Degree Designations (Differences)

• Programs
  • Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation is about the different university degree designations in the field of engineering, specifically focusing on electrical engineering. The person is confused about the difference between MS/ME and MSE and MS specific degree designations, and is wondering if one is considered better or more advantageous than the others. They are also questioning the differences in coursework and if it makes a significant impact on what is learned.
Cod
I have a question about how university degree designations matter. Doing some research about EE, I've found multiple degree designations. I know the difference between an MS/ME, but confused about MSE and MS specific degree designations. Here are three examples::

1) MS in Engineering with a concentration in Electrical Engineering (UCLA)
2) MS in Engineering in Electrical Engineering (ASU)
3) MS in Electrical Engineering (USC)

Since graduate engineering programs are not typically ABET-accredited, how is each degree different? Is one "better" than another? Is it a huge difference in what you learn? I guess I'm just little confused and want to know whether or not a specific designation is more advantageous than another.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cod said:
Is it a huge difference in what you learn?

What are the differences in the required coursework?

Related to Degree Designations (Differences)

What are the different types of degree designations?

There are several types of degree designations, including associate's degrees, bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, and doctoral degrees.

What is the difference between an associate's and bachelor's degree?

An associate's degree typically takes two years to complete and focuses on general education and introductory courses. A bachelor's degree usually takes four years and includes more in-depth coursework in a specific field of study.

What is the difference between a master's and doctoral degree?

A master's degree is a graduate-level degree that typically takes one to two years to complete and allows for specialization in a specific area of study. A doctoral degree, also known as a PhD, is the highest level of academic achievement and can take several years to complete. It involves original research and the completion of a dissertation.

Can I earn multiple degree designations at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to earn multiple degree designations simultaneously, as long as the requirements for each degree are met. Some students choose to pursue a double major or minor in addition to their primary degree designation.

Do all degree designations have the same level of prestige?

No, the level of prestige may vary depending on the specific degree and the institution that grants it. Generally, doctoral degrees are considered the most prestigious, followed by master's degrees, and then bachelor's degrees. However, this can also depend on the field of study and individual accomplishments within each degree designation.