Decomposition of Nitrocellulose

• Thread starter spore collecter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decomposition
In summary, the individual successfully synthesized 5 grams of nitrocellulose from cotton balls and stored it for two weeks without any issues. However, they felt that they may not have neutralized it properly, despite thorough washing and drying. They later combined this batch with a new 5 gram batch that was more thoroughly neutralized and washed. After two weeks, they noticed condensation in the plastic bag holding the nitrocellulose, even though it was dry. Upon opening the bag, they found that the substance had turned mushy with a strong chemical smell. They attempted to wash it with sodium bicarbonate, but the nitrocellulose completely dissolved before they could add the baking soda. It is unclear whether this was
spore collecter
I synthesized 5 grams of nitrocellulose from cotton balls. I stored it for a couple weeks with no problem. I feel as if I didn't neutralize it very well, but I did wash it with water very thouroughly and dried it. It was safe to touch and dried fine. I stored it in a plastic ziploc bag for two weeks and all was good. I made another 5 gram batch which washed out even more white and neutralized to the full extent. I added the batches together in the same bag for further use. After another two weeks I noticed the bag had a foggy condensation look, even though I know the substance was completely dry. My first instinct was to open the bag and leave it to evaporate. After about two weeks, I examined it again and I noticed everything was mushy with a strong chemical smell. I dumped it into water to wash it with sodium bicarbonate. Before I could add the baking soda, the nitrocellulose completely dissolved. Did I discover the decomposition of nitrocellulose? Or is there another factor in play here?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thread locked, pending possible moderation.

Sorry, we don't discuss synthesis of explosives.

Related to Decomposition of Nitrocellulose

1. What is nitrocellulose decomposition?

Nitrocellulose decomposition refers to the breakdown of nitrocellulose, a highly flammable compound used in the production of explosives, lacquers, and plastics. This process involves the release of heat, gases, and sometimes flames.

2. What causes nitrocellulose decomposition?

Nitrocellulose decomposition is triggered by heat, light, or friction. Exposure to these sources can cause the nitrocellulose to break down into smaller molecules, resulting in the release of energy and potentially igniting surrounding materials.

3. What are the potential hazards of nitrocellulose decomposition?

The main hazard of nitrocellulose decomposition is the release of flammable gases and heat, which can lead to fires or explosions. Inhaling the gases produced during decomposition can also be hazardous to health.

4. How can nitrocellulose decomposition be prevented?

To prevent nitrocellulose decomposition, it is important to store and handle the compound properly. This includes keeping it away from sources of heat, light, and friction, as well as storing it in a cool, dry place. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and handle the compound with care.

5. What are the factors that affect the rate of nitrocellulose decomposition?

The rate of nitrocellulose decomposition can be affected by several factors, including temperature, humidity, and the presence of impurities. Higher temperatures and humidity levels can accelerate the decomposition process, while impurities in the compound can act as catalysts, increasing the rate of decomposition.