Decreasing Order of Stability in unsaturated 6C Rings

In summary, the decreasing stability order of given I, II, III, IV is A) IV>I>II>III. This is due to the presence of exocyclic double bonds and hyperconjugation in the structures. Brown's hypothesis also supports this stability order.
AGNuke
Gold Member
Decreasing Stability order of given I, II, III, IV (in order)
cho2.png

A)IV>I>II>III
B)I>IV>III>II
C)I>II>IV>III
D)IV>II>I>III (My Answer)

Since the IV is most stable, only A and D answers are worth checking. They only differ by stability order of I and II.

Then I checked by determining their stability due to hyperconjugation. I has HC3 while II has HC4, hence my answer D. But the correct answer is A. Any suggestions, whether my answer or provided answer is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's A). Exocyclic double bonds are less stable than internal double bonds for 6-member rings but exocyclic double bonds are more stable than internal double bonds for 5-member rings.

Have you heard of Brown's Hypothesis?

Never heard of it. I doubt about this knowledge shared in 12th standard, even more so considering the standard of education I've been provided here. I would be grateful if you were to enlighten me briefly on how this hypothesis is established.

Still, as a last resort, I tried using my old habit of giving bluff explanation to support the answer (even if it isn't :-p) and drew out the structures possible in Hyperconjugation

For I
HC1.png

For II
HC2.png

Since I has 6 structure while II has 5 structures, I is more stable :biggrin: (I know I am talented :blushing:)

Brown's hypothesis simply states that exocyclic double bonds to six-member rings are more reactive than double bonds inside the ring and double bonds exocyclic to a five-member ring are more stable than those within the five-member ring. This is supported by reactivity data.

Both A and D could be considered correct, as the stability of unsaturated 6C rings can vary depending on the specific substituents attached to the ring. However, in general, A is the more commonly accepted answer as it follows the trend of stability decreasing as the number of double bonds increases. It is possible that the specific substituents in this scenario may have an effect on the stability order, leading to a different answer. It is important to consider all factors when determining the stability of a compound, and to be open to different interpretations and possibilities.

FAQ: Decreasing Order of Stability in unsaturated 6C Rings

1. How does decreasing ring size affect stability in unsaturated 6C rings?

The stability of unsaturated 6C rings decreases as the ring size decreases. This is because smaller rings have a higher degree of ring strain, causing them to be less stable.

2. What is the relationship between the number of double bonds and stability in unsaturated 6C rings?

Generally, the more double bonds in an unsaturated 6C ring, the less stable it is. This is because double bonds create a higher degree of strain in the ring structure.

3. Why do branched unsaturated 6C rings have lower stability compared to straight chains?

Branched unsaturated 6C rings have lower stability due to the increased steric hindrance caused by the branching. This leads to a higher degree of strain in the ring structure, making it less stable.

4. How does substitution affect stability in unsaturated 6C rings?

The type and position of substitutions on an unsaturated 6C ring can greatly affect its stability. Generally, electron-withdrawing groups decrease stability while electron-donating groups increase stability.

5. What is the main factor that determines the stability of unsaturated 6C rings?

The main factor that determines stability in unsaturated 6C rings is the degree of ring strain. This can be influenced by factors such as ring size, number of double bonds, and substitutions on the ring structure.