Definition of Life: Beyond Organic Matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of life and whether it is limited to only organic beings or if other forms of life, such as energy-based beings, could exist. The possibility of life on other planets and NASA's search for it is also mentioned. The participants agree that it is important to keep an open mind about the potential diversity of life forms.
nymph
I really don't know if this is the right forum to ask this but let me try..

Why everybody tends to think of life as something organic in composition ? For example, NASA sends the Mars rovers in search of water which is essential for an organic life form.

If the simple definition for a life form is..
1)Can Grow
2)Will Respond to stimuli
3)Can Reproduce

then we don't neccesarily have to equate life to a organism made of carbon and hydrogen. Why don't we think of a possibility of a life form that exist in some distant part of our galaxy that isn't made of organic material.

It could be even matterless being entirely a form of energy that shows the characteristics of life and doesn't have to be visible.

I know this idea is bizarre...but I tend to think why not?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Walk before you run. Search for life forms you recognize before searching for those you don't.

Play the odds. We know our kind of life is a possibility. We don't know if other kinds are.

But, otherwise, yes, I think everyone agrees that it's good to keep our minds open to other possibilities.

FAQ: Definition of Life: Beyond Organic Matter

1. What is the current scientific definition of life?

The current scientific definition of life is an organism that has the ability to grow, reproduce, maintain homeostasis, respond to stimuli, and adapt to its environment.

2. Can life exist beyond organic matter?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that life can exist beyond organic matter. However, some scientists are exploring the possibility of non-carbon based life forms.

3. What are the characteristics of living organisms?

The characteristics of living organisms include the ability to metabolize energy, maintain homeostasis, respond to stimuli, grow and develop, and reproduce.

4. How do scientists determine if something is alive?

Scientists use the characteristics of living organisms, such as metabolism and reproduction, to determine if something is alive. They also look for evidence of organization and response to stimuli.

5. Is it possible for something to exhibit some characteristics of life but not others?

Yes, it is possible for something to exhibit some characteristics of life but not others. For example, viruses can reproduce and respond to stimuli, but they do not have the ability to maintain homeostasis or metabolize energy on their own.