Definition of determinant for 2x2 matrix

The "1 by 1 matrix" that remains is c so$$\det \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix} = ad - bc$$In summary, for a 2x2 matrix, the general definition of the determinant does not hold. The minor, M_{i,j}, is computed by taking the determinant of the matrix after removing the "ith row" and "jth column". In the case of a 2x2 matrix, the determinant is defined as ad - bc.
MathewsMD
For a 2x2 matrix, does the general definition hold?
c131bc216fed2b3333b639a10cfb7d18.png

If so, how exactly is the minor ## M_{i,j} ## computed in this case? If A is a 2x2 matrix, is det(A) only defined as ad - bc?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:

If so, how exactly is the minor ## M_{i,j} ## computed in this case? If A is a 2x2 matrix, is det(A) only defined as ad - bc?
The minor in this case is 1 x 1 matrix determinant. IOW, the number that isn't in row i, column j.

$$\det \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix} = ad - bc$$

MathewsMD said:

No, that definition does not hold for any matrix because the determinant is a number where, as you have it, it is a function of "i".
What you should have is a specific number in place of "i". Typically it is "1" but any number from 1 to n would do.

In the case of a 2 by 2 matrix, n= 2 so, with your "i" replaced by "1", [itex]\sum_{j= 1}^N (-1)^{1+ j}a_{1j}M_{1j}[/itex] is [itex](-1)^{1+ 1}a_{11}a_{22}+ (-1)^{1+ 2}a_{12}a_{21}= a_{11}a_{22}- a_{12}a_{21}[/itex]. In the case that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} \\ a_{21} & a_{22}\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
that would be ad- bc.

Notice that if we replaced "1" above by "2" we would have [itex]\sum_{j= 1}^N (-1)^{2+ j}a_{2j}M_{2j}[/itex] is [itex](-1)^{2+ 1}a_{21}a_{12}+ (-1)^{2+ 2}a_{22}a_{11}= -a_{12}a_{21}+ a_{11}a_{22}[/itex] the same as before.

The "minor", [itex]M_{ij}[/itex] is, by definition, the determinant of the matrix you have after removing the "ith row" and "jth column". In the case that
[tex]A= \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[itex]a_{11}= a[/itex] and [itex]M_{11}= a_{22}= d[/itex] since we remove the first row, [itex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b\end{bmatrix}[/itex] and first column, [itex]\begin{bmatrix}a \\ c \end{bmatrix}[/itex] we are left with the "1 by 1 matrix", d.
Similarly, [itex]a_{12}= b[/itex] and [itex]M_{12}= a_{21}= c[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dextercioby and MathewsMD

FAQ: Definition of determinant for 2x2 matrix

What is the definition of a determinant for a 2x2 matrix?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix is a real number that represents the scaling factor of the linear transformation described by the matrix. It is denoted by the symbol "|A|" or det(A).

How is the determinant calculated for a 2x2 matrix?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix is calculated by taking the product of the elements on the main diagonal (top left to bottom right) and subtracting the product of the elements on the other diagonal (top right to bottom left). In other words, det(A) = ad - bc for a matrix A = [a b; c d].

What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant plays an important role in linear algebra because it can be used to determine if a linear transformation has an inverse and if the transformation preserves areas and volumes. It is also used to solve systems of linear equations and to calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Can the determinant of a 2x2 matrix ever be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 2x2 matrix can be negative if the elements on the main diagonal have a negative product and the elements on the other diagonal have a positive product. This indicates that the linear transformation described by the matrix includes a reflection.

Is the determinant of a 2x2 matrix affected by row operations?

Yes, the determinant of a 2x2 matrix is affected by row operations. Specifically, multiplying a row by a constant will also multiply the determinant by that constant, and swapping two rows will change the sign of the determinant. However, adding one row to another will not affect the determinant.

Back