What Do Symbols Represent in Encoded Messages?

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
The circles represent vowels and the rectangles represent consonants. While most of the message is clear, there is ambiguity in the 2nd letter of the 4th row and the 1st letter of the 5th row. The speaker believes that the 2nd letter on the 4th row refers to the time period from 1979-1981 and 1999, and not the older or newer periods. However, without context, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer to the question posed by the message.
ƒ(x)
2qnz4ew.gif

Decipher the message (i have no idea what it says btw)

I would guess that the circles are vowels and the rectangles are consonants.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Technically, although most of it is clear, I believe the 2nd letter on the 4th row and 1st letter on the 5th row are ambiguous. Only 1 letter makes sense for the 2nd letter on the 4th row, so I'm going to have to guess that they mean the one from 1979–1981 (and 1999), and NOT the older or newer ones.

It asks a question, but without some context, I'm not sure there's a good answer.

Wow, there's a LOT of ambiguity in those particular letters! As of today, I count 12 possibilities, and after 2016, there ought to be 18 possibilities. They probably should have chosen a different combination to get that letter. And BTW, if you're not from the USA, you may need to do a little more research on this one.

DaveE

Last edited:
The answer:
Where is the main apt office?

The key:
Rectangles are bills, circles are coins. The number to the right of the figure is the number of the letter in the name of the person depicted on that piece of US currency. For example, Jefferson is depicted on the $2 bill, and E is the fifth letter in Jefferson. So the last letter on the first line is E. The letter P stands alone. Too bad Polk wasn't more charismatic.

FAQ: What Do Symbols Represent in Encoded Messages?

1. What is deciphering the message?

Deciphering the message is the process of decoding a written or spoken communication in order to understand its meaning.

2. Why is deciphering the message important?

Deciphering the message is important because it allows us to understand and interpret information that may be important or valuable.

3. What are some methods used in deciphering the message?

Some methods commonly used in deciphering the message include cryptography, code-breaking, linguistic analysis, and contextual interpretation.

4. Can deciphering the message be used in real-world situations?

Yes, deciphering the message is used in various real-world situations such as deciphering ancient scripts, solving puzzles and codes, and interpreting encrypted messages in intelligence gathering.

5. What skills are needed to be successful in deciphering the message?

To be successful in deciphering the message, one needs to have a strong understanding of language and communication, analytical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and knowledge of different codes and ciphers.

Back