Decibel Scale and Noise Limits: Understanding Log Problems

• Thread starter maccaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the decibel scale and its relation to the noise levels of an industrial plant near a residential suburb. The manager of the industrial plant agreed to limit noise to 75dB with a variation of up to 15%, but residents complained that the noise often reached 85dB. The manager defended their stance by stating that the variation was within the agreed limit. While the actual intensity difference may be small, the percentage variation is actually much higher than the agreed upon 15%. However, since the agreement was about decibels and not intensity, the manager's statement is justified.
maccaman
Here is the question as it follows:

The decibel scale, defined as

[tex] L = 10 log (\frac{I}{I_0}) [/tex]

where L is the Loudness (or comparative intensity) in decibels (dB),
[tex] I_0 [/tex] is the reference level (10^-12 watts per m^2)
I is the actual intensity of the sound measured (watts per m^2).

now here's the question part:
An owner of an industrial plant next to a residential suburb agreed to limit noise to 75dB with a variation of up to 15% at a distance of 100m from the factory gates. Residents subsequently complained that sounds often reached 85dB. The manager replied, "It's not far over the limit - it's under the 15% variation agreed." Discuss whether or not the mangers statement is justified.

Dont quite know what there getting at, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
85- 75= 10 so the variation is 10. 10/75= 0.133333.. which is less than 0.15. Yes, the variation is less than 15% of the noise limit. I am interpreting the statement "75dB with a variation of up to 15%" literally: 15% of 75dB.

Of course, 75 decibels means 10 log(I/I0)= 75 or I= I0107.5= 10-1210[7.5]= 10-4.5 watts/m2 and
85 decibels means 10 log(I/I0)= 85 or I= I0108.5= 10-1210[8.5]= 10-3.5 watts/m2 so the actual difference in intensity is 0.000285 so the percentage variation is 0.000285/10-4.5= 9 (900%) which is far more than 15%.

But, the original agreement was about decibels, not intensity. The manager's statement is justified. (and that second paragraph is irrelevant.)

The manager's statement is not entirely justified. While it is true that the noise levels are within the agreed upon variation of 15%, it is important to consider the actual decibel level that the residents are being exposed to. 85dB is considered a high level of noise and can be harmful to human health if exposed to for a prolonged period of time. The agreed upon limit of 75dB is meant to protect the residents from excessive noise pollution and the manager should take responsibility for ensuring that the noise levels are not consistently reaching 85dB.

Additionally, the decibel scale is logarithmic, meaning that even a small change in decibel level can have a significant impact on the perceived loudness of the sound. For example, a 10dB increase in noise level is perceived as a doubling of loudness. Therefore, even though the noise levels may only be 10dB over the agreed limit, it can still have a significant impact on the residents' quality of life.

Furthermore, the agreed limit of 75dB is meant to be a maximum limit, not an average or regular level of noise. The manager should take measures to reduce the noise levels below 75dB to ensure that the residents are not consistently exposed to high levels of noise.

In conclusion, while the manager's statement may be technically correct, it is not a sufficient justification for the consistently high noise levels reaching 85dB. The well-being of the residents should be the top priority and steps should be taken to reduce the noise levels to within the agreed upon limit of 75dB.

Related to Decibel Scale and Noise Limits: Understanding Log Problems

What is a logarithm and why do we use it?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that is the inverse of exponentiation. It is used to solve equations involving exponential growth or decay, and to make calculations easier when dealing with large numbers.

How do I solve a logarithm problem?

To solve a logarithm problem, you need to rewrite the problem in exponential form and then solve for the variable. For example, if the problem is log base 2 of 8 = x, you would rewrite it as 2^x = 8 and then solve for x by taking the square root of both sides.

What is the difference between natural log and common log?

Natural log, or ln, is the logarithm with base e (approximately 2.718). Common log, or log, is the logarithm with base 10. Both are used in different fields of mathematics and science.

What are the properties of logarithms?

The main properties of logarithms are the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the individual terms. The power rule states that the logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent multiplied by the logarithm of the base.

How can I check if my answer to a logarithm problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original logarithm equation. If your answer satisfies the equation, then it is correct. You can also use a calculator to verify your answer.