Deciding if a statement is true or false regarding null sets/elements

• I
  • Thread starter dirtypurp
  • Start date
In summary: It's a matter of how you interpret the notation. I would suggest using the symbols I suggested, to avoid confusion.In summary, the conversation discusses the truth or falsity of various statements involving the empty set, represented by the symbol φ. The participants also discuss the importance of interpreting the notation correctly in order to arrive at the correct answers. Some also suggest using simpler symbols to avoid confusion. Ultimately, it is determined that exactly half of the statements are true and the other half are false.
dirtypurp
So far I have determined that first two statements are true but really need help on understanding proper logic as I don't think I am doing it right.

1 State whether the following are True or False

a.) {{φ}} ∈ {{φ}, {φ}}

b.) {φ} ∈ {{φ}, {φ}}

c.) {{φ}} ⊆ {φ, {φ}}

d.) φ ⊆ {φ, {φ}}

e.) φ ∈ {φ, {φ}}

f.) {φ} ⊆ {{φ, {φ}}}

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be careful about counting brackets. Make sure that a statement that refers to an element is in the other set as an element, not just a subset. For further help, you need to show how you are interpreting each side: element, set, subset, etc.

dirtypurp said:
So far I have determined that first two statements are true

First one is false.

Likes PeroK
dirtypurp said:
So far I have determined that first two statements are true but really need help on understanding proper logic as I don't think I am doing it right.

1 State whether the following are True or False

a.) {{φ}} ∈ {{φ}, {φ}}

b.) {φ} ∈ {{φ}, {φ}}

c.) {{φ}} ⊆ {φ, {φ}}

d.) φ ⊆ {φ, {φ}}

e.) φ ∈ {φ, {φ}}

f.) {φ} ⊆ {{φ, {φ}}}
What I would do first is replace all these sets with simpler notation. E.g:

##\varphi = A, \ \{ \varphi \} = \{ A \} = B, \ \{ \{ \varphi \} \} = \{ B \} = C##

Likes Klystron, FactChecker, sysprog and 1 other person
Math_QED said:
First one is false.

Yes I tried learning it again last night and I have gotten F, T, T, T, T, F.

Likes FactChecker
dirtypurp said:
I disagree with one of those answers.

Likes member 587159
dirtypurp said:
It's interesting that d and e force you to interpret the left side ##\emptyset## as a set and an element, respectively, to fit the context.

• Informative
Likes dirtypurp and member 587159
FactChecker said:
It's interesting that d and e force you to interpret the left side ##\emptyset## as a set and an element, respectively, to fit the context.

Ah I didn't even make the connection that ##\varphi## was supposed to be empty set. Changes the solution of course.

Likes FactChecker
Math_QED said:
Ah I didn't even make the connection that ##\varphi## was supposed to be empty set. Changes the solution of course.
That actually might be rust on my part. I guess it is not the symbol for empty set. Maybe it is not supposed to be the empty set.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
I disagree with one of those answers.

Can you clarify which one?

dirtypurp said:
Can you clarify which one?
Hmm, since they are true or false that's giving you the answer! Which one looks dodgy?

Math_QED said:

So a empty set is a subset of any set making d true. For e since its asking if the empty set element can be found in {φ, {φ}} as the set does indeed contain a empty set. making it true as well.

Ahh, so ##\varphi## is supposed to be the empty set! That changes things. Never seen it written like that. It should be ##\emptyset##.

PeroK said:
Ahh, so ##\varphi## is supposed to be the empty set! That changes things. Never seen it written like that. It should be ##\emptyset##.
With that being said - did i seem to get them all right from the previous response?

dirtypurp said:
With that being said - did i seem to get them all right from the previous response?
Yes, it was the confusion over using ##\varphi## for the empty set.

Likes dirtypurp
The thread title uses yet a different term: null.

Likes member 587159
I believe all these text questions can be answered clearly without making any assumption about which set the symbol φ represents.

And just in case the profusion of suggestions has confused the original poster, it's safe to say that exactly half of the six statements are true and the other half are false.

zinq said:
I believe all these text questions can be answered clearly without making any assumption about which set the symbol φ represents.
In some, one must assume that it is a set and can be considered a subset. With that given, I think that I agree.

Likes zinq
Yes, that's why I phrased it like that.

Likes FactChecker

Related to Deciding if a statement is true or false regarding null sets/elements

1. What is a null set/element?

A null set/element is a mathematical concept that refers to a set or element that contains no elements. It is represented by the symbol ∅ or {}. It is also known as an empty set or element.

2. How do you decide if a statement is true or false regarding null sets/elements?

To decide if a statement is true or false regarding null sets/elements, you need to consider the properties of a null set/element. These include:
- A null set/element is a subset of any set
- A null set/element is disjoint from any non-empty set
- A null set/element is equal to itself
If the statement aligns with these properties, it is true. If not, it is false.

3. Can a null set/element be a member of another set?

No, a null set/element cannot be a member of another set. This is because a null set/element, by definition, contains no elements. Therefore, it cannot be part of any other set.

4. Are all empty sets null sets/elements?

Yes, all empty sets are null sets/elements. This is because an empty set, by definition, contains no elements. Therefore, it is a null set/element.

5. How are null sets/elements used in mathematics?

Null sets/elements are used in mathematics to represent the absence of a value or to indicate that a certain condition is not met. They are also used in set theory to define mathematical concepts and operations.