceleration of gravity. Understanding acceleration can help us analyze and predict the behavior of moving objects in our everyday lives.