Delta-Epsilon Limit Calculation

• Thread starter jojo13
  • Start date
In summary: You said |x-10|<0.125. Doesn't that make δ=0.125? Look at your limit definition. And you are still being a little sloppy on the absolute value solutions. You solved 8x-80=1, that's really only a part of solving |8x-80|<1. Review absolute value inequalities, ok? |x-a|<b means a-b<x<a+b. It means the distance between x and a is less than b. Here's another way to go once you've got the absolute value stuff. |8x-80|=8|x-10|. Agree? So if |8x-80|<1 and
jojo13

Homework Statement

For the given limit and the given ε, find the largest value of δ that will guarantee the conclusion of the statement.

f(x)=8x+15, ε=1, lim f(x) = 95
x→10

Homework Equations

So the statement that is on the worksheet says:

Let L be a real number and let f be a function defined on an open interval containing c, but not necessarily defined at c.

the statement lim f(x) = L means that for all ε > 0, there exists δ > 0 such that if 0 < |x-c| < δ then |f(x) - L| < ε
......x→c

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got and I not even sure it's correct.

|(8x+15) - 95| < 1
|8x - 80| < 1

now what?

Physics news on Phys.org
jojo13 said:

Homework Statement

For the given limit and the given ε, find the largest value of δ that will guarantee the conclusion of the statement.

f(x)=8x+15, ε=1, lim f(x) = 95
x→10

Homework Equations

So the statement that is on the worksheet says:
Let L be a real number and let f be a function defined on an open interval containing c, but not necessarily defined at c.

the statement lim f(x) = L means that for all ε > 0, there exists δ > 0 such that if 0 < |x-c| < δ then |f(x) - L| < ε
......x→c

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got and I not even sure it's correct.

|(8x+15) - 95| < 1
|8x - 80| < 1

now what?

Well, that's an ok start. What's supposed to be less than δ for that to be true?

Dick said:
Well, that's an ok start. What's supposed to be less than δ for that to be true?

Do I solve the equation?

So 8x < 81

x < 81/8

81/8 is the answer?

jojo13 said:
Do I solve the equation?

So 8x < 81

x < 81/8

81/8 is the answer?

No, that's not right. You want |8x - 80| < 1 whenever |x-10|<δ. What's the largest value of δ you can choose that will make that work?

Dick said:
No, that's not right. You want |8x - 80| < 1 whenever |x-10|<δ. What's the largest value of δ you can choose that will make that work?

I can not wrap my mind around this. Would it be 10?

jojo13 said:
I can not wrap my mind around this. Would it be 10?

No, you may be a little shakey on how to work with absolute value. If |x-10|<10 then the solution to that is all numbers 0<x<20. Do you see why? All of those values of x don't work with |8x-80|<1, do they? x=10 works. x=11 doesn't work. Which values of x do work? Think about this a little more. Maybe something will click.

Dick said:
No, you may be a little shakey on how to work with absolute value. If |x-10|<10 then the solution to that is all numbers 0<x<20. Do you see why? All of those values of x don't work with |8x-80|<1, do they? x=10 works. x=11 doesn't work. Which values of x do work? Think about this a little more. Maybe something will click.

If |x-10|< .125 then the solutions would be from 0<x<10.125 and that works?

jojo13 said:
If |x-10|< .125 then the solutions would be from 0<x<10.125 and that works?

That's real progress! The solutions are actually 10-0.125<x<10+0.125. But you've got it. How did you get 0.125?

Dick said:
That's real progress! The solutions are actually 10-0.125<x<10+0.125. But you've got it. How did you get 0.125?

Solved |8x - 80| < 1. and that is 10.125. Put 10.125 into |x-10| < δ.

So the largest value of δ that would guarantee the problem would be 10.125?

jojo13 said:
Solved |8x - 80| < 1. and that is 10.125. Put 10.125 into |x-10| < δ.

So the largest value of δ that would guarantee the problem would be 10.125?

You said |x-10|<0.125. Doesn't that make δ=0.125? Look at your limit definition. And you are still being a little sloppy on the absolute value solutions. You solved 8x-80=1, that's really only a part of solving |8x-80|<1. Review absolute value inequalities, ok? |x-a|<b means a-b<x<a+b. It means the distance between x and a is less than b. Here's another way to go once you've got the absolute value stuff. |8x-80|=8|x-10|. Agree? So if |8x-80|<1 and |x-10|<δ what's the largest value of δ that will work?

Related to Delta-Epsilon Limit Calculation

1. What is a Delta-Epsilon Argument?

A Delta-Epsilon Argument is a mathematical proof technique used to show that a certain limit exists and has a specific value. It involves choosing a suitable value for delta (represented by Δ) and epsilon (represented by ɛ) and using them to show that the limit of a function or sequence approaches a specific value as the input approaches a certain value.

2. How is a Delta-Epsilon Argument used?

A Delta-Epsilon Argument is used to prove the existence and value of a limit by showing that for any given epsilon, there exists a corresponding delta such that the distance between the input and the limit is less than epsilon. This is typically done by manipulating the definition of the limit and choosing a suitable value for delta that satisfies the conditions.

3. What are the key components of a Delta-Epsilon Argument?

The key components of a Delta-Epsilon Argument are the input value (represented by x), the limit (represented by L), the delta value (represented by Δ), and the epsilon value (represented by ɛ). These are used to construct the inequality |f(x) - L| < ɛ, which is the basis of the argument.

4. What are some common applications of Delta-Epsilon Arguments?

Delta-Epsilon Arguments are commonly used in calculus to prove the existence and value of limits of functions and sequences. They are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as real analysis and topology, to prove the convergence of series and sequences, continuity of functions, and other important properties.

5. What are some tips for constructing a successful Delta-Epsilon Argument?

Some tips for constructing a successful Delta-Epsilon Argument include carefully choosing suitable values for delta and epsilon, clearly defining the function and its limit, and using algebraic manipulations to simplify the inequality. It is also important to carefully justify each step and ensure that the argument is valid for all possible values of delta and epsilon.