Definite integrals with -infinity low bound

In summary, the given equations represent indefinite integrals with a lower bound of negative infinity. When evaluating, you would take the limit as the lower bound approaches negative infinity and then subtract the limit of the function at the lower bound from the function at the upper bound. This is defined as the limit of the integral from the lower bound to the upper bound. In the engineering context, this may be a simplified representation and may not always hold true for all functions.
Salt
I see equations of the form,

[itex]y=\int_{-\infty }^{t}{F\left( x \right)}dx[/itex]

a lot in my texts.

What exactly does it mean? From the looks of it, it just means there is effectively no lower bounds.

I looked up improper integrals, but I can't say I really understand what is going on.

So when evaluating,

If [itex]\frac{d\left( f\left( x \right) \right)}{dx}=F\left( X \right)[/itex]

Do I just take the lower bound term - that I have to subtract - to be the f(x) as x approaches -infinity? Do I set the lower bound term to 0?

[itex]y=\int_{-\infty }^{t}{F\left( x \right)}dx\; =\; f\left( t \right)-0=f\left( t \right)[/itex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's defined this way:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^t F(x) dx = \lim_{a \rightarrow -\infty} \int_{a}^{t} F(x) dx[/tex]

and you would evaluate it as follows:

[tex]y = \int_{-\infty}^t F(x) dx = \lim_{a \rightarrow -\infty} \int_{a}^{t} F(x) dx = f(t) - \lim_{a \rightarrow -\infty} f(a)[/tex]

OK I just saw this in my text (paraphrasing),

[itex]y\left( t \right)=\int_{-\infty }^{t}{x\left( \tau \right)}d\tau [/itex]

therefore

[itex]x\left( t \right)=\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]​

So [itex]y\left( t \right)=\int_{-\infty }^{t}{x\left( \tau \right)}d\tau [/itex] is just like a non-definite integral?

[itex]y\left( t \right)=\int_{-\infty }^{t}{x\left( \tau \right)}d\tau =\; \int_{}^{}{x\left( t \right)dt}[/itex] ?

BTW I'm studying an engineering text, so maybe it's "shortcuted" somehow.

I think it's pretty easily provable that in order for a definite integral with a lower bound at -infinity to exist, the function being integrated needs to tend to zero as the variable being integrated tends to -infinity. (Note that it doesn't work the other way! Try -1/x for proof!) So the derivative of the integral would be just the integrand, assuming that the integrand satisfies the conditions.

Related to Definite integrals with -infinity low bound

What is a definite integral with -infinity low bound?

A definite integral with -infinity low bound is a type of integral in calculus where the lower limit of integration is negative infinity. This means that the integration starts from negative infinity and goes up to a specific upper limit.

How is a definite integral with -infinity low bound calculated?

A definite integral with -infinity low bound is calculated using the same method as a regular definite integral. The only difference is that the lower limit is -infinity, which can be represented as a limit as the lower limit approaches -infinity. This is known as an improper integral.

What is the significance of a -infinity low bound in definite integrals?

A -infinity low bound in definite integrals is used to represent an unbounded region or an infinite interval. It is often used in mathematical models to represent real-world situations where the lower limit of integration is not known or is infinite.

What are some real-world applications of definite integrals with -infinity low bound?

Definite integrals with -infinity low bound have various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. For example, they can be used to calculate the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, the work done by a variable force, or the total cost of a production process with an infinite number of inputs.

Can definite integrals with -infinity low bound have a finite value?

Yes, definite integrals with -infinity low bound can have a finite value as long as the function being integrated is well-behaved and the upper limit of integration is finite. In this case, the lower limit of -infinity represents an approximation of the actual lower limit, which is a very large negative number but not truly infinite.