Definition of Image of a linear transformation

In summary: The image of a linear transformation ##T## defined by ##T:V\rightarrow W## is the set of all vectors which are the result of the linear map ##T## applied on any vector in ##V##. Which means ##\textrm{Im}(T)## is a subset of ##W##, not of ##V##. In this sense, the last definition:I saw a reference book that said 'the image of a linear transformation f : V → W is the set of vectors the linear transformation maps to.'is the correct one.Homework StatementThe image of a linear transformation is the set of vectors in Y such that some vector in X is mapped to it.
says

Homework Statement

The image of a linear transformation = columnspace of the matrix associated to the linear transformation.
More specifically though, given the transformation from Rn to Rm: from subspace X to subspace Y, the image of a linear transformation is equal to the set of vectors in X that are mapped to Y. This may or may not be equal to the all of the vectors in subspace X and subspace Y.

I was going to say, the Im(T) = all of the vectors in X that are mapped to Y, but the definition sounds a bit 'muddier', but I'm not entirely sure. Hence my post.

I usually draw a picture like this: http://thejuniverse.org/PUBLIC/LinearAlgebra/MATH-232/Unit.8/Presentation.1/Section7B/image.png to go with my definition, but I wanted to check.

I saw a reference book that said 'the image of a linear transformation f : V → W is the set of vectors the linear transformation maps to.'

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The image of a linear transformation ##T## defined by ##T:V\rightarrow W## is the set of all vectors which are the result of the linear map ##T## applied on any vector in ##V##. Which means ##\textrm{Im}(T)## is a subset of ##W##, not of ##V##. In this sense, the last definition:
says said:
I saw a reference book that said 'the image of a linear transformation f : V → W is the set of vectors the linear transformation maps to.'
is the correct one.

says said:

Homework Statement

The image of a linear transformation = columnspace of the matrix associated to the linear transformation.
More specifically though, given the transformation from Rn to Rm: from subspace X to subspace Y, the image of a linear transformation is equal to the set of vectors in X that are mapped to Y.
No! The "image of a linear transformation" is set of vectors in Y such that some vector in X is mapped to it. Taking the linear transformation to be "T", the image is "all y in Y such that there exist x in X such that Tx= y."

This may or may not be equal to the all of the vectors in subspace X and subspace Y.
The image is a subset (actually subspace) of Y, not X. It may or may not be all of Y.

I was going to say, the Im(T) = all of the vectors in X that are mapped to Y, but the definition sounds a bit 'muddier', but I'm not entirely sure. Hence my post.
Again, no, no, no! Im(T) = all vectors in Y that vectors in X are mapped to it.

I usually draw a picture like this

The pink area in your picture is the image.

Yes, that is correct, NOT what you said!
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Related to Definition of Image of a linear transformation

1. What is the definition of image of a linear transformation?

The image of a linear transformation is the set of all possible outputs that can be obtained by applying the transformation to every element in the domain. In other words, it is the range of the transformation.

2. How is the image of a linear transformation different from the domain?

The domain of a linear transformation is the set of all possible inputs, while the image is the set of all possible outputs. The domain and image are related, as the transformation maps elements from the domain to the image.

3. Can the image of a linear transformation be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the image of a linear transformation to be empty. This would occur when the transformation maps all elements in the domain to the zero vector, resulting in an empty set as the image.

4. How can the image of a linear transformation be visualized?

The image of a linear transformation can be visualized by plotting the transformation on a graph. The image will be the set of all points that are generated by the transformation on the graph.

5. Is the image of a linear transformation always a subset of the codomain?

Yes, the image of a linear transformation is always a subset of the codomain. This is because the codomain is the set of all possible outputs, and the image is a subset of those possible outputs that are actually obtained through the transformation.