Decoding some prime number conjectures

• Thread starter bonzion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary: I have another comment. Please consider that I am a pregrad student, and that I find very nice what you're trying to do: you sieve the integers using a family of functions, and then try to deduce properties of the sieved set out of properties of the sieving functions. This is so cool, IMO. All the more reason to demand precision in the argument.
bonzion
1. THERE EXISTS AT LEAST TWO PRIMES NUMBERS BETWEEN N^2 AND (N+1)^2, WHERE N IS A NATURAL NUMBER.

2. THERE EXISTS AT LEAST ONE TWIN-PRIME PAIR BETWEEN N^2 AND (N+2)^2, WHERE N IS AN ODD NATURAL NUMBER.
(THEREFORE THE TWIN PRIME CONJECTURE IS TRUE)
anyone will a powerful system can verify them.

Below is a link to the first of three papers aimed at possibly settling some prime number conjectures.

In this article, we present a simple approach to tackling most prime number conjectures.

The main statement is presented as a conjecture.

http://addo.esmartdesign.com/3e.htm"

CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS ARE WELCOME.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link to the Arenstorf paper is broken; the correct URL is http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0405509/. The paper was withdrawn by its author: "A serious error has been found in the paper, specifically, Lemma 8 is incorrect."

Your definition of [itex]\Psi_m[/itex] doesn't appear to be well-formed; I'm sure you have something particular in mind, but I can't get through the peculiar use of symbols. You seem to mean something like [itex]\Psi_m:\mathbb{N}^m\to\mathbb{N}[/itex] with
[tex]\Psi_m(x_1,\ldots,x_m)=\prod_{i=0}^mf_i(x_1,\ldots,x_m)+\underline{\alpha}(x_1,\ldots,x_m)=m\alpha+\prod_{i=0}^mf_i(x_1,\ldots,x_m)[/tex]
but the functions f are
[tex]f_i(x)=a_ix+b_i[/tex]
for [itex]a_i\in\{1,2,\ldots\},b_i\in\{0,1,2,\ldots\}[/itex], but then you're using a one-dimensional function as an m-dimensional function.

I don't understand the purpose of your class of functions [itex]\underline{x}(a)[/itex] which ignore their all of their arguments. These are constants (nullary functions) more than projection functions.

Little stuff: "Twim Prime Conjecture" should be "Twin Prime Conjecture" (p. 1). The TeX for quotes is `quotation', not 'quotation'.

Last edited:
CRGreathouse said:
The link to the Arenstorf paper is broken; the correct URL is http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0405509/. The paper was withdrawn by its author: "A serious error has been found in the paper, specifically, Lemma 8 is incorrect."

Your definition of [itex]\Psi_m[/itex] doesn't appear to be well-formed; I'm sure you have something particular in mind, but I can't get through the peculiar use of symbols. You seem to mean something like [itex]\Psi_m:\mathbb{N}^m\to\mathbb{N}[/itex] with
[tex]\Psi_m(x_1,\ldots,x_m)=\prod_{i=0}^mf_i(x_1,\ldots,x_m)+\underline{\alpha}(x_1,\ldots,x_m)=m\alpha+\prod_{i=0}^mf_i(x_1,\ldots,x_m)[/tex]
but the functions f are
[tex]f_i(x)=a_ix+b_i[/tex]
for [itex]a_i\in\{1,2,\ldots\},b_i\in\{0,1,2,\ldots\}[/itex], but then you're using a one-dimensional function as an m-dimensional function.

I don't understand the purpose of your class of projection functions [itex]\underline{x}(a)[/itex] which ignore their arguments.

Little stuff: "Twim Prime Conjecture" should be "Twin Prime Conjecture" (p. 1). The TeX for quotes is `quotation', not 'quotation'.

THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT! IT WAS SIMPLY A TYPO. THE CORRECTION HAS BEEN MADE. THANKS

bonzion said:
THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT! IT WAS SIMPLY A TYPO. THE CORRECTION HAS BEEN MADE. THANKS

What was a typo? How are you defining Phi now?

Just a little comment: In case I of theorem 4.1, why N(f) is empty when a=1? In page 6, the second example, h(x)=x+6, has N(h) = {1,2,3,4,5,6}.

Dodo said:
Just a little comment: In case I of theorem 4.1, why N(f) is empty when a=1? In page 6, the second example, h(x)=x+6, has N(h) = {1,2,3,4,5,6}.

N(h) = {1,2,3,4,5,6} since M(h)={7,8,9,10,11,...}

Right. Then why N(f) is empty when a=1, on case I of theorem 4.1?

h(x)=x+6 is an example of a function where a=1, yet N(f) is not empty.

Dodo said:
Right. Then why N(f) is empty when a=1, on case I of theorem 4.1?

h(x)=x+6 is an example of a function where a=1, yet N(f) is not empty.

HI THERE, THERE WAS A LINK TO TWO ARTICLES. PLEASE TRY AGAIN. I GUESS YOU CLICKED BEFORE THE CHANGE. THANKS

Thanks, now I see the change.

I have another comment. Please consider that I am a pregrad student, and that I find very nice what you're trying to do: you sieve the integers using a family of functions, and then try to deduce properties of the sieved set out of properties of the sieving functions. This is so cool, IMO. All the more reason to demand precision in the argument.

Theorem 4.1, cases I-III, show some function families where N(f) is finite, yet this is presented as an "if and only if", and claimed that for all other functions N(f) is infinite, without further proof.

Personally I don't find that so obvious. Look, for example, at all the effort put to show that there are infinite prime numbers. Does the proof that, for all other functions, N(f) is infinite, follow a similar pattern? Can you give a hint? Thanks.

FAQ: Decoding some prime number conjectures

1. What are prime numbers and why are they important?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. They are important in mathematics because they are the building blocks of all natural numbers and play a crucial role in number theory, cryptography, and other fields.

2. What is the Goldbach Conjecture and has it been proven?

The Goldbach Conjecture states that every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. It has not been proven, but it has been verified for all numbers up to 4 x 10^18.

3. What is the Twin Prime Conjecture and has it been proven?

The Twin Prime Conjecture states that there are infinitely many pairs of prime numbers that differ by 2 (e.g. 41 and 43). It has not been proven, but there have been recent breakthroughs that have brought us closer to a solution.

4. How do scientists study and decode prime number conjectures?

Scientists use a variety of techniques such as analytical approaches, computer simulations, and mathematical proofs to study and decode prime number conjectures. They also collaborate and share their findings with other researchers to make progress in understanding these complex problems.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding and decoding prime number conjectures?

Understanding prime number conjectures can lead to advancements in cryptography, which is essential for secure communication and data protection. It also has implications in fields such as physics, computer science, and economics. Additionally, solving these conjectures can help us better understand the patterns and structures of prime numbers, which have fascinated mathematicians for centuries.