Decent job with just bachelor & PhD but no industrial experience?

In summary, the conversation discusses the career prospects of a final year BEng Civil Engineering student who has an offer for a fully funded PhD in Computational Engineering. The individual wonders about their options if they do not pursue a career in academia, as they have no industrial experience. They consider a career in finance or banking, but are unsure if they can still become a civil engineer. The conversation also mentions the value of a PhD in the financial industry and the potential for a higher salary.
ilustrius
As a final year BEng Civil Engineering undergraduate, I currently hold an offer to do a fully funded PhD in Computational Engineering. I should be 23 by time I finish this. Should I opt to not remain in Academia, and with virtually no industrial experience, what sort of decent paid work could I be looking at?

I've thought about a career in finance or banking, but would I still be able to become a Civil Engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd be looking at entry-level Civil Engineering jobs, obviously. With no experience (not even an internship?) the field will not be tilted in your favor.

I've thought about a career in finance or banking, but would I still be able to become a Civil Engineer?
No offense, but the odds of a financial or banking institution hiring a Bachelor's graduate in engineering are exceedingly low... unless you're looking to be a teller.

fss said:
You'd be looking at entry-level Civil Engineering jobs, obviously. With no experience (not even an internship?) the field will not be tilted in your favor.

No offense, but the odds of a financial or banking institution hiring a Bachelor's graduate in engineering are exceedingly low... unless you're looking to be a teller.

Perhaps in the US. Not in the UK. Engineering graduates are highly sought after in the financial industry. My concern is whether a PhD Engineering is equally or better regarded.

fss said:

If the candidate has a Ph.D. in engineering and a lot of computational experience, it's not particularly difficult to get a job in finance.

ilustrius said:
My concern is whether a PhD Engineering is equally or better regarded.

If you do something computationally complicated then yes.

ilustrius said:
As a final year BEng Civil Engineering undergraduate, I currently hold an offer to do a fully funded PhD in Computational Engineering. I should be 23 by time I finish this. Should I opt to not remain in Academia, and with virtually no industrial experience, what sort of decent paid work could I be looking at?

You should be looking at something that requires the advanced knowledge and skills that you gain from your PhD.

Of course you can still become an engineer with a BEng in civil engineering and a PhD in computational engineering. But when you see the pay-packets from finance and banking you may be persuaded to change your mind.

Related to Decent job with just bachelor & PhD but no industrial experience?

1. Can I get a decent job with just a bachelor's degree and a PhD but no industrial experience?

Yes, it is possible to get a decent job with just a bachelor's degree and a PhD, even without any prior industrial experience. Many employers value the advanced knowledge and skills that come with a PhD and may be willing to overlook the lack of industry experience. However, it may be more challenging to secure certain positions that require specific industry knowledge and experience.

2. Will not having industrial experience hinder my chances of getting a job?

Not having industrial experience may make it more difficult to land certain jobs, but it does not necessarily mean you will not be able to get a job at all. You can highlight your academic achievements, research experience, and transferable skills, such as critical thinking and problem-solving, to make your application stand out to potential employers.

3. How can I make up for the lack of industrial experience in my job search?

There are several ways to compensate for the lack of industrial experience in your job search. You can consider internships, volunteer work, or part-time jobs in related fields to gain practical experience and demonstrate your skills to employers. Networking and building connections in your desired industry can also help open up opportunities for you.

4. Is it worth pursuing a PhD without any prior industrial experience?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and aspirations. A PhD can open doors to higher-level positions in academia, research, and other industries. However, if your goal is to work in a specific industry, it may be beneficial to gain some industrial experience before pursuing a PhD to make yourself a more competitive candidate.

5. What should I highlight in my job application if I don't have any industrial experience?

In addition to your academic qualifications, you can highlight any relevant research experience, technical skills, and soft skills, such as teamwork and communication, in your job application. You can also mention any projects or coursework that gave you hands-on experience in your field of study. Additionally, showcasing your enthusiasm, motivation, and willingness to learn can also make a positive impression on potential employers.