Definition of a circle in point set topology.

In summary: The circle seems to be of great importance in topology where it forms the basis for many other surfaces (the cylinder ##\mathbb{R}\times S^1##, torus ##S^1 \times S^1## etc.). But how does one define the circle in point set topology? Is it any set homeomorphic to the set ##\left\{(x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2: x^2 + y^2 = 1\right\}##?In summary, the circle is a fundamental object in topology that serves as the basis for many other surfaces. It can be defined as any set that is homeomorphic to the set of points in the plane that satisfy the equation x
I guess I could rephrase my question as: Can one define the circle, as a manifold, as the unit interval with points identified? In that case what charts should one use to specify it's differential structure?

No. The unit interval with its points identified does not define a manifold because it does not provide coordinate charts. You need to show that it can be given the structure of a manifold

Physics news on Phys.org
BTW: The unit interval with end points identified is an example of a structure called a CW complex. A homeomorphism from this space to a circle shows that a circle is a CW complex.

lavinia said:
No. The unit interval with its points identified does not define a manifold because it does not provide coordinate charts. You need to show that it can be given the structure of a manifold

Alright. But you can provide charts for it, can't you? I.e. one can give it a differential structure. How would that be done?

Let U1 = (0,1) and U2 = [0,1/2)∪(1/2,1]. Let φ1 = id and φ2|[0,1/2) = id and φ2|(1/2,1] = 1-id. Under the 0~1 identification these descend to a pair of charts on the circle.

Last edited: