Deflection of light around a neutron star

In summary, the deflection of light around a neutron star causes us to be able to see part of the far hemisphere if the neutron star is bright enough to see with a telescope. The minimum latitude above which the far side could be seen can be estimated by considering null geodesics in the Schwarzschild metric. Alternatively, the deflection of light around the neutron star could be approximated by the deflection of light around the Sun.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

If a neutron star were bright enough to see its surface with a telescope, we'd be able to see not just the hemisphere facing toward us but also part of the far hemisphere. Explain why and estimate the latitude above which the far side could be seen.

Homework Equations

Deflection of light due to gravity
Schwarzschild metric

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have some understanding of why this occurs - it's just a result of the deflection of light around the neutron star (reflected light on the far hemisphere is deflected around the side of the neutron star, if I'm thinking about this correctly). But what I'm having trouble with is the estimate. In the Schwarzschild geometry, we're dealing with a static, spherical star -- so why the minimum latitude? Shouldn't the light be deflected evenly around the neutron star, regardless of latitude?

And how could I come up with an estimate? I'm a bit perplexed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem may be talking about looking "down" at a neutron star from its north pole. So when it asks about latitude, it's just asking you how far into the far hemisphere you'd be able to see (in terms of an angle).

As for actually doing the problem, I'd think about null geodesics in the Schwarzschild metric. Specifically, think about a light ray that you, a distant observer, would perceive as being at the very edge of the star's image, and imagine "tracing" it back to its source. That might give you some idea about where to start with the math.

Then again, it only says to come up with an estimate, not necessarily an actual solution, so maybe you could find some sort of calculation that would be almost equivalent but much easier? Maybe like the deflection of light around the Sun (only with a neutron star instead of the Sun).

Related to Deflection of light around a neutron star

What is the deflection of light around a neutron star?

The deflection of light around a neutron star refers to the bending of light rays as they pass near the intense gravitational field of a neutron star. This effect is a result of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that massive objects can warp the fabric of space-time, causing light to follow a curved path.

How does the deflection of light around a neutron star affect our perception of the star's position?

The intense gravitational field of a neutron star can cause the light emitted from the star to appear distorted or displaced to an observer. This can make it difficult to accurately determine the true position of the star, as the light reaching us has been bent from its original path.

What causes the deflection of light around a neutron star?

The deflection of light around a neutron star is caused by the immense mass and density of the star. Neutron stars are incredibly dense, with masses up to twice that of the sun packed into a sphere the size of a city. This massive concentration of mass creates a powerful gravitational field that can bend light passing near the star.

What is the significance of studying the deflection of light around a neutron star?

Studying the deflection of light around a neutron star allows scientists to test and refine Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is one of the pillars of modern physics. It also provides insights into the properties of neutron stars and their extreme gravitational fields, which can help us better understand the universe.

Can the deflection of light around a neutron star be observed?

Yes, the deflection of light around a neutron star has been observed and confirmed through various astronomical observations, such as the bending of light from distant stars as they pass near a neutron star. Additionally, the effect of gravitational lensing, which is caused by the deflection of light, has been observed around neutron stars.

Back