Definite integrals: solving with residue theory and contour integration

In summary, the integral can be solved using the upper/lower infinite semi-circle contour method with a pole at x=0.
eschiesser

Homework Statement

I need to solve this integral for a>0:

[itex]\int _0^{\infty }\frac{\text{Sin}[x]}{x}\frac{1}{x^2+a^2}dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using wolfram mathematica, I get that this integral is:

[itex]\frac{\pi -e^{-x} \pi }{2x^2}=\frac{\pi (1-\text{Cosh}[a]+\text{Sinh}[a])}{2 a^2}[/itex]

I cannot get to this result. I have tried to split the sine into exponentials, and use the upper/lower infinite semi-circle contours, which results in

[itex]I =\frac{\pi }{2} \text{Res}\left[\frac{ e^{-i x}}{x}\frac{1}{x^2+a^2},\left\{x,a e^{i \frac{3\pi }{2}}\right\}\right]-\frac{\pi }{2} \text{Res}\left[\frac{ e^{i x}}{x}\frac{1}{x^2+a^2},\left\{x,a e^{i \frac{\pi }{2}}\right\}\right]=\frac{\pi \text{Sinh}[a]}{2 a^2}[/itex]

I also tried to add a branch point and solve with that method but then I get the same answer...

Does the "removable singularity" at z=0 have something to do with this? Please steer me in the right direction!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you split sine into exponentials and then split the integrals, then each integral has a pole at x=0 as well.

But then, isn't my contour running over the pole in each integral?

eschiesser said:
But then, isn't my contour running over the pole in each integral?

Tell you what, how about you forget that problem for now and just try and solve:

[tex]\oint \frac{e^{iz}}{z}\frac{1}{z^2+a^2} dz[/tex]

where the contour is the upper half-disc with an indentation around the pole at the origin. Take the limit as the radius of the indentation goes to zero and let the radius of the large arc go to infinity. Then you have:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)dx+\lim_{\rho\to 0}\int_{\pi}^0 f(z)dz+\lim_{R\to\infty}\mathop\int_{\text{half-arc}} f(z)dz=2\pi i r[/tex]

Won't that work? See if it does. I don't know for sure.

Related to Definite integrals: solving with residue theory and contour integration

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve between two specific points on the curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a specific interval.

What is residue theory?

Residue theory is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals involving complex functions. It involves finding the residues, or values at singularities, of a function and using them to calculate the integral.

How is contour integration used in solving definite integrals?

Contour integration is a method of evaluating complex integrals by integrating along a specific path or contour in the complex plane. It is often used in conjunction with residue theory to solve definite integrals involving complex functions.

What are singularities in the context of residue theory?

Singularities are points on a complex function where the function is undefined or has a discontinuity. They can be poles, essential singularities, or branch points, and they play a crucial role in the application of residue theory to solve definite integrals.

What are some common applications of residue theory and contour integration?

Residue theory and contour integration are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, including electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the evaluation of certain types of integrals in mathematics and in the analysis of complex systems in economics and finance.