Dedekind-Cantor Axiom: What's Needed & Why?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axiom
In summary: The least-upper-bound axiom says that for every bounded sequence of real numbers there is a real number that is the least upper bound for that sequence.
Werg22
I know that the Dedekind-Cantor axiom establishes an isomorphism between the points of any given (extended) Euclidean line. But why is the axiom needed anyway? Can't we define two binary operations on collinear points in Euclidean geometry such that the points of the line taken together with these two operations form a model of the real numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
The axiom of Dedekind is an axiom regarding the EXISTENCE of the points on any real line.
All we know form previous algebraic axioms is that 0 is a real numer (neutral element for addition) and that 1 is a real number (neutral element for product).
It is IMPORTANT that [tex]1 \not= 0[/tex] and this is in fact another axiom.
These axioms (together with other axioms on sum and products) lead to the existence of a countable multitude of numers in the real line. Namely [tex]\mathbb Q[/tex].
[tex]\mathbb Q[/tex] itself satisfy every axioms except the Dedekind axiom.
So if you don't insert another axiom you are implicitly assuming that [tex]\mathbb Q[/tex] is a satysfactory system for the real numbers.
That's why we require another axiom.

Ah I see. Are the least upper bound axiom and the Dedekind-Axiom essentially equivalent?

Werg22 said:
Ah I see. Are the least upper bound axiom and the Dedekind-Axiom essentially equivalent?

I am tempted to say "YES IT IS", but I don't know the least uper bound axiom.
What does it states?

If S is a set of real numbers, k is called an upper bound and is a real number if for every s in S s <= k (I'm sure you know this). An upper bound of S, j, is called the least upper bound of S if j <= k for all k's. The axiom states that every set of real numbers possesses a least upper bound. Q fails to satisfy this axiom; suffice to construct a a series composed of rational numbers but converging to an irrational number.

The Cantor-Dedekind axiom is not used in the construction of the real numbers. It's more like a metamathematical axiom which says that the "line" of geometry and the "real numbers" are pretty much the same thing. It's more along the lines of Cauchy's delta-epsilon definition of "continuity" and the Church-Turing thesis.

On the other hand, the least-upper-bound axiom is actually used (in standard analysis) to construct the reals from the rationals.

FAQ: Dedekind-Cantor Axiom: What's Needed & Why?

1. What is the Dedekind-Cantor Axiom?

The Dedekind-Cantor axiom, also known as the Dedekind cut axiom, is a fundamental principle in set theory that allows for the creation of infinite sets. It states that a set can be divided into two disjoint subsets, such that all elements in one subset are smaller than all elements in the other subset.

2. Who created the Dedekind-Cantor Axiom?

The Dedekind-Cantor axiom was first introduced by mathematician Richard Dedekind in the late 1800s. However, it was later refined and formalized by Georg Cantor in the early 1900s.

3. Why is the Dedekind-Cantor Axiom important?

The Dedekind-Cantor axiom is important because it provides a foundation for understanding infinite sets and their properties. It allows for the creation of various mathematical concepts, such as real numbers and cardinality, and has been used extensively in modern mathematics and physics.

4. What are the implications of the Dedekind-Cantor Axiom?

The Dedekind-Cantor axiom has several implications, including the existence of uncountably infinite sets, the ability to perform mathematical operations on infinite sets, and the creation of the real number system. It also has implications in the study of continuity and completeness in mathematical analysis.

5. Are there any criticisms of the Dedekind-Cantor Axiom?

While the Dedekind-Cantor axiom has been widely accepted and used in mathematics, there have been some criticisms of its validity. Some argue that the axiom is not intuitive and goes against our understanding of physical reality. Others believe that it is too abstract and relies on undefined concepts, making it difficult to fully comprehend and apply in certain situations.

Back