Define the Ampere: Force/Length = 2*10-7N/m

• Thread starter pat666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ampere
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force on two parallel wires carrying a current in the same direction, separated by a distance d. The force per unit length of wire is given by the equation uoI^2/2pi*d and the direction of the force is indicated on the diagram. The definition of the ampere is also discussed, with a current of 1A defined as producing a force of 2*10^-7N on two parallel wires 1m apart. The solution to the problem involves setting the current to 1A to eliminate the term I^2.
pat666

Homework Statement

Two very long, thin, straight, parallel wires each carrying a current I in the same direction are separated by a distance, d. With the aid of a diagram which indicates the current directions, account for the force on each wire and show on the diagram the direction of one of the forces. Write an expression for the magnitude of the force per unit length of wire and hence define the ampere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

did necessary steps to get to force/length=uoI2/2pi*d
then at 1m separation F=2*10-7I2
From text: "if two long parallel wires 1m apart carry equal currents and experience a force of of 2*10-7N then the current is defined to be 1Ampere"
I think I am pretty close to the answer but I have a force of 2*10-7I2 -how do I get rid of the I2?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are defining the Ampere, so I= 1 A.

thanks I thought it would be something simple like that...

FAQ: Define the Ampere: Force/Length = 2*10-7N/m

1. What is the definition of Ampere?

The Ampere is the SI unit of electrical current, defined as the flow of one Coulomb of charge per second.

2. How is Ampere related to Force and Length?

In the context of electromagnetism, the Ampere is defined as the force per unit length between two parallel conductors carrying a constant current that produces a magnetic field of 2*10^-7N/m.

3. What is the value of the Ampere in other unit systems?

In the CGS system, the Ampere is defined as the current that produces a force of 2*10^-5 dynes per centimeter between two parallel conductors. In the MKS system, the Ampere is equivalent to 0.1 units of the SI base unit for current, the Ampere.

4. How is the Ampere used in everyday life?

The Ampere is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as electrical circuits, power generation and distribution, and electronic devices. It is also used in measuring the strength of electric currents and in the development of new technologies.

5. Are there any other units related to the Ampere?

Yes, there are several other units that are related to the Ampere, such as the Coulomb, which is a unit of electric charge, and the Ohm, which is a unit of electrical resistance. These units are often used together in electrical calculations and formulas.