Deducing that an element is constructable

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary: I see. So you're trying to use Galois theory to prove something about the algebraic structure of the group? That makes sense.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let c be a primitive 16th root of unity in the field of complex numbers. Show that c is a constructible number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I showed that c^2 is a primitive 8th root of unity and c^4 is a primitive 4th root of unity, so if I can show that one of these is constructible then I can use the fact that the square roots of constructible numbers are constructible to show that c is constructible. That being said, I am quite out of my area of knowing here, I don't have any clue how to go about showing any of these are constructible. Well, if 4 is a primitive 4th root of unity is constructible, that would mean that some kind of diamond is constructible in the complex plane? Am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you already have the connection between type and degree of extensions and constructible numbers? Or are you supposed to do this?

Likes PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
Do you already have the connection between type and degree of extensions and constructible numbers? Or are you supposed to do this?
I'm allowed to use the fact that every extension that has a degree that's NOT a power of 2 is NOT constructible. It's my understanding that if an extension has a degree that is a power of 2 that it is construnctible, but we are not allowed to use this. I think it has something to do using some geometry stuff, like showing that if some cos(2pi/something) is constructible then the 16-gon is constructible (I'm not sure I'm making complete sense).

PsychonautQQ said:
I'm allowed to use the fact that every extension that has a degree that's NOT a power of 2 is NOT constructible. It's my understanding that if an extension has a degree that is a power of 2 that it is construnctible, but we are not allowed to use this. I think it has something to do using some geometry stuff, like showing that if some cos(2pi/something) is constructible then the 16-gon is constructible (I'm not sure I'm making complete sense).
So you have
##[\mathbb{Q}:\mathbb{Q}(c)] \neq 2^n \Rightarrow c \text{ not constructible }## which is equivalent to ##c \text{ constructible } \Rightarrow [\mathbb{Q}:\mathbb{Q}(c)] = 2^n##.
(You should add the extension to be normal, too, simply for completeness.) Too bad, the other direction is what you needed.

Your idea to resolve the problem into steps by two is correct, because square roots are constructible as I think you may also use (or simply show). The fun part is, this apparently trivial sentence bears already the answer you need: consider the Galois group. What can you say about it? I've already written the key word here.

Likes PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
So you have
##[\mathbb{Q}:\mathbb{Q}(c)] \neq 2^n \Rightarrow c \text{ not constructible }## which is equivalent to ##c \text{ constructible } \Rightarrow [\mathbb{Q}:\mathbb{Q}(c)] = 2^n##.
(You should add the extension to be normal, too, simply for completeness.) Too bad, the other direction is what you needed.

Your idea to resolve the problem into steps by two is correct, because square roots are constructible as I think you may also use (or simply show). The fun part is, this apparently trivial sentence bears already the answer you need: consider the Galois group. What can you say about it? I've already written the key word here.

The Galois group is isomorphic to the group of units Z*_16, which I could break down into a direct product of cyclic groups since it is finite and abelian. I don't understand how looking at the Galois group is going to help me prove that c is constructible. Would looking at subgroups of the Galois group i.e. Gal(Q(c^2):Q) and Gal(Q(c^4):Q) be helpful? You said you already have written a key word huh? I must be pretty dense.

And yes, we can use the fact that square roots of a constructible number is constructible

Probably a silly question, but why can't you just show a construction that works?

Likes PsychonautQQ
How many elements does ##\mathbb{Z}_{16}^*## have? And, yes, it's finite and Abelian. What do we know about those groups? You overlooked the keyword I used, and what is even more important, disregarded the reason why this term once has been chosen:
solvable!
With that you only need to add the fundamental theorem of Galois theory and voilà: done (without drawing circles).

Likes PsychonautQQ
LCKurtz said:
Probably a silly question, but why can't you just show a construction that works?
Eh, I'm doing this in a Galois theory class so I'm trying to find an algebraic method of showing it's constructible

fresh_42 said:
How many elements does ##\mathbb{Z}_{16}^*## have? And, yes, it's finite and Abelian. What do we know about those groups? You overlooked the keyword I used, and what is even more important, disregarded the reason why this term once has been chosen:
solvable!
With that you only need to add the fundamental theorem of Galois theory and voilà: done (without drawing circles).
Ah, we're learning about solvability tomorrow actually :-) I'll get back to you on this haha.

PsychonautQQ said:
Eh, I'm doing this in a Galois theory class so I'm trying to find an algebraic method of showing it's constructible
That's what the algebraic method describes: Dividing something into two equal parts, and proceed until all ##16## are done.
And it was your initial idea:
PsychonautQQ said:
I showed that c^2 is a primitive 8th root of unity and c^4 is a primitive 4th root of unity...
Basically an induction (or recursion).

Likes PsychonautQQ
fresh_42 said:
That's what the algebraic method describes: Dividing something into two equal parts, and proceed until all ##16## are done.
And it was your initial idea:

Basically an induction (or recursion).

So should I show that c^8 is a second root of unity now? I'm still a bit confused on how this is going to show that c is constructible.

PsychonautQQ said:
So should I show that c^8 is a second root of unity now? I'm still a bit confused on how this is going to show that c is constructible.
If the concept of solvable groups and derived series is yet to come, then you might follow @LCKurtz advise and simply construct ##c##.
Draw the complex plane, a unit circle and start to cut the angles in halves. Begin with the full circle as your first.

This geometric process can also be done algebraically.

Related to Deducing that an element is constructable

1. How do you determine if an element is constructible?

To determine if an element is constructible, we must first understand its atomic structure. This includes the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in its nucleus, as well as its electron configuration. Once we have this information, we can use various scientific methods such as X-ray crystallography or spectroscopy to analyze the element's physical and chemical properties.

2. What are the key characteristics of a constructible element?

A constructible element must have a stable nucleus and a complete electron shell. This means that the element should have a balanced number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus, and the outermost electron shell should be filled with the maximum number of electrons it can hold. Additionally, the element should have a melting point and boiling point within a reasonable range for it to be manipulated and used in construction.

3. Can all elements be constructed?

No, not all elements can be constructed. This is because some elements have unstable nuclei, making them radioactive and unsuitable for use in construction. Additionally, some elements may have properties that make them too reactive or dangerous to handle in a construction setting. These elements are typically found in the halogen and noble gas groups of the periodic table.

4. How is the construction of an element useful in scientific research?

The ability to construct elements allows scientists to create and study new materials with unique properties. This can lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and energy. Additionally, understanding the construction of elements can provide insight into the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how different elements interact with each other.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the construction of elements?

While the construction of elements has many benefits, there are also ethical concerns to consider. The creation of new elements can be very costly and require a lot of resources, which may not be justifiable when there are existing elements that can serve the same purpose. There are also concerns about the potential environmental and health impacts of creating and manipulating new elements, as well as the potential for these elements to be used for destructive purposes.