Defining Velocity, Momentum, and Energy in Minkowski Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of velocity, momentum, and energy in the Minkowski space using geometric arguments and the Lorentz transformation. Different methods of defining these quantities are suggested, with a focus on finding a geometric demonstration for the three-dimensional velocity. The relationship between 3-vectors and 4-vectors is also mentioned.
fcsc
I'm not completely sure were this post must be (math or here).

But i got a question, I want to define velocity, momentum and energy. These looks like a simple task but let me explain the problem.

I'm working in the Minkowski space, and the lorentz transformations (just geometrical one's) and i can only use geometrical arguments.

For example, if we got a lorentz transformation, we could define the velocity of the frame of reference (respect one that is quite, like a lab) as

u_i = -delta_i^4/delta_4^4

where delta^j_i is the (j,i) coeficient of the lorentz transformation.

(Extract from The Geometry of Minkowski spacetime. Naber. Springer-Verlag)

I'm completely sure these work it could be found at wikipedia (some time ago i found it there) but i don't know why i can't find it now.

If somebody could help me I will be very pleased, if you only read this thanks anyway.
(sorry if my english is not good enough)

Physics news on Phys.org
fcsc said:
I'm not completely sure were this post must be (math or here).

But i got a question, I want to define velocity, momentum and energy. These looks like a simple task but let me explain the problem.

I'm working in the Minkowski space, and the lorentz transformations (just geometrical one's) and i can only use geometrical arguments.

For example, if we got a lorentz transformation, we could define the velocity of the frame of reference (respect one that is quite, like a lab) as

(Extract from The Geometry of Minkowski spacetime. Naber. Springer-Verlag)

I'm completely sure these work it could be found at wikipedia (some time ago i found it there) but i don't know why i can't find it now.

If somebody could help me I will be very pleased, if you only read this thanks anyway.
(sorry if my english is not good enough)
The four-velocity is easy, it is just the unit tangent to the particle's worldline. To get from the four-velocity to the four-momentum (which contains energy) all you have to do is multiply by the (proper) rest mass. But I don't know any geometric argument for doing that.

I assume you need those properies without reference to coordinate systems.
If P is the relevant four-momentum, and U is an observer's four-velocity, PU is the Energy, P-(PU)U is the momentum.
If V is the particles four-velocity, its ordinary velocity relative to the observer is V/(VU)-U.
I made this up right now, so it may be wrong.

Welcome to PF!

fcsc said:

Hi fcsc ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You're asking for a geometrical demonstration that the three-dimensional velocity (u1, u2, u3) is (∆14, ∆24, ∆34)/∆44.

Will you accept a matrix demonstration?

Any observer, at time t on his own clock, has 4-position (0,0,0,t) in his own frame, which is (0,0,0,t) in the other frame, which is t(∆14, ∆24, ∆34, ∆44).

44 is the time dilation, so when the other observer's clocks says t/∆44, the 4-position is t(∆14, ∆24, ∆34, ∆44)/∆44.

So the 3-position is (∆14, ∆24, ∆34)(t/∆44) at time t/∆44.

So the 3-velocity is (∆14, ∆24, ∆34)/∆44 :smile:

Thanks everybody for these quick answer,

tiny-tim, is these demostration the one I'm looking for, would you have an idea in how to find the energy and momentum.

Dale and Ich, you had been helpful too but I'm looking for 3-vectors.

fcsc said:
Thanks everybody for these quick answer,

tiny-tim, is these demostration the one I'm looking for, would you have an idea in how to find the energy and momentum.

Hi fcsc ! :smile:

The 3-momentum is mass times 3-velocity.

The mass is m times ∆44.

So the 3-momentum is very simple: (p1, p2, p3) = m(∆14, ∆24, ∆34). :smile:

The 3-energy is more complicated. :frown:

You see, the 3-momentum is exactly the first three components of the 4-momentum … which is what you'd expect!

But the 3-energy isn't exactly related to the 4-energy … it's only an approximation.

The 4-energy is mc²∆44, which is mc²/√(1 - v²/c²).

And mc²/√(1 - v²/c²) is approximately mc² + 1/2mv².

So the 3-energy, 1/2mv², is approximately the 4-energy minus mc², = mc²(∆44 - 1). :smile:

I'm talking about 3-vectors, too. But in order to define those, you have to start somewhere. If if this somwhere is Minkowski space, you start with 4-vectors (directly representing physical quantities) and construct 3-vectors from them.That's what I did.

Ich said:
I assume you need those properies without reference to coordinate systems.
If P is the relevant four-momentum, and U is an observer's four-velocity, PU is the Energy, P-(PU)U is the momentum.
If V is the particles four-velocity, its ordinary velocity relative to the observer is V/(VU)-U.
I made this up right now, so it may be wrong.

I'm completely agree with your point Ich, i know you speak about 3-vectors i don't explain weel myself, my problem is that i don't have U, or PU because these is what i need to define from [tex]\Delta_{ij}[/tex].

Thank you to everybody, these forum is just great ;)

Related to Defining Velocity, Momentum, and Energy in Minkowski Space

What is Minkowski Space?

Minkowski space is a mathematical concept that describes the geometry of space and time in special relativity. It is a four-dimensional manifold that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time.

How is Minkowski Space different from Euclidean Space?

Minkowski space differs from Euclidean space in that it includes the dimension of time and uses a different metric, called the Minkowski metric. This means that distances and angles in Minkowski space are measured differently than in Euclidean space.

What is the significance of Minkowski Space in physics?

Minkowski space is essential in the mathematical formulation of special relativity, which is a fundamental theory in modern physics. It allows us to describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and understand concepts such as time dilation and length contraction.

How is Minkowski Space visualized?

Minkowski space is often visualized using a diagram known as the Minkowski diagram, which represents the four dimensions of space and time as axes on a two-dimensional plane. This diagram allows us to visualize the effects of special relativity on objects in motion.

What are some applications of Minkowski Space?

Minkowski space has applications in various fields of physics, including particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. It is also used in engineering for problems involving high-speed motion and in computer graphics for creating visual effects in movies and video games.