Definition of dx: What is its Domain & Formalization?

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation of differential forms and their relation to basis vectors in a tangent space. The symbol dx is a linear function from the tangent space to the real numbers, and is defined with respect to a particular basis for the tangent space. Each differential form corresponds to a specific basis vector and is referred to as its 'dual'.
brunoschiavo

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/goozE9f

Homework Equations

##(dx_i)_p i= 1,2,3##

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I'm reading Manfredo and Do Carmo's Differential Forms and Applications. This is the very first page

Would you mind explaining me what is meant by dx, as highlighted in the picture? I guess it is "differential", like in Calculus textbooks, but what kind of mathematical object is it? A set, a line, a point? What is its domain? How is it formalized?

Instances of
png.png
compose the space's basis. Are they arbitrary, or should they be selected in some way?PS: Is there any way to post the image here without uploading it to your server?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums Bruno.

That text explains it in rather a confusing fashion.

Using the notation of the text, ##(dx_i)_p## is a linear function from the tangent space ##\mathbb{R}_p^3## to ##\mathbb{R}##. Its value is given by its action on basis vectors of that tangent space:

##(dx_i)_p \big((\vec{e}_j)_p\big)=\delta_{ij}## where ##\delta_{ij}## is the Kronecker Delta, which is 0 unless ##i=j##, in which case it is 1.

Note that, under this notation, ##(dx_i)_p## is defined with respect to a basis ##\{(\vec{e}_1)_p,(\vec{e}_2)_p,(\vec{e}_3)_p\}## for the tangent space. Each differential form ##(dx_i)_p## corresponds to a particular basis vector ##(\vec{e}_1)_p## and is called its 'dual'.

To post an image, you can just copy the image on your computer and paste it into the editing area with ctrl-V.

Likes brunoschiavo

Related to Definition of dx: What is its Domain & Formalization?

1. What is the definition of dx?

The notation "dx" is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent an infinitesimal change in the independent variable of a function. In other words, it represents a small change in the value of x. This notation is often used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to help with calculations and problem solving.

2. What is the domain of dx?

The domain of dx is the set of all possible values that x can take on in the given function. In other words, it represents the range of values that the independent variable can have. The domain is an essential aspect of any mathematical function and must be defined in order for the function to be well-defined.

3. How is dx formally defined?

In formal mathematical notation, dx is defined as an infinitesimal change in the independent variable x in a function. This can be written as dx = lim Δx→0 Δx, where Δx represents a small change in x. This definition is often used in calculus to represent the derivative of a function with respect to x.

4. What is the purpose of using dx in mathematics?

The use of dx in mathematics serves multiple purposes. It can be used to represent an infinitesimal change in a function, to calculate derivatives, and to define the domain of a function. It is a useful notation that helps simplify mathematical expressions and make calculations more efficient.

5. Can dx have different meanings in different contexts?

Yes, the notation dx can have different meanings depending on the context in which it is used. In calculus, it represents an infinitesimal change in x, while in physics it can represent a small displacement in space. It is important to understand the context in which dx is being used in order to properly interpret its meaning.