Deflection of light passing close to the sun

In summary, this conversation discusses the effect of the sun's magnetic field and the increase in density of space around its corona on the deflection of light. The speaker questions whether the magnetic field affects light and argues that gravity is the main factor. They mention that the prediction of 1.75 arc seconds was measured in 1919 and that the density of space is not a true vacuum due to the solar wind. However, it is uncertain if this density is enough to affect the path of light, as even near the surface of the sun the matter density is too low to measurably divert photons.
Lesnick
I would like to know how much light passing close to the sun will be deflected by the suns magnetic field and the increase in density of space around the suns corona.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lesnick said:
I would like to know how much light passing close to the sun will be deflected by the suns magnetic field and the increase in density of space around the suns corona.
What makes you think that
a] magnetic fields deflect light, and
b] space has a density?

I don't believe the magnetic field would affect the light. However the gravity would definately. Not sure how much though.

Drakkith said:
I don't believe the magnetic field would affect the light. However the gravity would definately. Not sure how much though.

1.75 arc seconds is relativity's prediction, and what Eddington measured in 1919.

Space is not a true vacum, The solar wind is measured by its proton and electron flux, the closer you get to the suns corona the density of the protons and electrons will be much greater compared to the surounding space. I am not sure if this is dense enough to affect the passage of light.

Even near the surface of the sun matter density is too low to measurable divert the path of photons.

FAQ: Deflection of light passing close to the sun

1. How does the sun's gravity cause the deflection of light passing close to it?

The sun's immense mass creates a strong gravitational field that bends the path of light passing close by. This is known as gravitational lensing.

2. Can we observe the deflection of light passing close to the sun?

Yes, the deflection of light has been observed during solar eclipses and also through observations of distant stars whose light passes close to the sun on its way to Earth.

3. Does the deflection of light passing close to the sun affect our perception of space and time?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the bending of light near massive objects can cause distortions in space and time.

4. How much does the sun's gravity bend the path of light passing close to it?

The amount of deflection depends on the proximity of the light to the sun, but it is typically very small. For example, during a solar eclipse, the deflection of stars near the sun is only about 1.75 arcseconds.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the deflection of light passing close to the sun?

Yes, the phenomenon of gravitational lensing has been used to study the distribution of dark matter in the universe and to discover distant objects such as exoplanets and black holes.

Back