Deducing planetary properties from its calendar?

In summary, it is possible to arbitrarily write up the calendar based info (length of day, length of year, etc.) and deduce from this such things as size of the planet, distance from its sun, etc.
Spiralbound
I'm writing a story involving multiple sentient species, interstellar travel, and a long history of colonisation. My main character is a Human living on the planet "Tender", whose ancestors colonised it from the planet "Ardel" a few centuries ago.

Is it possible to arbitrarily write up the calendar based info (length of day, length of year, etc.) and deduce from this such things as size of the planet, distance from its sun, etc? For that matter, if all we know is the timekeeping details of a fictitious world, is that enough to deduce any other factors?

For reference, my tentative values are this:
Planet Tender has a 20 hour day and a 300 day year.
Planet Ardel has a 33 hour day and an 80 day year.

Assume a 60 minute hour in both cases.

If one can't deduce much from this, what extra information is needed? All the material I've found so far starts with the star's characteristics, and then working down to the details of its planets. I want to work in the opposite direction if possible so I can specify certain conditions (day length, gravity, etc.) and work out any matching info (star type, climate, planet size, etc.).

Physics news on Phys.org
Day length and year length don't tell you anything specific about the planet's size, nor the orbit. You'd think that the planet with the shorter year would be closer to its sun but orbital speed also depends on the mass of the objects. In this case Ardel could be further away from its sun but have a fast orbit because its sun masses more. Don't fret though, it won't be that hard for you to decide on figures for your systems that will fit with what you have so far.

I'd suggest watching this video, and other videos produced by artifexian. He's done some great, easily accessible guides on how to worldbuild planets.

If you get stuck with any of the maths you can always post here.

As an internet forum user, I would say that it is definitely possible to make educated guesses about a planet's size, distance from its sun, and other factors based on its timekeeping details. However, it may not be entirely accurate or scientifically sound. Timekeeping details such as day length and year length can give us some general information about a planet's rotational period and orbital period, but they do not necessarily correspond to specific values for size, distance, or other factors.

To make more accurate deductions, additional information would be needed. This could include the planet's gravity, atmospheric composition, and geological features. It would also be helpful to know the star's characteristics, such as its size, mass, and luminosity. With these details, it would be easier to determine the planet's size, distance, and other factors.

However, as a writer, you have the creative freedom to make your own choices about the planet and its characteristics. You can use your timekeeping details as a starting point and then fill in the rest of the details to fit your story. Just make sure to be consistent and logical in your world-building.

Overall, while it may not be possible to accurately deduce all the details about a planet based solely on its timekeeping details, it can still provide a good starting point for creating a believable and interesting world.

Related to Deducing planetary properties from its calendar?

1. How do scientists deduce planetary properties from its calendar?

Scientists use a variety of methods and data sources to deduce planetary properties from its calendar. These may include studying the length of a planet's year, its axial tilt, and the patterns of its seasons. They may also analyze the cultural and historical significance of certain dates and celebrations within the calendar.

2. Can the calendar of a planet reveal its distance from its star?

Yes, the length of a planet's year and the position of its solstices and equinoxes can provide clues about its distance from its star. This information, combined with other data such as the star's size and temperature, can help scientists estimate the planet's orbit and distance from its star.

3. How do scientists determine a planet's axial tilt from its calendar?

By observing the dates and positions of solstices and equinoxes within the calendar, scientists can deduce a planet's axial tilt. For example, if a planet's calendar shows that the sun is directly overhead on a certain date, this indicates that the planet has 0° axial tilt. If the sun is never directly overhead, this suggests that the planet has a significant axial tilt.

4. What other information can be gathered from a planet's calendar?

In addition to planetary properties such as axial tilt and distance from its star, a planet's calendar can also provide insights into its climate, geological features, and potential habitability. For example, certain dates or celebrations within the calendar may correspond with planetary events such as volcanic eruptions or seasonal changes.

5. How accurate are deductions made from a planet's calendar?

The accuracy of deductions made from a planet's calendar depends on the quality and variety of data available. In some cases, scientists may need to make educated guesses or assumptions based on limited information. However, advancements in technology and space exploration have greatly improved our ability to gather and analyze data, leading to more accurate deductions about planetary properties from their calendars.