Degree of liberty of a matrix 2x2

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of degrees of freedom in a 2x2 matrix. The speaker argues that there are three degrees of freedom due to the symmetry in the equation and the fact that knowledge of three coefficients can determine the fourth. However, the other speaker mentions that the number of degrees of freedom can vary depending on the context and gives an example using the general linear group. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for clarification on the specific context the first speaker is referring to.
brunotolentin.4
How many degree of liberty exist, actually, in a matrix 2x2 ?

I think that is three! Because the conic equation can be wrote like this:

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
A & B\\
C & D
\end{bmatrix}
:\begin{bmatrix}
x^2 & xy\\
yx & y^2
\end{bmatrix}
+
\begin{bmatrix}
E\\
F
\end{bmatrix}
\cdot
\begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}
+G=0
[/tex]

But, xy = yx, thus ... + Bxy + Cyx +... = ... + (B+C)xy + ...

So: [tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
A & (B+C)\\
0 & D
\end{bmatrix}
:\begin{bmatrix}
x^2 & xy\\
yx & y^2
\end{bmatrix}
+
\begin{bmatrix}
E\\
F
\end{bmatrix}
\cdot
\begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}
+G=0
[/tex]

Another example: the coefficients of the equation Ay'' + By' + Cy = 0 has three degree of liberty (A, B and C) and it can be converted in a matrix:

y' = a y + b y'
y'' = c y + d y'

So, exist more and more examples that I could give here. But, the felling that I have is the a matrix 2x2 has 3 degree of liberty, although of has four coefficients... My feeling is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for degrees of freedom.
Are the matrices you are looking at the most general?

Look for example at the general linear group ##Gl(n, \mathbb{R})##
This a group containing the ##n\times n## invertible matrices.
You can prove that this group has dimension ##n^2##.

If we take n = 2 you can show this in several ways.
The main thing is that the condition that the matrix is invertible reduces to ##\text{det}A\neq 0##.
So let's say we have such a matrix ##A = \left[a_{ij}\right]##.

The determinant condition is ##\text{det}A = a_{11}a_{22} - a_{12}a_{21} \neq 0##.
It is clear that when we know three components (##a_{11},\,a_{22}\text{ and }a_{12}##), the fourth still has a lot of freedom.
[tex]a_{21} \neq \frac{a_{11}a_{22}}{a_{12}}[/tex]

Clearly there is some symmetry in your examples.
An example is found by considering the Special linear group.
This is the subgroup ##Sl(n, \mathbb{R}) \subset Gl(n, \mathbb{R})## with ##\text{det}A = 1##.
You can see how knowledge of 3 elements gives you the fourth in the case of n = 2.

I'm not entirely familiar with your first notation (what is the colon?).
I also don't understand your point.

The second example is trivial, you start with three coefficients so that will be reflected in your matrix.

I agree with Joris L . The number degrees of freedom depend on the context. Would you elaborate on what you are after?

Related to Degree of liberty of a matrix 2x2

1. What is the definition of the degree of liberty of a 2x2 matrix?

The degree of liberty of a 2x2 matrix refers to the number of independent variables present in the matrix that can be varied without changing the value of the determinant.

2. How is the degree of liberty of a 2x2 matrix calculated?

The degree of liberty of a 2x2 matrix can be calculated by subtracting the number of dependent variables (fixed values) from the total number of variables in the matrix.

3. Why is the degree of liberty important for 2x2 matrices?

The degree of liberty is important for 2x2 matrices because it determines the number of solutions that exist for the system of equations represented by the matrix. It also provides insight into the linear independence of the columns or rows of the matrix.

4. How does the degree of liberty change for larger matrices?

The degree of liberty increases as the size of the matrix increases. For a nxn matrix, the degree of liberty is equal to n-1.

5. Can the degree of liberty of a 2x2 matrix be negative?

No, the degree of liberty of a 2x2 matrix cannot be negative. It must be a non-negative integer.