Deflection and slope of a beam, homework question

In summary, the conversation is about someone struggling with a question that requires finding the deflection and slope at a specific point on a beam. They have attempted the problem using singularity and moment-area methods, but have not been successful. The question does not allow for the use of a calculator, making the calculations more difficult. The expert suggests finding the reactions at the supports and constructing shear force and bending moment diagrams as a helpful step in solving the problem.
manutd@13
I don't get how to solve this problem in the simplest form...
I would appreciate your help
thanks!

I have had some attempts at the question but the question is supposed to be non-calculator-use, so the method should rather be simple, and I couldn't come up with any sort of neat way to solve the problem
1. Homework Statement

the question is to get the deflection and slope at the point 'D', for the EI you can just state them in the calculation as EI

for the reactions R.b=160KN, R.e=20KN upwards were found after the calculation of momentum equilibrium equation.

Homework Equations

no specific equation for the deflection, you can use whatever the method you want to use

The Attempt at a Solution

I've had attempt at the question using the singularity method and moment-area method,
but failed to get the answer.
question.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
manutd@13 said:
I don't get how to solve this problem in the simplest form...
I would appreciate your help
thanks!

I have had some attempts at the question but the question is supposed to be non-calculator-use, so the method should rather be simple, and I couldn't come up with any sort of neat way to solve the problem
1. Homework Statement

the question is to get the deflection and slope at the point 'D', for the EI you can just state them in the calculation as EI

Homework Equations

no specific equation for the deflection, you can use whatever the method you want to use

The Attempt at a Solution

I've had attempt at the question using the singularity method and moment-area method,
but failed to get the answer.View attachment 94018
I'm not sure about solving this problem without a calculator, but first, you'll need to find the reactions at the supports. Have you done this already?

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure about solving this problem without a calculator, but first, you'll need to find the reactions at the supports. Have you done this already?

ah yes! R.b=160KN, R.e=20KN it is, sorry forgot to include that in the post, i will do so right now

manutd@13 said:
ah yes! R.b=160KN, R.e=20KN it is, sorry forgot to include that in the post, i will do so right now
Once you know the reactions on this beam, you should be able to draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams.

SteamKing said:
Once you know the reactions on this beam, you should be able to draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams.

yes but i found out that the numbers are to complicated using the moment-area method, so i thought it was inappropriate as the question is non-calculator-use

manutd@13 said:
yes but i found out that the numbers are to complicated using the moment-area method, so i thought it was inappropriate as the question is non-calculation-use
Still, constructing the shear force and bending moment diagrams are useful. Humor me.

Related to Deflection and slope of a beam, homework question

1. What is the definition of deflection and slope of a beam?

Deflection refers to the amount of bending or displacement that a beam experiences when a load is applied. Slope, on the other hand, refers to the angle of deflection at a specific point along the beam's length.

2. What factors affect the deflection and slope of a beam?

The deflection and slope of a beam are affected by several factors, including the beam's material properties, its length, the type and magnitude of the applied load, and the support conditions at either end of the beam.

3. How do you calculate the deflection and slope of a beam?

The deflection and slope of a beam can be calculated using various equations and formulas, depending on the type of beam, the applied load, and the support conditions. The most commonly used method is the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which utilizes differential equations to calculate the deflection and slope at different points along the beam's length.

4. Why is it important to consider deflection and slope in beam design?

Deflection and slope are important considerations in beam design because they directly affect the structural integrity and stability of the beam. Excessive deflection or slope can lead to structural failure and compromise the safety of the structure.

5. What are some common methods for reducing deflection and slope in beams?

To reduce deflection and slope in beams, engineers often use methods such as increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, changing the beam's material to one with higher stiffness, adding additional supports, or redistributing the load more evenly along the beam's length. These methods can help to improve the overall structural performance of the beam.