Deciding My Career Goal After High School

• Thread starter Avimanyu Ray
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in physics and desire for a professional job in the field. They are considering pursuing a CS or technical degree, but also mention other branches of physics that have professional applications, such as engineering, medical physics, geophysics, and accelerator physics. The expert advises that for a professional career, engineering may be the best field to start in.
Avimanyu Ray
Hi everyone,
Ive loved physics since high school and never viewed it from the point of a subject to study,but rather like a hobby. However, now after high school, i need to plan out my career and set a specific goal of where I want to see myself after 10 years down the line. I am from India, and doing a B.Sc. Honours in Physics won't fetch me a professional job,which is what I want instead of researching or teaching in physics. Thus, i had been advised to study a CS degree or any other technical degree to enter the technical sector. I like computers and programming and software stuff,but isn't there any professional and/or technical job in physics because I wanted to work under this field (im not talking about research).

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, the professional application of physics to solve real-world problems is the domain of engineering. If a profession is your main goal, that's probably the best field to start in. And of course there are hybrid areas, like engineering physics that you could look into.

Other branches of physics that have a professional component are medical physics and geophysics. You could also look up ZapperZ's thread on accelerator physics.

Likes Avimanyu Ray

Related to Deciding My Career Goal After High School

1. What factors should I consider when deciding my career goal after high school?

When deciding your career goal after high school, there are several factors you should consider. These include your interests, skills, values, and personality. It's also important to consider the job market and the potential for growth and stability in your chosen field. Additionally, think about the education and training required for your desired career and whether it aligns with your financial goals and lifestyle.

2. Is it okay to change my career goal after high school?

Yes, it is completely okay to change your career goal after high school. Many people change their career paths multiple times throughout their lives. It's important to keep an open mind and be willing to adapt as your interests and goals evolve. You may also find that your initial career goal may not be as fulfilling or suitable for you as you thought, and that's okay too.

3. How can I explore different career options after high school?

There are many ways to explore different career options after high school. You can start by researching different industries and job roles online, talking to people in your network who are working in fields that interest you, and participating in internships or job shadowing opportunities. You can also reach out to career counselors or attend career fairs to learn more about different careers and industries.

4. Should I choose a career solely based on salary?

While salary is an important factor to consider, it should not be the sole determining factor when choosing a career. It's important to also consider your interests, skills, and values, as well as the potential for growth and job satisfaction in a particular field. Remember, a high salary does not necessarily guarantee happiness or fulfillment in your career.

5. What resources are available to help me decide my career goal after high school?

There are many resources available to help you decide your career goal after high school. Your school's career center or guidance counselor can provide valuable information and guidance. There are also career assessment tests and online resources that can help you identify your strengths and interests and match them with potential careers. Additionally, talking to professionals in fields that interest you and networking with people in your desired industry can provide valuable insights and guidance.