Decide the resulting force (F) per meter on L2

In summary, the problem involves three parallel wires, L1, L2, and L3, with L2 at a 90-degree angle and a distance of 0.50 meters between L2 and L1, L3. The currents through L1 and L3 are 300 A while the current through L2 is 600 A. The task is to find the resulting power force per meter at L2. To solve this, the equations for force and magnetic field due to a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field are needed. The geometry of the situation is not clearly defined, but it is assumed that L1 and L3 are in the x-y plane and L2 is along the z-axis with its current
DecoratorFawn82

Homework Statement

Three long straight parallell wires that conduct electricity called L1, L2 and L3. The angle at L2 is 90 degrees and the distance between L2 and L1, L3 is 0,50 meters. The current through the wires L1 and L3 is 300 A while the current in L2 is 600 A. Decide the resulting power force (F) per meter at L2.

PICTURE:
O. the current goes towards you (out from the book for example)
Ox the current goes from you (into the book for example)
L3 O. ---<
|
| 0,50m
|
L1 L2 |
O. 0,50m ⊗ ----<
|<----------------->|

Homework Equations

F = I * l * B = [A] * [m] * [T]

B = k * (I/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First I thought that I was supposed to use pythagoras theorem to calculate the distance between L1 and L3:

l = √(0,50^2+0,50^2) = 0,71 m

Using this information I thought I could calculate the power for L1 and L3 and somehow calculate the power for L2 also.

I knew I (A) and l (m) but I didn't know B? How am I supposed to be able to calculate B when I don't know what F is?

The answer according to my physics book is F = 0,10 N at southeast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have a good picture of the geometry of the situation.
Are L1 and L3 parallel?
Which directions do the current point?

If you define x-y-z axes, so the the x-axis is to the right and the y-axis is up the page, then z axis points out of the page.
If L2 is along the z axis - and it's current points in the -z direction ... where are the others?
Would L1 and L3 be in the same plane? Then put them in the x-y plane perhaps?

Presumably you have an equation for the force on a current-carrying wire that is in a magnetic field.
You have another equation for the magnetic field due to a long straight wire carrying a current.

Related to Decide the resulting force (F) per meter on L2

1. What is the formula for calculating the resulting force per meter on L2?

The formula for calculating the resulting force (F) per meter on L2 is F = m x a, where m represents the mass of the object and a represents the acceleration.

2. What does "per meter" mean in relation to the resulting force on L2?

"Per meter" refers to the unit of measurement for the resulting force (F) on L2. It indicates that the force is being measured over a distance of one meter.

3. How is the resulting force per meter on L2 related to the mass and acceleration of an object?

The resulting force per meter on L2 is directly proportional to the mass and acceleration of an object. This means that as the mass or acceleration increases, the resulting force per meter on L2 will also increase.

4. Can the resulting force per meter on L2 be negative?

Yes, the resulting force per meter on L2 can be negative. A negative force indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

5. How does the resulting force per meter on L2 affect the movement of an object?

The resulting force per meter on L2 determines the acceleration of an object. If the resulting force per meter is greater than zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the force. If the resulting force per meter is zero, the object will maintain a constant velocity. And if the resulting force per meter is negative, the object will decelerate in the opposite direction of the force.