Decreasing standard of Science Channels.

In summary: They make a sequel.In summary, the author thinks that the quality of television has decreased in recent years, and that this is due in part to viewers' preference for shows with more visceral images and sounds. The author also notes that some good programming exists, but that it is overshadowed by syndicated programming.
But the people that take offense do take the bible literally.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
But the people that take offense do take the bible literally.

And that is what is causing the science-religion incompatibility.

I wonder if they weren't offended by his claims about the Moon and light so much as they were offended by his invoking the Bible.

In a sense, he's kind of doing the very thing we science-peeps always scream bloody murder about: mixing science and belief.

They may have been perfectly happy to follow his science lesson if he hadn't tried to tie it to the Bible, which they may well have interpreted as an attempt to discredit it. One wonders what, if not a shot at the bible, his intentions were in bringing it up.

DaveC426913 said:
I wonder if they weren't offended by his claims about the Moon and light so much as they were offended by his invoking the Bible.

In a sense, he's kind of doing the very thing we science-peeps always scream bloody murder about: mixing science and belief.

They may have been perfectly happy to follow his science lesson if he hadn't tried to tie it to the Bible, which they may well have interpreted as an attempt to discredit it. One wonders what, if not a shot at the bible, his intentions were in bringing it up.

I agree. It was unnecessary and, frankly, he should have known better.

(*ignoring bible discussion*)

I never enjoyed Bill Nye. I prefer serious documentaries (i.e. not targeted for children).

I really used to love Lonely Planet by Ian Wright on Discovery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDn-cDm3kUk&feature=relmfu, ), Animal documentaries on Discovery, and Cultural documentaries on Nat Geo.

Few of things I hate about current shows are that hosts come out as quite arrogant and self-experts (this is also the reason I don't like American movies).

Last edited by a moderator:
The great thing about watching Bill Nye in grade school was that you just had to fill in an easy worksheet on the video, and not do any real work. :-p

jhae2.718 said:
The great thing about watching Bill Nye in grade school was that you just had to fill in an easy worksheet on the video, and not do any real work. :-p

I also had to do that, it was a torture!

rootX said:
I also had to do that, it was a torture!

It beat doing vocabulary definitions, as if mindlessly copying down the glossary taught something...

I hated the stupid music videos in Bill Nye's show. And the stupid, stereotypical portrayal of scientists.

jhae2.718 said:
It beat doing vocabulary definitions, as if mindlessly copying down the glossary taught something...

I hated the stupid music videos in Bill Nye's show. And the stupid, stereotypical portrayal of scientists.

Well, it was on TV. What did you expect? Realistic portrayals? No one would watch it.

rootX said:
(*ignoring bible discussion*)

I never enjoyed Bill Nye. I prefer serious documentaries (i.e. not targeted for children).

I really used to love Lonely Planet by Ian Wright on Discovery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDn-cDm3kUk&feature=relmfu, ), Animal documentaries on Discovery, and Cultural documentaries on Nat Geo.

The only recent documentaries worthy of being watched would be the "Life" Series by BBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drakkith said:
Well, it was on TV. What did you expect? Realistic portrayals? No one would watch it.

Touché.

Drakkith said:
Well, it was on TV..
.. in the physics classes!

mishrashubham said:
The only recent documentaries worthy of being watched would be the "Life" Series by BBC.
BBC does a phenomenal job on everything. I don't have a TV but I love clips of many BBC documentaries.

I hate how science documentaries sensualize everything! I mean pointing out the epicness is something but to do it just for the money sucks, they actually show the Hutchinson effect as a real thing!

Bill Nye goes swing dancing almost every Thursday night in Pasadena. :)

Superposed_Cat said:
I hate how science documentaries sensualize everything! I mean pointing out the epicness is something but to do it just for the money sucks, they actually show the Hutchinson effect as a real thing!

I think you mean 'sensationalize'. If the sci channels 'sensualized' everything, there would be more nekkid people on these programs.

SteamKing said:
I think you mean 'sensationalize'. If the sci channels 'sensualized' everything, there would be more nekkid people on these programs.

Haven't you seen Naked and Afraid?

lol sleep dep, thanks you should see my math errors.

Back