Delta potential: Transmission coefficient

In summary, A delta potential, also known as a Dirac delta potential, is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a particle encountering a localized potential barrier. It affects the transmission of a particle by causing a reflection or transmission. The transmission coefficient can be calculated using the formula T = 1/[1 + (V_0^2)/(4E(V_0 - E))]. This coefficient is important in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of particles and their probability of being transmitted through a potential barrier. The transmission coefficient cannot be greater than 1 as it represents a probability and cannot exceed 1.
SoggyBottoms

Homework Statement

Consider a double delta potential given by [itex]V(x) = c_+ \delta (x + \frac{L}{2}) + c_- \delta (x - \frac{L}{2})[/itex]. The coherence between the amplitude A of an incoming wave from the left and the amplitude F of the outgoing wave to the right is given by:

[itex]F = A \cdot \frac{1}{(1 - i\beta_+)(1 - i\beta_-) + \beta_+ \beta_- e^{2ikL}}[/itex]

With [itex]\beta_{\pm} = \frac{m c_{\pm}}{\hbar^2 k}[/itex] and [itex]k = \frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/itex].

1) Calculate the transmission coefficient T if [itex]c_+ = c_- = c[/itex] and the coefficient T' for [itex]c_+ = -c_- = c[/itex]. Simplify the expressions to show that T and T' are real.

2) Use the coherence equation above to calculate the transmission coefficient T and reflection coefficient R for a single delta potential.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I suppose we now have [itex]\beta_+ = \beta_- = \beta[/itex], so:

[itex]T = |\frac{F}{A}|^2 = \left(\frac{1}{(1 - i\beta)^2 + \beta^2 e^{2ikL}}\right)^2 = \frac{1}{(1 - i\beta)^4 + 2(1 - i \beta)^2 \beta^2 + \beta^2} [/itex]

[itex]T' = |\frac{F}{A}|^2 = \left(\frac{1}{(1 - i\beta)(1 + i \beta) - \beta^2 e^{2ikL}}\right)^2 = \left(\frac{1}{1 + \beta^2 + \beta^2}\right)^2 [/itex]

Before I go further, is this correct?

2) Since we are dealing with a single delta potential, could I just set for instance [itex]\beta_- = 0[/itex]? Then I end up with:

[itex]T = |\frac{F}{A}|^2 = \frac{1}{(1 - i\beta)^2}[/itex]

I know it should be [itex]T = \frac{1}{1 + \beta^2}[/itex], so I guess it's not the right approach, but I can't think of anything else.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Your approach for part 1) looks correct so far. To simplify further, you can use the fact that e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i\sin(x) and substitute for \beta_{\pm} and k in the expressions for T and T'. This will help you to show that they are both real numbers.

For part 2), setting \beta_- = 0 would not be the correct approach. Instead, you can use the given coherence equation to calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients for a single delta potential. Remember that for a single delta potential, we only have one coefficient, c, instead of c_+ and c_- as in the double delta potential. So you will need to substitute c for both c_+ and c_- in the coherence equation.

Related to Delta potential: Transmission coefficient

1. What is a delta potential?

A delta potential, also known as a Dirac delta potential, is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a particle encountering a localized potential barrier. It is represented by an infinitely narrow and infinitely tall potential barrier.

2. How does the delta potential affect the transmission of a particle?

The delta potential affects the transmission of a particle by causing a reflection or transmission of the particle. The transmission coefficient is a measure of the probability of the particle passing through the potential barrier without being reflected.

3. How is the transmission coefficient calculated for a delta potential?

The transmission coefficient for a delta potential can be calculated using the formula T = 1/[1 + (V_0^2)/(4E(V_0 - E))] where V_0 is the height of the potential barrier and E is the energy of the particle.

4. What is the significance of the transmission coefficient in quantum mechanics?

The transmission coefficient is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of particles encountering potential barriers. It also allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being transmitted through the barrier, which is crucial in understanding the wave-like nature of particles.

5. Can the transmission coefficient be greater than 1 for a delta potential?

No, the transmission coefficient cannot be greater than 1 for a delta potential as it represents the probability of transmission, which cannot exceed 1. A value of 1 would mean a complete transmission of the particle without any reflection.

Back